OHSU

Relevance Date Difficulty

PAS Specialist Interview

PAS Specialist
Portland, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at OHSU in January 2011.

Interview Details Took them almost 2 months to get back to me. They schedule you for a phone interview first then if selected they bring you in to do a group panel style interview. On a hiring note, they usually only select OHSU employees for 1st 7days of an opening and have to have a good reason to hire externally. They asked the typical interview questions, team oriented kind. They will try to often you 1 step up from what you're currently making but they're usually no drug test to take unless its for a specific position. The background check it done through a 3rd party service they verifies your wages, dates of employment, etc. Benefits are good...kinda like a HMO because you get the best coverage by using their facilities. High co-pays though $25 each OV, $200 yearly deductible is good.

Interview Question – How do you deal with drama and gossip?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told the supervisor I was making more than I actually was, so she gave me more than my previous job. But when I did the background check to verify the information I put the correct amounts so when HR got the results it would match up.

Research Assistant II Interview

Research Assistant II

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at OHSU.

Interview Details The hiring process was smooth and quick since i initial started as a Research assistant

Interview Question – There were not difficult questions. The   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not much room for negotiation since I got a job based on a research grant and the salary was fixed.

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Portland, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at OHSU in August 2011.

Interview Details cant remember too much detail. applied online while working at OHSU. 1 phone call to set up interview with both potential supervisors. short interview.

Negotiation Details – they asked what i would like to make...

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OHSU.

Interview Details These vary depending on the supervisor and the department. The online job system seemed simple to use and the results to job queries came within a week or two. It's not perfect, as HR is charged with the initial screening, but pretty good.

Interview Question – None really. Basic interview; I suspect a bit of vetting came before the final interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to slightly negotiate on salary, but it was still quite lower than at my former job. It's grant supported, so I don't know they had much wiggle room. Also some departments seem to rank based on the lowest common denominator. For instance, in other departments someone with my experience would be a Senior Research Associate. In others, that person would be a Research Assistant.

Communications Specialist Interview

Portland, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OHSU in December 2012.

Interview Details Initial phase of application is completely automated. Your cover letter and resume MUST match the search terms from the job description.
Phone interview to elaborate on what you submitted.
In-person meeting to learn more about the position and how your experience matches their needs.
Interviewing manager was very articulate and sharp. Come prepared.

Interview Question – What would you do in the first few months to be as effective as possible?   View Answer

Research Assistant II Interview

Portland, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at OHSU in May 2012.

Interview Details This is for OHSU in Portland Oregon.

Hiring managers will vary and are the immediate supervisors in my experience; mine weren't up to speed on how to do hiring and ended up calling me months after I applied for the job. I interviewed for two different jobs at OHSU, both started out with a phone screen and then progressed to in-person interviews.

Culture on the academic side is pretty casual. Interview questions are not standard from job to job, so research about the lab or group who is offering the job moreso than overall OHSU company information. OHSU's website is large and the organizational structure can be confusing to a newbie.

Negotiation Details – They offered me about 33k, i asked for 45K (comparable to my old salary at previous job) and they came up to 39K.

Registered Nurse Interview

Registered Nurse
Portland, OR (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at OHSU.

Interview Details Be persistent. Your application may be lost. It sometimes takes 6 months to get interview. Helps to know someone who works there.

Interview Question – None. Standard. Very routine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as staff RN. Union determines pay scale. Bonus for degrees, certifications.

Field Technology Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at OHSU.

Interview Details OHSU is extremely thorough when it comes to hiring within IT. Being public they are required to create a job posting, leave it up for a specific amount of weeks, then bring in a specific amount of initial candidates even if they all along planned on promoting within.

Step 1) Email from hiring manager inviting candidate to begin initial testing. This consisted of a 1.5-2 hour written exam with short answer, multiple choice, and essay. There were about 50 candidates in this room

Step 2) Email from hiring manager inviting candidate who successfully passed the written test and falls in the top 25% to do a hands on test. This consists of 3 testing stations.

Step 3) Email from hiring manager inviting candidate who successfully passed the hands on test inviting candidate in for a panel interview. My panel of 10 ITG employees and lasted an hour.

Overall all the employees were great people with generally long tenures averaging 8-12 years. There didn't seem to be the "know it all" who asks questions solely to show off their own knowledge in front of their peers you almost always see in IT interviews. Knowing how great ITG at OHSU is I can see why hiring is so cuthroat despite the wages being on the lower end vs market rate.

Interview Question – Explain a situation you were in the minority but knew you were right. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Beaverton, OR (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OHSU in April 2010.

Interview Details Applied through a program at my school. Questions dealt mostly with any research experience I had or work I did as an undergrad. One phone interview than on site interview.

Interview Question – What are your future plans?   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Project Coordinator
Portland, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at OHSU in December 2011.

Interview Details I had two in-person interviews with two different directors, then a third phone interview with another director of a different area. The communication for setting these up was great through the Administrative Assistant. I perceived everyone to be very welcoming and nice.

Interview Question – What do you think of uncertainty? I wasn't asked the typical interview questions so it was unexpected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked for a higher salary based on my higher education.

Interviews for Top Jobs at OHSU