Nordstrom Interview Questions

Updated 15 Apr, 2015
1,288 Interview Reviews

2.6

Management Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received e-mail confirmation stating that "We have reviewed your application and think that you have the qualifications and skills we're looking for. We'd like a chance to get to know more about you" so they invited me to online schedule a phone interview. Later on, HR called to say they would bypass phone and schedule me for an in-person interview. All was professionally communicated: time, location and prep needed, and I even received a reminder call a day before the interview.
    In-person interview questions were very general and intended to find out what you stand for, what's professionally important to you, how you would relate to people you'd manage, and how serious you are about sales in general (and, the 'bottom line', of course). Everyone seemed quite pleasant (they are HR, after all, so they know how to do that). I was impressed.
    Unfortunately, I was not invited to the second interview, but what disappointed me even more, was the way they communicated it. My interviewer phoned me the very next morning and left a kind message to call her back. When I did, she seemed to not know who I was, and even asked who called me that morning (!!?). Then she said she had my info, but would have to put me on hold to look at it (!!), and then came back saying that she did not have anything to tell me and would call me the following day "after discussing the subject with her associates". A couple of hours later, another person called to inform me that they were "going with another candidate".
    Needles to say, my first impression that they were professional and organized, was ruined. It's a shame.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Had to do three interviews, all of which they asked very similar, if not the same questions. Felt like a waste of time because they had written down all of my responses in every interview and it was like they didn't even read them before they did the next interview. I was so excited to work for this company but my third interview was difficult because the lady was so stern and emotionless. It was hard to have a conversation and be enthusiastic when the other person doesn't seem to care at all. Also, I went in for my third interview and nobody was there to interview me. Poor scheduling and overall just a waste of time. She said she would call me within 72 hours to let me know if I got the job. It hasn't been that long yet, but I already got a different job.

Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in January 2015.

Interview

Okay where do i start with this company?

I have no idea what this company knows what a decent interview in retail should be! I wasted my time for a week and i was not happy... So anyway i applied online and got an email back that they were interested in meeting me in a primary interview. I had to schedule i time with them via email which i did. Arriving at the interview a month later, there was about 50 people at the same time as me. On top of that their was about 40 managers all together to interview us. We all had to wait in a hallway and wait to get called by a manager. Once we did get called they brought us into a conference room to talk to us one by one. WE were by average 100 people in the same room trying to talk to one an eachother. I have no idea what this company had in mind when they plan the interviews outlook but i can say that interviewing people is really not their thing. As the interview followed they ask the most radical question which totally surprise me since i have never heard anything like this in a retail interview with my 5 year experience. When we finish our first interview we had to meet with another manager in the same room. It was very hard to understand whit all these people talking at the same time. Again they asked us question and scenarios. I answered them well but i still was not sure what the person meant by what she was saying. Once the interview were done they told us that we could leave and they would call us in the next 72 hours for a final interview.

I got called 2 days later and went for a final interview the following week. As i arrive to the interview they told me to wait at one spot so i did. I waited 1 hour for the manager to find me because the lobby person directed me in a opposite direction. When the manager found me she directed me in the same conference room as last time, but with about 40 people this time. We talk and 5 minutes later she told me that i was too serious to work at Nordstrom and that the last person that interviewed me thought i was not out their. She told me that i was not the right fit because i was too serious and they needed welcoming people. So we concluded the interview and i told her thank you for letting me know my mistake. After then i left all confuse.

I have never heard of someone being to serious at an interview... what do you expect an acting scene of an employee you can rely on? Also the planning of the interview was by far the worst i ever heard or seen so far in my life. I am not being mean because i didn't get an offer, i am only being honest. The company looks great for a career and a great shopping spot, but i hope you're able to manage a fake personality to get in!

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a person was returning a pair of shoes they bought 1 year ago and they were all broken into pieces? What would you say to that person?   Answer Question

Sales Person Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Interviewed by two managers, first one I suspect was a screener to make sure you had a pulse and werent an idiot and the second one asked standard Bee ess questions pulled out of an American HR manual.

You know the drill, tell em what they wanna hear, show you have a personality and are able to look after the client and you should pass it.

Negotiation

No negotiation. Take or leave it.

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom (Ottawa, ON).

Interview

They are very aggressive at getting you in to interview. Quite polite during the process however show little respect for your current position or background. I feel like they wasted a lot of my time asking me back for multiple interviews given the follow up that was provided to me

Interview Questions

• Looking at the description of 5 candidates pick 3 you would hire and why?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Calgary, AB) in November 2014.

Interview

Went through phone screening after applying and set up an in store interview. Then had an interview with HR, which then brought in the department manager. Interview went well and was told I would get a call within 3 business days, did not, so I followed up with the department manager. I did state I was OK with working in other departments, so she forwarded me to Women's Shoes and I set up an interview with one of the assistant managers. The assistant manager said she thought I would do awesome and would call me back in a few hours after the interview. Did not ever get a call back. Went in store to follow up with the manager, gave phone number, and got a call later saying they hired someone else. They were all very friendly through the whole process and looked as if they were going to hire me, I would recommend managers to not lead on applicants and at the very least send an email saying someone else was chosen. I pretty much had to fight my way for an answer, probably would have been left hanging if I didn't take initiative to follow up.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

The interview process was very professional. I went through two interviews, one that was a little more casual and quick and the next more lengthy and in-depth. Since I could not meet with the interview team face to face for my second interview because I was in college, they were accommodating and allowed me to have a phone interview which they assured me would not sway their decision one way or another.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Got 4 interview processes, first with the assistant manager then the actual manager, with the brand i wanted to work and then the account executive. It was easy. They wanted more to ask about you and they talk in depth about the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you grow a counter business.   1 Answer

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom (Redondo Beach, CA (US)).

Interview

I applied online for the Cerritos location. I got called for an interview about 2 days later from the assistant manager from the South Bay Galleria. I scheduled an interview for the next week.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I handled customer situations at my previous jobs. I.was asked to sell my handbag.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiating. You make commission only.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom (Portland, OR (US)).

Interview

I appreciated the interview process. Because I was a former Nordstrom employee I found the questions asked to be very easy and was able to directly apply the Nordstrom values to my responses. The Nordstrom values are very important to know before the interview.