Norfolk Southern

Updated 14 Dec, 2014
Updated 14 Dec, 2014

2.8

Conductor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Completed their candidate profile. Then applied for a few conductor positions.

Received a email inviting me to hire sessions. Locations with a date and time.

Received a phone call confirming my attendance.

Arrive early. The session begins at 8:00 sharp and they want the attendance taken before that.

They give you a briefing. They let you know upfront the reason there are not people lined up from the hotel to the high way is because of the life sacrifices you make starting out. They also tell you if you fail the drug test you will be put in a database and blacklisted for a lot of jobs. Then they tell you the perks of it and give you a 15 min break to consider everything.

3 people out of 20 didn't return after the break.

You then take an aptitude and personality test. They grade it and ask you to leave the room while they make the final cut for interviews.

Interview is straight forward. I don't think anyone that wore jeans, boots, and wore a hat made the cut. They cut it down to 8.

I was lucky enough to be told everything sounded great at the conclusion of my interview.

The next morning I got the conditional job offer.

Now I am scheduling my physical and background test.

None

Maintenance of Way Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Applied for summer internship on company website. Didn't get an invite for an interview until about 4+ weeks later. Initial phone interview with HR Rep lasted about 30 mins. Asked how much I knew about the position, my academics, and leadership experience. Discussed the position in more detail, and then invited me for a face-to-face interview. For 2nd interview, met with an HR rep and an engineer in the company. Asked basic interview questions and went in-depth about the position. Only about 20 - 30 mins.

Salary is set.

Management Trainee-Maintenance of Way Interview

I had an interview directly following a career fair. Interviewed with two guys. Asked a lot about leadership experience. Were impressed with my knowledge of the company.
    Following interview was asked to move on to second stage, an online questionnaire.

Interview Questions
    • How would you be an effective leader with workers who are 30 years older than you?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Norfolk Southern   Answer Question

Maintenance of Way/Structures Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in November 2014.

Spoke to recruiter at the University career fair. Applied online. Asked to complete a reasoning test online. Scheduled a phone interview. Flown in to Atlanta on Thursday, Interview with HR and hiring manager for about 30 minutes on Friday Morning. Called with an offer a week later

Interview Questions
    • Very laid back and great conversational style interview   Answer Question

Operation Supervisor Trainee Interview

You are contacted by email from Norfolk to go down to the corporate headquarters. The interview is with a group of individuals with different backgrounds where you learn about the company and the different opportunities. Then you are taken to a separate 1 on 1 interview were you are asked more detailed questions about your past experience.

Interview Questions
    • They ask a lot of questions about your experience in the field you are trying to be hired for. I didn't encounter any strange or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

My interview process started at school. It seemed that this interview was to see if I met the basic requirements - G.P.A, Major, etc.. My next interview was more at the end of an information session. Once again a very basic interview. My next two interviews were with the department managers versus HR. These interviews were very intense and specific. They asked a lot of analytical and customer service questions.

No negotiation.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2014.

I spoke with recruiters at my school during a career fair who later contacted me to schedule an interview. I was then interviewed by two recruiters who were very polite and straight forward. It was a standard interview with mostly behavioral questions and being a student with limited job experience a majority of the interview was revolved around my resume and an explanation of the position itself and the training involved.

Interview Questions
    • They did not ask any questions you should not expect during an interview.   Answer Question

Operations Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2014.

Applied online. After a few days, I was asked to complete an online assessment. After 3 weeks, they invited me for an on-site interview. I was also asked to participate in an hour long virtual career day (it was a presentation about the company) which is necessary for all the people who want to work for the company. In the interview, first, they gave all the candidates for this internship position a test (an hour long or something like that). The test was about concepts of OR, statistics, and logic of programming. After the test, each interviewee went to a separate room for their interviews. I was interviewed by two of the managers. The questions were very detailed about the resume and whatever I mentioned there. After a week or so from my interview, they called me to tell me about the offer and then they send me the offer via email.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are all from your resume. So, make sure you know your own resume!   Answer Question
    It was an internship. So, no negotiation

Communications Signal Interview

Very straight-forward process. I did a prescreening interview after submitting my resume. They asked questions such as what is your leadership experience, do you have construction experience, what is your leadership style, etc. They emailed me saying they wanted an on-site interview in which they flew me down to Atlanta, GA for a 45 minute interview with some high-up managers within the company. They asked tell me about a time that you had to troubleshoot, what is your experience with engineering, how would you go about fixing a malfunctioning circuit, and other similar questions.

Interview Questions
    • There really were no difficult questions, just be confident and own the answers.   Answer Question

Coop/ Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in September 2014.

Very friendly. Easy to talk to. Asked typical interview questions expected at any interview. Felt the overall experience was very positive from an interview standpoint as well as an experience standpoint. I look forward to moving on to the next steps and believe the interview experience is a reflection of the standards that Norfolk Southern holds themselves to.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you faced adversity".   View Answer