OfficeMax

Updated 11 Nov, 2014

1.9

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Impress Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at OfficeMax.

I applied online through the company website. The next day, I went down to the store with my resume and talked with the hiring manager. We set up a face to face interview the next week. The face to face interview went really well. The manager said they would let me know if they have an offer for me in a couple of days. Right on time, the hiring manager offered me the position.

Interview Questions
  • Explain how your skills from previous jobs will apply to this position?   Answer Question
No negotiation. Offered Max rate per hour

Other Interview Reviews for OfficeMax

Impress Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at OfficeMax.

Filled out the online application and then about 3 months later I get called for an interview for the next day. The manager seemed kinda desperate but that's okay he was cool. It wasn't really a formal interview as no interview questions were asked. He really loved my resume and never auctually gave me a chance to talk being he was so excited to hopefully have me on his team.I got hired the same day during the interview and we didn't talk about wages. My advice to you is make a resume that stands out (make one in photoshop) and learn how photoshop works that also a big role in getting me the job. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • the only question I was asked was tell me about your self.   Answer Question
    Didn't discuss wages.

Impress Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview process was very basic. Simply asked about my background, if I was going to school, what I want to achieve further in life, if I was comfortable working in a retail atmosphere.

Impress Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at OfficeMax in March 2014.

They asked a bunch of questions on how I would handle a multitude of situations; teamwork, stress, independance.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked me to sell a random object in the room to him.   Answer Question

Impress Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at OfficeMax.

Low pay, lack of training, management doesn't care and you have to clean the bathrooms

Interview Questions
    • Can you print this now because I was lazy and waited until the last minute   View Answer

Impress Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax.

The hiring interview process was very easy. They ask you if you are in this scenario, what would you do.. They also promote you to upsell stuff even if its not logical to the customers needs, which sometimes they get offended.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions are pretty common questions. See Above.   Answer Question
    Horrible, straight up lied to me.

Impress Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at OfficeMax.

Went through simple interview process, and answeed the scenarios that the interviewer asked me, and was hired pretty quickly after it.

Impress Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling Heights, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling Heights, MI (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at OfficeMax in August 2012.

Walked in the store, and they had me sit in the furniture section of the store. I sat down at a chair and desk and waited for the manager to come interview me. He walked in and said my name and shook my hand. He pulled up a seat and got started. (He seemed very friendly and was not intimidating at all when we started.) He began off with telling me "okay we're just going to ask you a few questions and take some notes, and do not worry, we are not judging you!" as he said with a smile. Which made me feel comfortable. He also had a copy of my resume in front of him, and he asked me questions regarding that(really easy questions, like school schedule and previous work experience). He asked me the questions, asked me how many hours I would like, and asked about my availability. He also told me he is multi-training people to work different areas of the store. It was a quick 15 minute interview and basically I was told I had the job. Oh, and he had me "sell" him something. I laughed and smiled and made it sound good, he handed me a pack of glue sticks to sell, and it was casual and he said it was good. Simple interview, nothing too hard.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you trusted someone. How did that turn out? Did you ever have someone betray your trust?   View Answer
    • Explain a time you worked in a team.   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you took initiative beyond what was expected of you?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had to get a difficult project done on time and how did you successfully complete it?   View Answer
    • I want to test your selling skills. Something easy. Here: *hands pack of glue sticks*   View Answer
    The manager said "You will be getting paid 8.50 an hour, so once the drug test comes back okay consider yourself hired." I didn't even bring up negotiation, but it sounded like you can negotiate how many hours you want to work.

Impress Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at OfficeMax in February 2012.

What is an Impress Associate? They hang out at the printer station and make copies, and print items for people. They even design logos and stuff with the customer.

I got called in to do an interview for them. I got dressed up and everything.I went there and I was escorted to the furniture center (mostly desks and computer chairs). They told me to pick a chair and I sat and waited. The interviewer came and we began. He seemed to be casual, which put me at ease with the way he talked. He seemed laid back. He said that there are 6 questions and so we began.

Most of them were hypothetical questions like, How would you greet a customer, ect. Pretty easy stuff.

general tip -
    link products to other products. For example (there are multiple questions that this can be applied too), one of the questions is, how would you help a customer? Somewhere in you answer you should suggest another item, like say if they are buying a printer, offer them paper and ink.

There was one Question that threw me for a loop:

Q - What have you done to change a co-workers bad behavior and how?

A - Luckily, I had dealt with people I didn't like at my past job years ago, so I could answer it easily, but it is not like this happens everyday and I only had one example. So be ready for this one.

Another uncommon question was:

Q - Sell me a product, any product in the store (I didn't have to walk around and pick one, just off the top of my head)

A - Pick a product, say what it does, and then offer another, like the printer example.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done to change a co-workers bad behavior and how?   View Answer
    • Sell me a product, any product in the store   View Answer

Impress Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, PA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at OfficeMax in February 2011.

Application is online. If you are selected to be interviewed, you will be called into a store and have an interview with the Impress Supervisor. If you pass this interview, you will be interviewed by the Store Manager. If they like you, you will have to submit to a drug test and if you pass, they will offer you the position. The interview is pretty standard. Questions are like any other interview; tell me a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer, tell me a time where you solved a problem, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what was your least favorite quality of your previous manager.   Answer Question