Panera Bread Interview Questions

Updated 29 Oct, 2014
Updated 29 Oct, 2014

2.0

Associate Interview

Just some simple questions about working with other team members or customer services.

Hourly Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Panera Bread.

I had a friend that worked there that referred me to a part-time opening. I had an interview scheduled, but the manager was busy (I guess it was a busy lunch rush or something) and had me wait a good 30 mins before our interview finally got under way. We sat on some bar stools at the front of the store, and discussed my resume, experience why I wanted to work there, and my hours and availability. Very basic general stuff. I think they were desperate for people, and because my friend referred me and insisted they hire me, I was pretty much set.

Interview Questions
    • Should I be worried that you will be working with your friend?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They called, offered me a job, and I accepted. Started ASAP.

Line Cook Interview

The interview only took about 10 min. the manager that was interviewing me didnt even look at me the whole time. he was very short and looked unhappy. i was trying to give him the best of myself but he didnt even wait for me to answer his question. im not here to take your job buddy, i just need a part time job for now.

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Panera Bread.

I applied online and received a phone call the following week for an interview. The first interview took place in the dining room with one of the shift managers. Basic interview questions were asked. "Tell me about yourself", "Tell me about your prior experience", "Why do you want to work for Panera" "Why should we hire you" and some basic customer service questions. The interview was very relaxed and flowed more like a conversation. The interviewer had a sheet of paper with him but he would only glance at it shorty. He was not reading anything word for word which made the interview feel more personal and inviting. He explained a bit of how the scheduling and orientation works and told me he would like to schedule another interview the following day with the GM. The first interview lasted 15-20 minutes.

The second interview was the following day with the GM and took place in the dining room as well. He started the interview with the same opening question "Tell me a little about yourself" and followed with talking about my previous experience and general customer service questions. This interview also flowed more like a conversation and was not too different from the first. A lot of the interviewing consists of talking about scheduling. The GM hired me and told me I would get a call to tell me when the orientation was.

Interview Questions
    • Every question was pretty standard. Just read through all the questions on this site and you'll have no problem. Make sure you can answer "Tell me about yourself". They use it both as an ice breaker and to see how well you are at describing things to strangers which is a skill they are looking for.   Answer Question
    I asked for the minimum wage on the application but if you have prior experience with customer service or the food industry they will start you higher.

Associate Interview

The hiring process went smooth, roughly lasted around 40 min for the whole interview. The General manager and shift manager were both involved in the interview and both where really friendly. So just relax and do your best, no need to be nervous.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Panera Bread.

The Director of Recruiting saw my resume on Indeed and contacted me about the position. Told me when she was going to be in the Panera Bread near me to schedule an interview. Interview scheduled in 15 minute intervals. There were 2 candidates before me and then one after. I am not sure if there was anymore after that being that I left after my interview. I am not sure what positions the other candidates were interviewing for. I dressed professionally for the interview, more so that the other applicants. Interview was professional and basic. Explained the 10 week training process, health benefits. Asked about working hours, availability, what can I offer the company, why Panera bread, cross training examples, what obstacles have I encountered in a job in the past, management style, salary expected etc. I was told that I would be contacted within a week. I was contacted 6 days later with this e-mail:

"Thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider you for the Assistant Manager position with our company.

After careful consideration, we have decided to pursue another applicant for the position.

We will however, maintain your resume in our active files for a period of one year so that we can continue to consider you for any future openings.

Again, we thank you for your interest in our company and wish you every success.

Kindest Regards,

Panera Bread

Human Resources Department"

I was disappointed that I didn't get the job because the interview went very well. I was more than qualified for the position. I am also very surprised that I did not get a personal e-mail from the actual interviewer rather that a "generic" e-mail. It would have been nice to know the reason behind their choice. Also, I think it would have been a better alternative to maybe offer me a job at a lower position within the company with a chance to grow. I was told that there were many positions available due to a new Panera bread opening near by and season being just around the corner. If given the opportunity to work for them, I would definitely because it does indeed seem like a serious company.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Panera Bread.

I applied online and about two weeks later I got called in for an interview. The interview was great! It was super chill. The questions were mainly about myself and my previous job experience. I mentioned the fact that I was a full time student and she asked a lot of questions about that and assured me that they would work it into my schedule. She asked me towards the end if I had a problem scrubbing toilets or doing dishes. She made the interview very enjoyable and I felt confident in my responses. She scheduled a second interview for the next week on the spot. I went to the second interview and the General Manager told me they wanted to hire me. We then set up a time for my orientation.

Employee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Panera Bread.

Applied online and was called the next day for an interview Went for interview and went well. Was told I would know either way the next day and to call at the end of the day. No phone call and I called left message and no return phone call

Baker Interview

I had one interview. The systemic manager was fantastic to speak with. Highly knowledgeable. She wanted to work with me but the position I was after was no longer available.

Interview Questions

Because the training was to far from home. Ann hour and a half drive.

Cashier/Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Panera Bread.

Very easy. The manager was most interested in hearing that punctuality was on point. Be sure to communicate that you, the candidate has a strong understanding of how to provide a high level of customer service. Additionally, it is important to be fast and efficient in this role. Also important to convey your availability for specific days. Luckily, the manager was able to work with me and schedule my work week around my full-time student schedule.

Interview Questions
    • Wasn't difficult but was asked if I had ever encountered a disgruntled customer and asked how to handle the situation.   Answer Question