Northwestern Mutual

779 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

College Financial Representative Interview

Woodland Hills, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2012.

Interview Details Far too long and grueling. Made it seem super difficult, but this place is actually desperate for interns so they can make money off their friends and family members. This place is scummy, but wrapped in a very pretty package.

Interview Question – Gave pointless homework during interview process that annoyed friends and family. Third interview is a daunting presentation that even if butchered, will still get you the job.   Answer Question

Raleigh, NC (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details On campus Interview, Personality assessment, informational interview, practice client interaction and then final interview. Overall the staff and recruiters were really nice and willing to answer questions about the process. They were timely in responding and gave me enough time to respond to the offer. The personality assessment was mainly to see if you like client interaction, and the second to last step really assess if you like calling up people and setting up appointments and talks or not. If you don't like that then you should find a different position.

Interview Question – What about you would you like to improve upon?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received better offer that was not in sales from another company.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Six step interview process, including career/personality profiles as well as market analysis early on in the process.

Interview Question – Completing the 15 market surveys was more difficult than expected.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Commission job with too much risk for my comfort.

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2013.

Interview Details They were easy to communicate with and were easy with scheduling an interview that fit my schedule. I had 3 interviews, which felt unnecessary as the first two were the exact same asking very basic questions. They basically had me read my resume to them and explain it. On the third interview they didn't ask any questions, instead they explained to me what they wanted me to do before the 4th interview. They wanted me to interview 5 people and give their names, phone numbers, and what they do for a living. They also wanted me to ask them questions about how much they make, who is their financial advisor, are they happy with their advisor, and 5 names and numbers of people they thought could benefit from Northwestern Mutual's service. This put me off big time. If I had done this as I was instructed, they would have been able to solicit 30 of my family friends for business and would have known a good bit about their financial situation. The main thing that put me off about this is that then and only then would they have considered me for the internship position. I talked it over with my parents and politely told them no thank you.

Interview Question – As stated above, they asked me to interview 5 people to get their names, phone numbers, occupation, who their financial advisor is, and if they are happy with their current advisor. The last question is to get 5 names and numbers from them of people they think could benefit from our service.   View Answer

Financial Representative Internship Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details Interview was pretty laid back. Basic interview questions like explain strengths and weaknesses. Also explain a time where you had to be a leader. And the mostly just going through the packet and learning about the company. It was a pretty easy interview to say the least?

Interview Question – What do you know about the investment side of Northwestern Mutual?   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Intern Interview

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2014.

Interview Details They called me and told me to listen to what they had to say in the interview. They basically told me the perks of the job, asked a few questions, and then said that they'd do a second interview if I got an offer

Interview Question – What is a time that you had to deal with diversity?   Answer Question

Financial Representative - College Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2014.

Interview Details Met at a career fair and from then on just worked out fine. they invited me to an info session and then i had 2 interviews after that. the interviews went smooth and were casual.

Interview Question – mostly they give out little home work assignments, survey and such   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – since it is commission based no.

Very Easy Interview

Financial Representative Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied through my college career portal, and received a phone call approximately 3 days later. The first phone call was considered an interview, which consisted of pleasantries and some base information about the company. From there I was invited to a 2nd interview (group interview) which consisted of other prospective interns. The 2nd interview was less about engaging with the interns, and further education on what Northwestern is and what it expects from interns. Shortly after the group interview I was invited back for a 3rd interview, and was e-mailed a personality test. The 3rd interview was all about the intern, and finding out from the recruiter if you fit in with the company. I was also assigned a project; or a "Market Survey." The point of this is to gauge how others feel about you as a financial representative, and finding out how comfortable you are at asking friends/family for referrals. At the 4th interview I met with the intern captain, and that person had the final say on bringing me aboard. From this point you start the official job application, and begin studying for the life insurance state exam. The cons: This is a commission based job, and as such it will require you to roll up your sleeves and work hard. The Pros: You can get many licenses while in college, and your hard work is rewarded. If you think this job is for you then please examine your business attire, the other students came in looking sloppy. Perception is reality and first impressions set the tone.

Interview Question – The whole interview process was very informal, so just brush up on common interview questions.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details First met with the Recuiting Manager. Then Took a few easy online assessments. After that was interviewed by managing director. THen asked to complete 15 person market research to see if im still interested in the job

Reason for Declining – Main focus I felt was just selling to friends and family

College Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details I met a NWM recruiter during the career fair on campus. I was almost immediately contacted for a interview. I went through three separate interviews with three different people; never as a panel. The interview questions were not difficult, or unexpected. The hiring process took at least a month; before I was officially hired I had to become Life and Health licensed which took an additional two or three weeks.

Interview Question – How would you approach someone you know (family, friends, etc.) about purchasing life insurance?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since this was an internship there was no negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual interview questions and advice. All 779 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.