Nordstrom

Updated 25 Feb, 2015
1,222 Interview Reviews

2.5

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Had to do three interviews, all of which they asked very similar, if not the same questions. Felt like a waste of time because they had written down all of my responses in every interview and it was like they didn't even read them before they did the next interview. I was so excited to work for this company but my third interview was difficult because the lady was so stern and emotionless. It was hard to have a conversation and be enthusiastic when the other person doesn't seem to care at all. Also, I went in for my third interview and nobody was there to interview me. Poor scheduling and overall just a waste of time. She said she would call me within 72 hours to let me know if I got the job. It hasn't been that long yet, but I already got a different job.

Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in January 2015.

Okay where do i start with this company?

I have no idea what this company knows what a decent interview in retail should be! I wasted my time for a week and i was not happy... So anyway i applied online and got an email back that they were interested in meeting me in a primary interview. I had to schedule i time with them via email which i did. Arriving at the interview a month later, there was about 50 people at the same time as me. On top of that their was about 40 managers all together to interview us. We all had to wait in a hallway and wait to get called by a manager. Once we did get called they brought us into a conference room to talk to us one by one. WE were by average 100 people in the same room trying to talk to one an eachother. I have no idea what this company had in mind when they plan the interviews outlook but i can say that interviewing people is really not their thing. As the interview followed they ask the most radical question which totally surprise me since i have never heard anything like this in a retail interview with my 5 year experience. When we finish our first interview we had to meet with another manager in the same room. It was very hard to understand whit all these people talking at the same time. Again they asked us question and scenarios. I answered them well but i still was not sure what the person meant by what she was saying. Once the interview were done they told us that we could leave and they would call us in the next 72 hours for a final interview.

I got called 2 days later and went for a final interview the following week. As i arrive to the interview they told me to wait at one spot so i did. I waited 1 hour for the manager to find me because the lobby person directed me in a opposite direction. When the manager found me she directed me in the same conference room as last time, but with about 40 people this time. We talk and 5 minutes later she told me that i was too serious to work at Nordstrom and that the last person that interviewed me thought i was not out their. She told me that i was not the right fit because i was too serious and they needed welcoming people. So we concluded the interview and i told her thank you for letting me know my mistake. After then i left all confuse.

I have never heard of someone being to serious at an interview... what do you expect an acting scene of an employee you can rely on? Also the planning of the interview was by far the worst i ever heard or seen so far in my life. I am not being mean because i didn't get an offer, i am only being honest. The company looks great for a career and a great shopping spot, but i hope you're able to manage a fake personality to get in!

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a person was returning a pair of shoes they bought 1 year ago and they were all broken into pieces? What would you say to that person?   Answer Question

Sales Person Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Interviewed by two managers, first one I suspect was a screener to make sure you had a pulse and werent an idiot and the second one asked standard Bee ess questions pulled out of an American HR manual.

You know the drill, tell em what they wanna hear, show you have a personality and are able to look after the client and you should pass it.

No negotiation. Take or leave it.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON
    Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

They are very aggressive at getting you in to interview. Quite polite during the process however show little respect for your current position or background. I feel like they wasted a lot of my time asking me back for multiple interviews given the follow up that was provided to me

Interview Questions
    • Looking at the description of 5 candidates pick 3 you would hire and why?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

Went through phone screening after applying and set up an in store interview. Then had an interview with HR, which then brought in the department manager. Interview went well and was told I would get a call within 3 business days, did not, so I followed up with the department manager. I did state I was OK with working in other departments, so she forwarded me to Women's Shoes and I set up an interview with one of the assistant managers. The assistant manager said she thought I would do awesome and would call me back in a few hours after the interview. Did not ever get a call back. Went in store to follow up with the manager, gave phone number, and got a call later saying they hired someone else. They were all very friendly through the whole process and looked as if they were going to hire me, I would recommend managers to not lead on applicants and at the very least send an email saying someone else was chosen. I pretty much had to fight my way for an answer, probably would have been left hanging if I didn't take initiative to follow up.

Retail Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I overanalyzed the video interview slightly, but it was fairly easy. It took about 20 minutes to complete through HireVue, and they contacted me immediately for an in-person interview which will be held this Friday. I'm extremely excited.

Interview Questions
    • They were simple interview question like explainiing a time I was in a difficult situation, why I want to work for Nordstrom, and can't remember the last one.   View Answer

Business Management Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

submitted resume and received an email to complete a video interview.
    The video interview took about 15 minutes and they asked 9 questions. After each question was asked, you had 30 seconds to come up with your best answer and video record yourself answering it. Once completed you could not retry or re answer the question.

Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I had to apply 3x before getting an interview. I dumbed down my resume. Printed it on hot pink paper (applying for makeup sales) and finally got an interview. They spent maybe 3 minutes with me and said that they would get back to me. Asked me no questions of substance.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. The pay was set rate.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

It was a fairly standard interview process. After applying, I received a phone call asking them when I would be available for an interview. Once you get there, you meet with someone up front in their human resource department and wait to speak with the manager of whatever department you applied for. I worked for this company multiple times and one time for a different department I also had to have an interview with the Human Resources manager as well. Overall, it was a pretty common interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest, how aggressive are you?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Nordstrom set me up with an online interview which was followed up with an in store interview with HR and a department manager. During the interview I was asked basic interview questions, and was asked to sell a manager a product on the spot. Two weeks later I received a phone call letting my know I had been offered the internship.