OPNET Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at OPNET.

Interview

Horrible and pathetic ..No respect for candidates time

Other Interview Reviews for OPNET

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at OPNET (Bethesda, MD (US)) in March 2013.

Interview

I was given the details about the Company the the position requirement. Started the interview by asking me the level of Expertise in C, C++. Then the interview went by asking questions in Networking area and finally ending with the next steps in the process.

Interview Questions

• Advantages of Binary Tree and Hash Table over each other   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OPNET.

Interview

1 coding assignment( about priority queues)
    review of the coding assignment

ONSITE:
    2 more coding rounds (HashMaps and OOP concepts)
    Meeting team members

Location

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OPNET (Bethesda, MD (US)).

Interview

My OPNET interview process came in five steps:

1. 15-30 minute get-to-know-you phone call with an HR person
    2. 60 minute technical phone call with a engineer
    3. Timed at-home coding test
    4. 60 minute technical phone call to review the results with a more senior engineer
    5. Full 8 hour day spent at their Bethesda office. This included demos of their products, two more code tests, two more test-review sessions, more get-to-know-you interviews with mid to upper level staff, free lunch.

This might seem overly thorough, but it makes more sense than a 5 minute phone call and a two hour technical interview. When they decide to hire a candidate they want to be 100% sure he or she is the right fit.

All code tests were timed and focused on OO concepts and algorithms. All of them were done in notepad with no IDE, no compiling and thus no need to be syntactically correct. The most important part was the follow up conversation when you get a chance to explain your solution and thought process.

During the process I was surprised by OPNET's emphasis on academic pedigree. Several people I spoke to pointed out how the founders of the company went to MIT, and that many of them also went to impressive ivy league schools like Yale and Stanford. I was further surprised when they asked my college GPA. After ten years out of school I don't see how that information relevant (and I could barely remember). I too went to an impressive ivy league school and I can tell you first hand that it really doesn't mean much. If you're smart then you're smart and that's about it. Some of the brightest engineers I know are self-taught and went to what some might consider "unimpressive" schools. However I understand why this would be used to filter out candidates. As far as the engineers go, some were extremely serious and others were more casual and friendly, but everyone was certainly smart, passionate and excited about their work.

I was told in the beginning that if I made it to the full day session they would know right away whether they'd like to extend an offer. Three weeks later and I have yet to hear back. I've emailed my original HR contact several times and she keeps brushing me off. I am taking this as a "no", but I think if a candidate took this much time out of their schedule (including using a full vacation day) then OPNET should have the professional courtesy to give a prompt response, whether its yes or no, plus some shred of feedback.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OPNET.

Interview

they emailed me a design and programming question to be implemented in Java in 45 minutes. I guess they already had set expectations of what the implementation should look like, and right off the bat, the phone interview started with the interviewer asking me why I had implemented the way i I did. I said I had focused on trying to achieve the business goals in the tight time-frame. The interview did not really go well after that.

Interview Questions

• details of java collections   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at OPNET in June 2012.

Interview

Phone interview was mainly about TCP/UDP and general C++ questions, not too hard. Then, set up a one hour slot to complete a C test. Then, did a code review with another phone call from them. Overall it is not too hard, need to be careful though. HR responses very fast

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at OPNET (Cary, NC (US)) in October 2011.

Interview

it is a on compus interview and two Indians interview me, one of them is from the cary, NC office and he is hiring for that office. He asked me to describe my projects first and they asked me some questions about the project on the resume. then they asked me a coding question, implement a integer stack, which has push, pop, not pop the last one but pop the minimum element each time.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at OPNET in October 2011.

Interview

Well, they started off with a mail asking the time and day for a phone call. I received the phone call and also a written test. I had sent the program in Java. After 3 days they got back to me saying that they need in C. So i sent it to them in C and the next day was called for a code review. Did not hear from them afterwards.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at OPNET (Bethesda, MD (US)) in May 2011.

Interview

The process consisted of screening, coding problem and a code review

1) Screening round was a telephonic interview by senior developer who asked questions on Networking and Java.

2) Next was coding round in which, the recruiter gave 2hrs time limit and gave 3 coding problem.

First 2 problems were pretty basic. The third one was little time consuming. It was a simple OO problem of queueing based on priority.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

interviewed at OPNET (Raleigh, NC (US)) in December 2010.

Interview

Was selected for an hour long Campus interview. Then invited onsite for a good full day's worth of interview. I had about 7 rounds of interviews, with 4 rounds going into indepth coding execercises. The last one, however, was a theoretical interview about networking and related concepts. Overall, a tiring, yet, flattering interview experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation