Novell

50 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Developer Interview

Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Novell in September 2013.

Interview Details First round - 50 mcq (10 apti + 20 os networking systems concepts) + 20 (data structures - c/cpp pointers and linked list, structures, unions mcqs)
after first round - free lunch in office
second round F2F technical with 2 developers working there.
they asked all general questions in cs, network layers, basic c snippets, os concepts, logical riddle questions. latest gadgets etc.
Third round general testing strategies and HR questions

Interview Question – snippets on structures, unions, pointers linked list questions   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Novell in April 2012.

Interview Details Great Interview Process. Really detailed questions that helped me to focus more clearly on the position's contribution to business goals.

Interview Question – Calculate the CPA for various social media channels.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Found a better company closer to home.

Marketing Manager Interview

Provo, UT (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Novell.

Interview Details Communication leading up to the interview was professional and timely. The HR recruiter did a great job with a screening interview. The actual face-to-face interviews were both one-on-one with the hiring manager and the +1 manager. The team I managed interviewed me as a panel.

Interview Question – I was asked why I would want to join the company as it was struggling.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much negotiation. I was able to push toward the top of the range with HR before interviews. No movement after that.

SSE Interview

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Novell in July 2010.

Interview Details Was asked about few basic linked list qns and pointer basics

Interview Question – Was asked to write a logic for deduplication   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – After negotiation got sign-on bonus.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Provo, UT (US)

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Novell in April 2010.

Interview Details Initial application and contact was very quick. The Director of Product Management himself did the first rounds of interviews to filter more quickly and not wait for recruiters to filter. After the first interview, the second round was a week or so later. Then a long wait.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Novell?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was limited--my boss was great and came in at the max offer point.

Software Consultant Interview

Software Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Novell.

Interview Details It was pleasant experience interviewing for Novell. There were 2 rounds of technical interview followed by couple of managerial & HR interviews based on which I got the offer. The technical rounds were focused on Coding. The interviewers expected you to write Java/C++ code. They expected in depth knowledge on OS & Networking.

Interview Question – Which data structure would you use for storing duplicate key value pair.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Novell in September 2010.

Interview Details 1. Written

Written questions includes 5 sections i. Aptitude ii. OS&Networks iii. Data Structure iv. Java v. C&C++

But while verifying they skip Aptitude part. So you have to score good in technical sections

2. F2F(2 rounds)

- First round was a 1 hr Java F2F. The interviewer asked almost everything from Java. So nothing to mention here. Almost every thing he asked me.

- Second F2F was more brain storming. The interviewer asked many data structure(basic of linked list, tree etc) questions, OS questions like thread, process. Some good java design related questions.

Mind it Whatever position it is, Novell interview gives more emphasis on data structure and algorithms.

Interview Question – 1. You have some classes like A, B, C . Which all classes can class D extend ?

2. Produce Consumer problem using concurrency ?

3. A lot of questions "static" in java.

4. Reverse of singly linked list. BST.

5. Stack implementation

6. Deadlock, process & thread

7. Create your own immutable object

8. How HashMap works.

9. Serialization specially how Externalizable works.

10. How to synchronize static class objects.
  Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer III Interview

Technical Support Engineer III
Provo, UT (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Novell.

Interview Details The interview process involved several expected levels. The people interviewing were professional, knowledgeable, and respectful. Started, as expected with phone interviews and then had a set of interviews first with the manager and then with a panel of team members.
The questions asked covered the full spectrum. There were questions to test expected skill level and guage my ability to reason. There were also questions intended to show problem solving skills. And other questions meant to guage professionalism and team experience.

Interview Question – No question seemed excessively difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Allahabad (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Novell in August 2013.

Interview Details Written test , 50 MCQ 1 coding question . Total Duration 90 min. 13 people were shortlisted out of 150 . 15 question for aptitude, 20 programming skills and 15 system concepts questions . Two rounds of interview . One is technical and second is HR . For technical interview there were 2 people in the panel . Difficulty was average . HR was 1:1 .

Interview Question – Write c program for tail command which can support -F option .   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Novell.

Interview Details Written test of 70 mins.
15 ques aptitude, 20 ques on OS and Networking, 15 Ques on C. All these questions were objective.
There was one C program which was tough

Interview Question – The C Program   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Novell

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Novell interview questions and advice. All 50 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Novell employees and interview candidates.