Nordstrom

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

They are very aggressive at getting you in to interview. Quite polite during the process however show little respect for your current position or background. I feel like they wasted a lot of my time asking me back for multiple interviews given the follow up that was provided to me

Interview Questions
    • Looking at the description of 5 candidates pick 3 you would hire and why?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

Went through phone screening after applying and set up an in store interview. Then had an interview with HR, which then brought in the department manager. Interview went well and was told I would get a call within 3 business days, did not, so I followed up with the department manager. I did state I was OK with working in other departments, so she forwarded me to Women's Shoes and I set up an interview with one of the assistant managers. The assistant manager said she thought I would do awesome and would call me back in a few hours after the interview. Did not ever get a call back. Went in store to follow up with the manager, gave phone number, and got a call later saying they hired someone else. They were all very friendly through the whole process and looked as if they were going to hire me, I would recommend managers to not lead on applicants and at the very least send an email saying someone else was chosen. I pretty much had to fight my way for an answer, probably would have been left hanging if I didn't take initiative to follow up.

Product Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Initial phone interview with HR was very upbeat & encouraging. Follow up scheduling with hiring manager was timely and 2nd phone interview was thorough & positive. Third time interviewing was in person with many members of NPG team back to back. Loved the people but at this level there was confusion about the role that was open & what I was there for. Lots of honesty & insight to internal workings & struggles of team. Wasn't too excited about the dysfunction & reality on the ground I heard about.

Logistics/Stock Processing (Seasonal) Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

After filling out an online profile and application, I received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was about 5 minutes long. Basic questions: why do you want to work at Nordstrom, why do you want this position, tell me about a time you had to work with a team and what did you do to contribute to the success or the team, what would you do if a manager asked you to do a task that you believed was 'below you' and a few other questions.

At the end of the phone interview, the lady told me she would give my file to the dept manager who would schedule an in-person interview.

Manager called, was very friendly. Scheduled appt. went in for interview and basically told me she wanted me on her team and would start processing my paperwork with HR.

I felt very comfortable in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are qualities you think are important in a candidate for this position?   Answer Question
    N/A

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Was screen interviewed over the phone by HR and was asked my availability and a couple behavioral questions. Then I received a call to do an interview in store. I was interviewed by the Department manager, and two assistants. Questions were based off of previous work experience. Typically retail knowledge and mostly was just told about the job, what it's like working on commission and asked a couple customer service questions. Know in detail what you did at your previous jobs. Always focus on customer service! Customer is key at Nordstrom.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions if you are a people person and have worked retail.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I filled out an application and a few days later I was called and asked to come in for an interview. I arrived a few minutes early and waited for about 10 minutes and was approached by the women who was interviewing me that day. I followed her into a small office where we took a seat at a small table. She started by asking me about my pervious work experience. Then after a few more questions about myself she told me she was going to ask me a series of questions and I was only allowed to answer yes or no. She asked me some questions and then asked me "Have you ever experienced flow while in a group of coworkers?" I asked her to clarify what she meant by flow. She told me she was not allowed to explain any of the questions and I was only allowed to answer yes or no. I told her I did not understand what she meant by flow so my answer would have to be no. After that I felt like she became a little unpleasant and I did not end up getting hired. I am a Norstrom customer and I've always had a good shopping experience with them. However, I hope their interview process has changed and improved and focuses less on unimportant mind games and more on what the potential employee can bring to the company.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever experienced flow while in a group of coworkers?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

There were two interviews. Since I was away at school I was able to do the interviews over the phone. They asked me a series of questions about myself and my experience. They questioned me on what I was able to bring to Nordstrom with my experience and skills.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you were a leader and you failed. How did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

After taking a personality test and submitting my application, I was called by the HR Director to set up a phone interview. During that 15ish minute interview, she asked me why I wanted to work at Nordstrom, what department I wanted to work in, why I felt I would be a good candidate for that department position and a few other questions regarding my previous experience. After that, I was called in for an onsite interview where I met with the Cosmetics Department Manager. She asked questions similar to the above then requested that I did her makeup, and while doing her make-up sell her the products, the goal being that she would purchase something at the end. We did not break character during the make-up application. The onsite interview lasted about 45 minutes total. I was called two days later and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Would you consider yourself competitive?   View Answer
    I was told the hourly and commission rate at the offer stage. I chose not to negotiate because the rate was within my range.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Applications are submitted via their online job portal. You then receive a phone call and will be asked basic questions about scheduling and some behavioral questions. If you move on to the next round, you will meet with the manager or assistant manager of the department for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you faced a difficulty ethical decision.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

It's taken some time to see results. I applied on line, met w/the head of the cosmetics dept. and told I need to pass a phone review from talent plus.which has now, as of 3 days After meeting w Dept Head and told I was a "perfect fit", the phone call has Not taken place.