Northwestern Mutual

Updated 27 Oct, 2014

2.4

309 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Representative Interview

They're wonderful. Just trying to get a feel if you're a people person. If you don't pass the multiple interviews, you probably aren't cut out to break down doors and make the sales needed in order to make a living.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Can only speak to the initial interview.(step one of what appears to be many) Initial interview was a meeting with a company recruiter. More of a sales pitch from their side, seemed very rehearsed but not aggressive at all. If you are familiar with the industry you will be able to figure out quickly what the position is all about. If you are not familiar with the industry I strongly advise that you do your homework and reach out to a seasoned broker who can explain what the job really is. They are trying to sell you here in this step.

Interview Questions
    • Actually there were no questions in this first interview. They did not need/want to see a resume, sales records, revenue records or anything of the usual sort. However, a few days later you will receive an email with an extremely long questionnaire for you to complete. Be prepared, these are extremely personal questions relating to your personal finances, your own investment portfolio, your income requirements, etc. They are trying to figure out if you have a realistic idea of what the job entails and also want to know if you have the right connections to make it a successful business. This is as close to buying into a franchise as you can get.   View Answer

Not in a liquid enough position to pay the monthly expenses and to wait so long for a positive cash flow.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The interview process is comprised of various steps first is the phone screening. Then you meet with the recruiter in person and they ask why your interested, they get an idea of who you are and if you might be a good fit. Next you are asked to give a presentation to see how you would present in front of a potential client and also to see how you would represent the company. Next they ask you to develop a list of 200 people who you would go into business with. Finally you meet with a person who could possibly be you mentor.

Interview Questions
    • Develop a list of 200 people who you would go into business with.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The company came to the school and I met with one of their representatives. I was given an interview for the next week. The interview was pretty east but I declined the offer because I did not want to sell insurance to my friends and family. It was not the right kind of job for me.

Interview Questions

I did not want to sell insurance. The first thing they wanted me to do was write down 60 names of people I knew with their phone numbers. It was not the kind of work I was interested in doing so I declined the offer.

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

2nd Interview round, met with district manager...pretty relaxed interview, but asked me questions about parents which i did not quite like...only asked a few previous experience questions and why i wanted to work in the financial services industry...rest of the interview was him explaining life insurance and how NWM operates

Interview Questions

Salary is only commission, entry level a bit too independent for me

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through my university and was scheduled for a phone interview shortly after. The interview was really basic. A few days later, I got invited for a second round phone interview which was essentially just like the first one. The third round was in their office. For that round, I had to deliver a presentation about the company and why I wanted to intern for them.

Interview Questions
    • Why Northwestern Mutual and how will we benefit from having you?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through my school website and was contacted about 2 weeks later. I went to their office and was interviewed there. As far as I know, the interview process consist of 3 stages. You will be asked to put a list of 5-10 people in your network down.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

NMN reached out to me through the campus online recruiting website and asked me if I would like to have an interview with them. We had a phone interview since I wasn't able to be on site. The interviewer started the interview with several questions regarding to my family background, which made me a bit upsetting. But other than that everything went well just make sure you know the company well.

Interview Questions

The position is called Financial Rep but it's actually more like a sales job, which is not what I was looking for.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Was referred by a friend. Went for an initial interview and received a call for a second interview about a week later. Both interviews were very behavioral and personality based. Made it to the final interview in which you must give a 5 minute presentation about yourself. Overall a very pleasant interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • None to really speak of. The only section that I found slightly confusing was actually talking about insurance. But you will learn all of that in training.   Answer Question
    No negotiating involved.

Financial Representative Interview

Emailed regarding a summer internship to a local recruiter who then called to get to know me a bit better. There is also an online personality/sales test that you must take to see your dynamic and for them to see how you would fit with the company. Met with them at the career fair to get a little more information about the job. Set an interview for a couple of weeks later.