Norfolk Southern

80 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Commercial Real Estate Intern Interview

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2013.

Interview Details The first step in the interview process is a phone interview where they ask general questions about classes, strength of extracurricular activities, work experiences and general skills. The second round is a small group interview, mine was two managers in commercial real estate and one human resources professional. There are no technical questions, mostly theory based.

Interview Question – How experienced are you with negotiating leases? If I put you on the phone with a corporate executive right now, how prepared are you to give him the hard line?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Revenue Accounting Interview

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2011.

Interview Details I did not go through a hiring process. Try to intern first before actually working for the company.

Interview Question – I did not go through a hiring process. Try to intern first before actually working for the company.   Answer Question

Internal Audit Intern Interview

Roanoke, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied for the position in October 2013 and forgot all about it until I got a call in the beginning of March a couple days after that they scheduled a phone interview which was basic behavioral questions and then a week and a half after that I schedule an in-person interview. They flew me to Roanoke and put me up in a nice hotel and then I interviewed in front of 3 people and they asked pretty much the same type of questions as the phone interviewer, there were no technical questions. 5 days later I received a phone call and was offered the position.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in the transportation industry?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The salary is competitive but non-negotiable.

Management Trainee Interview

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2014.

Interview Details Very positive experience all around. Everyone is nice. It started from college. I had a interview face to face on campus and was then flown down to ATL about a week or two later. Once there they set you up with a room in a hotel close by and you meet up for dinner. After dinner, you're free for the rest of the night. The next day you have your interview. Two separate interviews and they ask pretty basic questions. If you find yourself stressed out just remember its mainly about how you answer your questions! They want to see how you react under scrutiny and stress. Good Luck! I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Question – Do you know about Ohm's Law?   Answer Question

Audit Internship Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details Applied online. Received email to complete online assessment a couple days later. Contacted and had a phone interview within 2 weeks of applying.

Interview Question – Asked to tell a little about myself, why I was interested in the position and then the remaining questions were about leadership. How I showed leadership, how I handled problems while in a leadership position, etc.   Answer Question

Marketing Internship/Coop Interview

Norfolk, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied online then received email to complete an online assessment test. After completion of the assessment test I received a phone call to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview went well, very basic questions, and was invited to onsite interviews.

Interview Question – Tell us about a recent analytical project you completed.   Answer Question

Co-Op Interview

Co-Op

Interviewed at Norfolk Southern

Interview Details Applied online, phone interview, then in person interview with hiring managers. Had to get a lot of medical tests even for an internship... But all worth it!

Interview Question – Pretty basic interview for the internship process. They focus a lot on excel, and analytical ability, but don't test your ability, rather they take your word for it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for interns

Government Relations Interview

Government Relations

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details Applied and didn't hear back from them for 3 months. They sent an email inviting me to take an online assessment. Heavy on logic questions. Another 3 months went by before they email again asking me to do an interview. Did a phone interview with someone from HR. The following week they asked me to participate in an online seminar about working for the company, benefits, the rest of the hiring process, etc. After this had another phone interview with the supervisor of the posted position. About a week after that I received a very brief email saying they were no longer considering me.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Railroad Conductor
Charleston, WV (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2010.

Interview Details Everyone is in a large Hotel conference room. Promptly starts @ 8am, if you are late, you are done. Test, Interview, and usually know if you got the job within 48 hours.

Interview Question – Questions are driven about safety.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Set by union

Industrial Design Co-op Interview

Interviewed at Norfolk Southern

Interview Details Was contacted by an HR representative then asked to participate on an on campus interview.

Interview Question – What is a difficult engineering situation you've encountered and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Norfolk Southern

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Norfolk Southern interview questions and advice. All 80 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Norfolk Southern employees and interview candidates.