Oxford University

Interview Question – Microeconomics   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow

Interviewed at Oxford University

Interview Details I am a British Academy postdoc, which does not have an interview procedure. It is a two-step process of writing an application and providing a writing sample, on the basis of which a panel decides to give the award. Prior to applying, one must seek support of the prospective employer (Oxford)

Interview Question – This does not apply, as there was no interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I could negotiate salary to be on the same grade, but higher scale point (made a difference of over £1000) based on my earlier experience. Negotiate!

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview Details Offered job internally. One interview with group leader.

Interview Question – Not difficult   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary on offer wasn't great. Chose industry instead.

Undergraduate Interview

Interview Details writing test 2h, skype inteview, questions in pdf 4 questions

Interview Question – questions   Answer Question

Part-time Clerical Assistant Interview

Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Oxford University in March 2013.

Interview Details Had worked for the University before, so I was not overly worried. I applied for the post through the University's website. I was shortlisted and invited to interview at the Medical Teaching Centre on South Parks Road. It was an interview panel with 3 people, two of whom were academics. I felt they were most unfriendly in their attitude; did not put me at ease at all. At one point I was asked a question but one of the interviewers kept interrupting me as I tried to answer. I felt literally bullied. The department did not even have the courtesy to tell me that I had been unsuccessful.

Interview Question – How would you persuade me to provide you with the examination questions that you need to print?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student

Interviewed at Oxford University

Interview Details Had to network to get in touch with my doctoral supervisor. Didn't really have to go through a formal application procedure. Was asked a few questions related to my work during the masters and bachelors program, and related to research area I'd work in.

Interview Question – Some tricky questions related to my research area.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Oxford, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oxford University in April 2010.

Interview Details A very fast process (~1month) as I had gone directly through the research group leader. There were no problems with processing any paper work and the grant from my funding body came into effect the day I started.

Interview Question – I was asked what I wanted to do after my postdoc   View Answer

Database Administrator Interview

Oxford, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Oxford University in November 2010.

Interview Details Phone interview, online test, 1 to 1 interview, Skills based test testing your foreign language skills.

Interview Question – Translation of passages in French and German into English   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation as it was a contract position.

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student
Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Oxford University in November 2008.

Interview Details You send a CV and Cover Letter, they call you back and invite to arrive to Oxford for the interview.

Interview Question – They give you a scientific paper to read and ask question about the date published.   Answer Question

Wed and Database Developer Interview

Oxford, England (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at Oxford University in June 2010.

Interview Details Normal interview questions, the building is a hidden from the main campus and about 3 miles from the city Centre.
The interview had some strange questions about scripting when you normally do not memorize the scripts that you do a couple of months old.

NOTE: This was the first employer that does not refunded the travel expenses, I had been in much more important interviews and I had my travel, hotel and even personal expenses reimbursed.

Interview Question – Please write a shell script that you had done in the last months   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Oxford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oxford University interview questions and advice in United Kingdom. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Oxford University employees and interview candidates.