OHSU

Updated 10 Dec, 2014
Updated 10 Dec, 2014

2.8

Research Assistant II Interview

Contacted by email to set up a brief phone interview. Phone interview was relaxed and lasted about 15 minutes. Then I went and toured the facilities and met with the head of the lab and another member of the lab where they spent most of the time explaining the job position, but also asked me interview type questions.

Interview Questions
    • Do you want to go to grad school or any other further schooling?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OHSU in August 2013.

I applied online and after 2 weeks I received an invite for an interview. The interview was with the PI and lasted ~1 hour. We talked mostly about my past undergrad research experience, a bit about his research, and what the job entailed. After waiting a week, I was told a more experienced candidate was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected. Be prepared to talk about your past experiences.   Answer Question

Anesthesia Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at OHSU in August 2013.

I applied online as required for the position, then they contacted me for an interview. It was to be a position for the South Operating Rooms. I met 2 senior anesthesia technicians, and they were both very friendly. I got to see some of the South OR, which was a huge area of the OHSU Hospital on the Marquam Hill Campus.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a co-worker wasn't pulling his or her own weight at the job?   Answer Question

Research Assistant II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at OHSU.

The hiring process was smooth and quick since i initial started as a Research assistant

Interview Questions
    There was not much room for negotiation since I got a job based on a research grant and the salary was fixed.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OHSU.

These vary depending on the supervisor and the department. The online job system seemed simple to use and the results to job queries came within a week or two. It's not perfect, as HR is charged with the initial screening, but pretty good.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Basic interview; I suspect a bit of vetting came before the final interview.   Answer Question
    I was able to slightly negotiate on salary, but it was still quite lower than at my former job. It's grant supported, so I don't know they had much wiggle room. Also some departments seem to rank based on the lowest common denominator. For instance, in other departments someone with my experience would be a Senior Research Associate. In others, that person would be a Research Assistant.

Lab Technical Assistant/OHSU Blood Bank Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OHSU in February 2013.

After applying online I didn't hear anything for over 2 weeks. I e-mailed the hiring manager directly to see if they had made any decisions for the position. She e-mailed me back saying that they'd like an interview, which was scheduled for the following week. The interview itself was very straightforward, mostly a check to see if I had the required schooling and experience based on the HR-prescribed minimums. After the interview, I didn't hear anything from the hiring manager for over 2 weeks. I tracked her down and asked her in-person if they had made a decision, at which time she took me to her office and offered me the position. All-in-all, very unprofessional and disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was as standard as possible, nothing stood out as unusual.   Answer Question
    Difficult. Management didn't give opportunity to negotiate.

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OHSU in December 2012.

Initial phase of application is completely automated. Your cover letter and resume MUST match the search terms from the job description.
    Phone interview to elaborate on what you submitted.
    In-person meeting to learn more about the position and how your experience matches their needs.
    Interviewing manager was very articulate and sharp. Come prepared.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do in the first few months to be as effective as possible?   View Answer

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at OHSU.

Be persistent. Your application may be lost. It sometimes takes 6 months to get interview. Helps to know someone who works there.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation as staff RN. Union determines pay scale. Bonus for degrees, certifications.

PAS Resource Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at OHSU in November 2012.

Typically, one phone screening interview, then one in-person panel interview (I was internally hired for this position). Prior to being hired at OHSU, the manager of the department I applied for had contacted me after HR forwarded my application and resume to her.

Interview Questions
    • Any question wherein they would ask you how you would handle a particular situation on the job. It varies between departments and clinics, and oftentimes, they give you the "worst case scenario" at its absolute "worst" to see what you'd say.   Answer Question

Field Technology Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OHSU.

OHSU is extremely thorough when it comes to hiring within IT. Being public they are required to create a job posting, leave it up for a specific amount of weeks, then bring in a specific amount of initial candidates even if they all along planned on promoting within.

Step 1) Email from hiring manager inviting candidate to begin initial testing. This consisted of a 1.5-2 hour written exam with short answer, multiple choice, and essay. There were about 50 candidates in this room

Step 2) Email from hiring manager inviting candidate who successfully passed the written test and falls in the top 25% to do a hands on test. This consists of 3 testing stations.

Step 3) Email from hiring manager inviting candidate who successfully passed the hands on test inviting candidate in for a panel interview. My panel of 10 ITG employees and lasted an hour.

Overall all the employees were great people with generally long tenures averaging 8-12 years. There didn't seem to be the "know it all" who asks questions solely to show off their own knowledge in front of their peers you almost always see in IT interviews. Knowing how great ITG at OHSU is I can see why hiring is so cuthroat despite the wages being on the lower end vs market rate.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation you were in the minority but knew you were right. How did you handle it?   Answer Question