Northrop Grumman

Relevance Date Difficulty

Logistics Planner Interview

Logistics Planner
Palmdale, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in March 2013.

Interview Details It was a phone interview. Be prepared and just be yourself. If you have the experience then things will work out. The hiring process is long and drawn out. Be prepared to be patient, there are a lot of people that are interviewing for this job. Ask at the end to see how you compare to the other candidates or what you could have improved on.

Interview Question – Given a program deadline, what would you do in your realm of knowledge to help make it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I just came out of the military and didn't really negotiate. I was just happy to be given an opportunity to work for this company.

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Rolling Meadows, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2014.

Interview Details Applied online via the Northrop Grumman careers website. Contacted by hiring manager via email a few months later. Initial phone interview with hiring manager and an RF systems engineer. Brought in for an on-site interview at the Rolling Meadows facility a few weeks later. Met with HR representative for a few minutes, followed by a panel interview with six or so employees. Mixture of functional managers and RF and EO/IR technical personnel. Asked to give a general overview of my experience / skillset, followed by a couple questions about my resume and some situational / behavioral questions. Opportunity to ask questions. Afterwards met with one of the higher up EO/IR managers, before finishing up with HR. Short tour of the facility to see the cafeteria area and new gym with showers. Whole interview took about 2 hrs. HR said they would be in touch. Followed up with HR via email a few weeks later. HR representative was kind enough to let me know they were moving in another direction.

Post interview treatment with regards to travel reimbursement was less than professional. Since I was traveling from out of town, HR had me contact the corporate travel agency to make flight, hotel, and rental car arrangements. Normally, this is billed directly to the company. Unfortunately, the hotel that they normally use for direct billing was fully booked, so I had to pay for the hotel out of pocket. I was told by the travel representative and the Northrop HR representative that this would be reimbursed. After the interview I mailed the receipts for hotel and other expenses to the HR representative as they requested. Three to four weeks later I sent an email to the HR representative inquiring if they had received the receipts since I had not yet received reimbursement. When the HR representative did not respond after a week, I sent another email to both HR representatives inquiring if they had received the receipts and were able to get the expense report into the processing queue. When I did not hear back from either HR rep, I sent an email to the hiring manager inquiring if he needed anything else from me in order to process the travel expense reimbursement. It has now been over two months and I have not received travel reimbursement or even an email from either HR rep or the hiring manager with regards to the expenses I submitted. As I point of comparison, I later interviewed with another Fortune 500 company and was reimbursed for travel expenses within 11 days. If you do interview with Northrop and have to travel from out of town, you may not be reimbursed for meals, hotel, and rental car gas even if they tell you that they will reimburse you beforehand.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. Standard questions and resume, technical experience, and some situational / behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Internship
Ban Phone Savang (Laos)

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in July 2014.

Interview Details Had one phone interview. Last about 20-25 minutes. Got a call a week and a half later saying that I got the position. Had to get my drunk test and paper work finished within a week to start ASAP.

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Manager Interview

Manager
Huntsville, AL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details Was told I was hired by 3 different people and make arrangements to move to Huntsville. It wasn't until the last minute and a phone call that they brought me in. The process was a cat and mouse game until then. The hiring when it started was quick as was the interview. All very reasonable questions.

Interview Question – None. The typical drugs, arrest, travel percentage, education level, skill sets.....   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 55000 to be evaluated for growth.

Northrop Grumman Interview

Northrop Grumman

Interviewed at Northrop Grumman

Interview Details I was asked about SQL questions, like how to write queries. They asked stuff about my resume, like the computer science courses that I took, and what types of algorithms I used to implement them.

Interview Question – Explain what a hash table and hash function is.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

IT Help Desk Analyst Interview

IT Help Desk Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details The hiring manager called me for a 30 minute phone interview. Asked the minimal amount of questions. The manager didn't seem all that serious or stern about the job. Did not ask too many technical questions and the ones he did were very easy.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult about it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was given an offer and did not negotiate

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Azusa, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in May 2014.

Interview Details It was several months between when I applied and when I heard anything from the company for an interview. I had a telephone interview that wasn't anything too difficult. They were really nice and asked questions about projects and experiences that I had listed on my resume. They did "test" my technical knowledge of some of my projects, so be sure to be very comfortable with what is on your resume. The phone interview lasted about an hour. The next day I got a call that they were interested in flying me to the site for an in-person interview for a couple weeks later. The 2nd interview lasted 3-4 hours and consisted of 3 2-on-1 meetings with people of the company. Again, they asked mostly questions about my resume and behavioral questions, but they did ask some technical questions and had me explain a technical process that I had used in a certain project. Everyone there was really nice. However, after the interview, I was told to call the HR in a week to see if there was a decision made. I did, and she said it would be another week or two. After that, I never heard back from the company. I called several times to try to reach someone and emailed them and never heard a response. I was never given a formal rejection, my online profile just said "No longer under consideration." After the pleasant experience I was given throughout the interviews, I was very disappointed in the manner I was treated after the interview.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult. Everything mostly based on my resume experiences or other behavioral questions.   Answer Question

College Technical Interview

College Technical

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details Was contacted about a month after applying online, heard back after my interview in one week. One phone interview with a few engineers I'd be working under. The questions were pretty straight forward, mostly explaining stuff off your resume: projects you've done, etc. Be sure to know the definition of every word in job description (reading the relevant Wikipedia article will do) For example, if "computation fluid dynamics" is somewhere in the job description and you don't know anything about CFD, you should at least take the time to read that Wikipedia article - and the linked articles throughout if you want to be safe.

Interview Question – Nothing particularly tough - just know your vocab.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Guidance Engineer II Interview

Guidance Engineer II
San Diego, CA (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details Got contacted by a recruiter to set up an interview though email. Had to reschedule couple of times. The interview itself was somewhat of a panel interview with the manager and a couple of people from the department. They were all pretty friendly and we basically talked about my previous experiences and what kind of work I will be doing. Waited over 6 weeks and still haven't gotten any answer from them. I assume I was rejected

Interview Question – Asked a lot about the things I listed on my resume.
No behavior questions
  Answer Question

Program Cost Schedule & Control Analyst I Interview

Program Cost Schedule & Control Analyst I
San Diego, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied for the position the last week of March, 2014. Got a phone call directly from the hiring manager the first week of June. Chatted with him for about 20 minutes, it was very pleasant. He gave me a broad overview of the position, asked me about my experience, what I knew about the company and asked me to come in for an face-to-face interview. The gentleman gave a more detailed description of the position and explained some of the company moral programs (sports clubs, etc.) they currently have.

I did plenty of research on the company. I examined their financial statements for the last 5 years, found what percentage of the markets shares they held for the sectors they are in, and found some current news on them as well. Unfortunately, the gentleman I interviewed with monopolized the vast majority of the interview time. I wasn't able to really expound or drill in to much of my experience I've acquired from the military, or what I know of the company. For the one question I was able to ask, he gave a very prolonged, long winded answer just as he did with the job description. In addition, there were supposed to be two other people at the interview who did not show up, but yet the interviewer took copies of my resumes for them. So, I don't know if they attended interviews for other candidates, but if they did, that seems a bit unfair because I would have to assume they have input on the hiring decision if the interviewer took copies of my resume for them.

Ultimately, I was not selected for the position. When I asked what my weak areas were so I could improve on them, I was told "I had no weak areas."

Interview Question – None. I was asked about a portion of my experience and why I though I was a good fit for the position.   Answer Question

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!