Northern Trust Interview Questions

Updated 8 Apr, 2015

2.8

IB Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northern Trust (Toronto, ON) in May 2009.

Interview

sat down for about 2 hours, didnt really feel like an interview at first. laster wel over an hour and a half. actually got to sit down with company ceo for about 40 minutes. very tough questions and little emotion at this point. Definitely took the fun out of it in the end.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

I can not say enough good things about my interview experience with Northern Trust. At every touchpoint I was impressed with the professionalism of the organization: from the talent-acquisition VP who was my main point of contact, to the recruiting team that set up the process, and finally the marketing team members. At least four people who I met with had been at Northern for 10+ years (some 30+ years); this fact further underlined for me that people who work for Northern stay at Northern because the organization puts employees-first. At no point during the interview did I feel like I was just another "recruit" being put through a gauntlet. They treated me as a welcomed guest throughout the process, kept me updated in a timely fashion, and were eager to answer any and all questions.

Interview Questions

• There were a number of questions as to how I would implement a certain technology.   1 Answer

Asset Management Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

- Brief information session with other candidates on the morning of on-campus interviews.
    - 30 min 1:1 Campus interview
    - 1 hr 2:1 phone interview
    - 30 min 1:1 phone interview

General Notes:
    I applied through my university's recruiting site and heard back for a first round interview a week after submitting my application. The interviews were straightforward and mostly behavioral. I had to give the same stock pitch during each of my interviews because it was on my resume and I had recall details from my analysis (catalysts/risks, multiples, discount rates, market cap, etc). In addition to normal background research on the company, I would recommend learning about "smart beta" and the "proprietary quality philosophy" Northern Trust uses in its investment process.
    I had a good interview experience overall. My interviews felt much more like conversations and interviewers were definitely not reading questions off of a checklist. However, I wish there had been more opportunities to speak with previous interns about the program. Also, I would have liked to visit their offices to get a better sense for the work environment and culture of the firm.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to attend your university?
      Why asset management/investments?
      Why Northern Trust?
      Stock Pitch
      Describe relevant projects
      How would a professor describe you?
      What do you like to do outside of school?

Answer Question

Campus Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

I was very excited about this opportunity but unfortunately the interview process was a complete disappointment. The hiring manager rescheduled phone screen with me three times. More specifically, the first time she forgot to put our interview on her calendar, the second time she asked to reschedule 30 mins before our scheduled call, and the third time she simply forgot to call me. After that third time I decided that I was no longer interested in the position and emailed her to let her know that I wanted to withdraw my candidacy from consideration. I don't think this is a typical experience that everybody has with this company but it definitely left me disappointed and wondering whether I will want to apply for any position there again.

Valuation Reporting, Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northern Trust (Singapore (Singapore)) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through company website. Took me less than 2 weeks to hear from the HR. Got a phone interview prior to face to face interview. Basically just asking on finding out why you want to apply for the job.

Interview Questions

• What did you expect from the job?
      The role of Valuation Reporting analyst?
      Background of Company
      What have you done that are related to the job applied?

Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

I received the call from HR in the first week, and was scheduled a phone interview in the following week. and was invited to an on-site interview on the same week. The whole process went well, but since I don't have background of banking stuff, they might think I'm not good at telling story or expressing myself. Anyway, HR said the decision will be made within two week. Let's cross fingers!

Interview Questions

• If you made mistake on a project and how to explain to your manager.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

Applied for the position out of school and got a call from HR about 2 months later for an in office interview. Got to the office and had a 3 panel interview with the vice president and 2 team leads. Immediately started firing off questions regarding my background and they started to pry at details from my resume. Nothing too unexpected or difficult. They asked what a bond was and to name a stock. Pretty simple.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

Please brush up with the basics of accounts,finance,investment banking.

Step 1:- Group discussion it was more of a talk on your own topic.

Step 2:- Aptitude test.

Step 3:- Hr round questions are asked from your cv.

Step 4:- Technical round :- basic questions derivatives, bonds, banks.

Investment Support Services Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

the interview process is pretty straight forward. However the hr response time is some what slot. if you are lucky enough to get an offer they don't budge in terms of negotiations. In terms of advice on how to interview it is pretty standard just be sure to use alot of the key words from the requirement sections of the search criteria

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no room for negotiations. flat rate offer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

There were 1 screening phone interview with HR, 1 phone interview with a team member (not the hiring manager) and 1 on-site interview with 6 people. All that happened within 1 week.

Interview Questions

• When the data do not have enough number of defaults, how would you build a default model?   1 Answer