Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated 17 Oct, 2014

2.5

345 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Nordstrom.

The hiring and interview process was a bit lengthy but pretty straight forward. I applied and shortly after, got called to do a phone interview. After doing well with my phone interview, I was then called back in for a one-on-one interview with the head of HR. She was the same person that conducted my phone interview. She basically asked me typical retail interview questions and tested me on my customer service skills.
After that interview, I had one last interview with my soon to be manager. She asked me a few more retail and customer service related questions and then asked me to do some on the spot selling in her department. It was pretty simple and actually kind of fun. All-in-all, it was a success. I got the job!
Just smile, be confident and remember the customer is always right!

Interview Questions
  • What would you say to a customer that was trying to return something that was obviously not from the store?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Sales Associate Interview

open interview was where I picked 3 departments to interview with. The second dept gave me the job. Very loud in room when interviewing with managers. Was asked about a time when I had a hard to sell item.

Sales Associate Interview

Initially I had a very good experience with the interview process. The intitial contact was timely in response to my application, and the first round open interview went very well. I was called back within 24 hours for a second interview with the department manager. I felt that went well also, despite the manager being 20 minutes late to start the interview, and was told by the manager I would hear back from her whether I got the job or not by the next day. After that I heard nothing at all, from any one in the company. I called back two days later to speak with the manager and left a message and still never received any response or returned call. I'm disappointed to not have been hired, but moreso with the lack of communication after my second interview. I don't think that indicates a symptomatic fault in Nordstrom itself, but certainly with a manager who only had to decide between 3 candidates.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most competitive environment you have ever been a part of? What is one example of how you helped a client with high expectations?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Brought in for an interview with several managers. Asked questions that were similar to previous managers. The managers were very nice and encouraging. It was a pretty laid back interview, I felt very comfortable and relaxed. Once we interviewed with one manager, we went back to a common room in which we waited for the next manager to come and get us.

Interview Questions
    • Not many difficult questions, just more questions about past experiences.
      "Why do you want to be in sales?"
        Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in October 2014.

Yayy im so excited I just had my interview and got hired!

So I applied for the Nordstrom position last week on Wednesday. Received a call friday from the HR assistant asking if I could come in for an interview today which is Tuesday. Interviewed with the HR manager then store Manager.. told they would call me (tomorrow) Wednesday. However they called me on my way home from the interview offering me the position. . Sooo yayyy! Superr excited!

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

phone interview first, basically to see what kind of position you've worked in retail before and if you can go along with their "customer is first" philosophy. in person interview with the HR person from the phone interview and if you pass that then an interview with the department manager where you'll potentially be working.

Sales Associate Interview

One interview with department manager and got a call 5 days later with an offer. Interview really depends on the manager, mine was formal and exam-like whereas others I've had with Nordstrom have been laid-back and conversational. Prepare to answer mostly standard behavioral questions and questions about your previous experience and how it relates to sales.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, 100% commissioned.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online to work in BP and was never contacted. I then reached out about my application and they asked if I would be interested in working in the kids department and I said yes. I was then scheduled for an interview and was called 2 days later letting me know I got the job!

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Applied online, had a phone interview with HR asking general behavioral questions (tell me about a time you failed, etc.) and questions relating to Nordstrom culture (how do you feel about working on commission, etc.). Around one week later had an in-person interview with the department manager. Was asked to "sell" to her and was asked more behavioral and situational questions. Pretty easy overall.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part was selling to the manager as they played the part of various difficult customers.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online and got an email shortly after for a phone interview. Very basic conversation and super friendly, why Nordstrom? Tell me about yourself. What is a goal you set but didn't achieve.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult work situation and tell your solution   Answer Question