Northwestern Mutual

Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.4

51 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

This is not a Financial Advisor role. There is 0 base salary, and you get commission for selling insurance. I applied and got an interview almost instantly. After 5 minutes into the interview I could tell it was for selling insurance.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2014.

Spoke with a recruiter, who cut the preliminary interview short after they found out that I have not personal or professional connection in the region that I was applying to for selling financial products. Unfortunately, this company seems to focus on selling financial products to friends and family, which can sour relationships.

Interview Questions
    • Do I have any personal or professional connections in the region that I am applying to.   View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

First interview, and then second interview, followed by a questionnaire. And then last interview.

Interview Questions
    • What motivates you to work? How do you deal with rejection?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Initial interview on the phone, then meeting in person.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Was contacted through a phone call. Interview was very professional with straight forward questions. I felt that alot of the questions were geared toward my interactions with other people. This can be as expected though since it was for a advisory position.

Not the best fit

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

This is not a financial advising position. This is an insurance sales position. They want you to make as many phone calls and meet with as many people as you can to try to sell them insurance. It this is not a problem for you then the money can be quite decent after a few years.

Interview Questions
    • There isn't really a hard question. Either you will like selling insurance or not.   Answer Question

This is a sales position disguised as a financial advisor position.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Naperville, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

My financial advisor saw me as a potential candidate and had the company contact me to recruit me. I currently already had a job as an accountant, so we had multiple discussions about the job and whether I would be a good fit. I was very interested in working for the company, just not as a financial advisor. The questions were all directed towards that, and the direction of the discussion never changed. I knew I didn't want the position, but there was never any other potential positions discussed in further detail. A company this large, but in order to get your foot in the door it seems you have to start as an advisor.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very straightforward due to the nature of my situation - already having a job I was happy with. What do you like/dislike about your job, where do you see yourself in 3 years, 5 years, strengths/weaknesses etc. The recruiter was very pleasant to deal with and wish the process could have gone forward, but in a different direction.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2014.

First interview was a phone call, second interview was a face to face and went over the job position, third interview was assessment overview and the fourth was a market assessment

Interview Questions
    • weren't really any difficult questions, they just ask you about yourself, and then the assessment pretty much tells them if you are a good fit for the company   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fayetteville, AR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Started off with a group interview, and then I was asked back for a one on one interview after I took a personality test and scored extremely high. They asked me to survey 10 people about their financial position and insurance situations; it was at that point that I realized this job just wasn't for me. I didn't want to call people all day and look at my friends and family as a dollar sign. It's very hard for someone in college to sell insurance to those with the money.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly easy basic interview questions. What has been your biggest failure, and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2013.

Interview process was fairly extensive. Must attend 4 interviews, one of which requires you to complete what they call a market survey, which involves you contacting your closes friends and relatives to inquire about life insurance. I declined the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were fairly easy but, they don't really go into detail about the difficulty of the job. Basic questions like, what is your selling tactics, why do you think you will be good for the position.   Answer Question

Did not like the uncertainty of pay.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!