Nordstrom Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct, 2014
1,072 Interview Reviews

2.6

Department Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

one interview with the store manager. This was as transfer from one store to another so the interview process was a bit easier than most. As long as your confident that you knowledge and experience necessary for running a department and show that you know what you are doing you will pass the interview easily.

negotiated salary

Sales Associate Interview

open interview was where I picked 3 departments to interview with. The second dept gave me the job. Very loud in room when interviewing with managers. Was asked about a time when I had a hard to sell item.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

First step is a phone interview with recruiter. Next is a phone interview with hiring manager. This one was surprisingly short (<30 minutes) filled with easy questions. Final was in-person interviews in downtown Seattle, half day with several employees of varying responsibilities.
    Some of them were really nice and I could see myself enjoying working with them. I saw how the Nordstrom culture permeated through them. One was quite cold with general communication difficulties, former Microsoft. In fact, there seemed to be two types of people there. Those who had been with the company for a while and those from Microsoft who recently joined. There seemed to be be some upheaval within IT lately - staff turnover and new leadership. So there was a great deal of confusion among the staff and seemingly doublespeak from the leaders.
    The questions that were asked were easy to answer, but you will have to tolerate the uncertainty within the organization to survive there. May be good, may not be.

Interview Questions

Did not like the emerging Darwinian culture.

Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Phone Interview with HR
    Interview with department manager
    Interviewed with Assistant Manager
    Then interviewed with Department Manager
    Got in a call in about a week
    Accepted Job offer
    Started New Hire Process in a week

no negotiation

Beauty Advisor Interview

Applied online and they sent an email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very basic, took about 10 minutes. She asked questions like: Why Nordstrom? Would you excel in a competitive based work environment? Tell me about a time you had a angry costumer and how did you deal with it? They said they would send out an email in about a week to let me know about the next steps in the process, but I haven't heard anything and its been 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you were being compared to someone else, and how did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Initially I had a very good experience with the interview process. The intitial contact was timely in response to my application, and the first round open interview went very well. I was called back within 24 hours for a second interview with the department manager. I felt that went well also, despite the manager being 20 minutes late to start the interview, and was told by the manager I would hear back from her whether I got the job or not by the next day. After that I heard nothing at all, from any one in the company. I called back two days later to speak with the manager and left a message and still never received any response or returned call. I'm disappointed to not have been hired, but moreso with the lack of communication after my second interview. I don't think that indicates a symptomatic fault in Nordstrom itself, but certainly with a manager who only had to decide between 3 candidates.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most competitive environment you have ever been a part of? What is one example of how you helped a client with high expectations?   Answer Question

Assistant Department Manager Interview

Phone interview with HR
    Interview with department manager
    Interview with store manager
    Lots of scenario type of questions.
    For example customer issue.. Working on a team... Commission selling
    Letting them know early on that you want to grow with the company is a golden star from the start of the interviewing process.

Interview Questions
    • What is the hardest customer situation you have ever had go deal with? And what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    No negotiating

Customer Service Representative Work At Home Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

This is the whole process!!
    First I applied online. Then I received an email to schedule a phone interview the soonest time was a week away. Phone interview consisted of lots and lots of questions (45 min) why nordstrom? Best customer service experience? History of nordstrom? What type of Distractions would I have at home? Why do I want to work at home? Example of a time I exceeded expectations? It went great then the recruiter sent me 2 tests to do at home (writing assessment) (multi tasking test) then I called 4 days later and they said I passed and then they emailed me that they would call me in 2-3 business days for a interview in 2 business days they called In 2 business days and scheduled my virtual interview 2 days away the day of the virtual interview I received an email for background check info which I filled out promptly. I then set up my webcam and entered the chat room for the interview with the recruiter. I was very nervous as I thought this was my last interview and would find out that day (2 days ago) but the recruiter said he would call or email for the POSSIBLE NEXT STEPS I just couldn't believe there's still more to do if I'm considered after reading all the reviews everyone seemed to be hired in 2-4 weeks and seemed like a smooth process I am very qualified and even hold my associates in fashion and 3 years call center customer service so I really don't know if I got it or not or why they haven't contacted me. What do you think? Really stressing ATM and need opinions please!

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Brought in for an interview with several managers. Asked questions that were similar to previous managers. The managers were very nice and encouraging. It was a pretty laid back interview, I felt very comfortable and relaxed. Once we interviewed with one manager, we went back to a common room in which we waited for the next manager to come and get us.

Interview Questions
    • Not many difficult questions, just more questions about past experiences.
      "Why do you want to be in sales?"
        Answer Question

Tailor/Fitter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in October 2014.

Be careful. I got a call to interview from the department head. He seemed to be beating around the bush about specific job responsibilities but wanted me to come in ASAP to interview. After asking some very direct questions I found out that even though the ad HR put out was for a full time tailor, the position available was for a part time non-sewing receptionist job, earning substantially less per hour. My submitted resume did not include any qualifications for that position yet they still thought I'd be a good candidate. What a waste of their time and mine.