Nordstrom

Updated 21 Jan, 2015
1,186 Interview Reviews

2.5

Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in January 2015.

Okay where do i start with this company?

I have no idea what this company knows what a decent interview in retail should be! I wasted my time for a week and i was not happy... So anyway i applied online and got an email back that they were interested in meeting me in a primary interview. I had to schedule i time with them via email which i did. Arriving at the interview a month later, there was about 50 people at the same time as me. On top of that their was about 40 managers all together to interview us. We all had to wait in a hallway and wait to get called by a manager. Once we did get called they brought us into a conference room to talk to us one by one. WE were by average 100 people in the same room trying to talk to one an eachother. I have no idea what this company had in mind when they plan the interviews outlook but i can say that interviewing people is really not their thing. As the interview followed they ask the most radical question which totally surprise me since i have never heard anything like this in a retail interview with my 5 year experience. When we finish our first interview we had to meet with another manager in the same room. It was very hard to understand whit all these people talking at the same time. Again they asked us question and scenarios. I answered them well but i still was not sure what the person meant by what she was saying. Once the interview were done they told us that we could leave and they would call us in the next 72 hours for a final interview.

I got called 2 days later and went for a final interview the following week. As i arrive to the interview they told me to wait at one spot so i did. I waited 1 hour for the manager to find me because the lobby person directed me in a opposite direction. When the manager found me she directed me in the same conference room as last time, but with about 40 people this time. We talk and 5 minutes later she told me that i was too serious to work at Nordstrom and that the last person that interviewed me thought i was not out their. She told me that i was not the right fit because i was too serious and they needed welcoming people. So we concluded the interview and i told her thank you for letting me know my mistake. After then i left all confuse.

I have never heard of someone being to serious at an interview... what do you expect an acting scene of an employee you can rely on? Also the planning of the interview was by far the worst i ever heard or seen so far in my life. I am not being mean because i didn't get an offer, i am only being honest. The company looks great for a career and a great shopping spot, but i hope you're able to manage a fake personality to get in!

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a person was returning a pair of shoes they bought 1 year ago and they were all broken into pieces? What would you say to that person?   Answer Question

Sales Person Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Interviewed by two managers, first one I suspect was a screener to make sure you had a pulse and werent an idiot and the second one asked standard Bee ess questions pulled out of an American HR manual.

You know the drill, tell em what they wanna hear, show you have a personality and are able to look after the client and you should pass it.

No negotiation. Take or leave it.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

They are very aggressive at getting you in to interview. Quite polite during the process however show little respect for your current position or background. I feel like they wasted a lot of my time asking me back for multiple interviews given the follow up that was provided to me

Interview Questions
    • Looking at the description of 5 candidates pick 3 you would hire and why?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

Went through phone screening after applying and set up an in store interview. Then had an interview with HR, which then brought in the department manager. Interview went well and was told I would get a call within 3 business days, did not, so I followed up with the department manager. I did state I was OK with working in other departments, so she forwarded me to Women's Shoes and I set up an interview with one of the assistant managers. The assistant manager said she thought I would do awesome and would call me back in a few hours after the interview. Did not ever get a call back. Went in store to follow up with the manager, gave phone number, and got a call later saying they hired someone else. They were all very friendly through the whole process and looked as if they were going to hire me, I would recommend managers to not lead on applicants and at the very least send an email saying someone else was chosen. I pretty much had to fight my way for an answer, probably would have been left hanging if I didn't take initiative to follow up.

Retail Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Nordstrom.

The phone interview was easy. They asked basic interview questions involving how you feel about working on commission and sales. After the phone interview you have an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • During the in person interview the most difficult question they asked was to go to the rack in the room and pick out an item and then sell it to the person interviewing you.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It is $10/hr when you are training. It is based off of commission when you are on the sales floor.

Service Desk Technician I Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Applied online. Heard from a recruiter about 3 months later. Took a 30 minute phone screen. Was asked to come in for an in person a week later. Hour long panel interview. 5 people.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really out of the blue or unusual. Questions are very standard and easy for anyone who's ever worked in any IT field.   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate for a higher hourly wage. Took about 2 weeks of back and forth.

Sales Associate - Men Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Had a very informal but nice interview with Mens department Manager and got hired on the spot. But when I came to work the first day the manager wasn't there only his assistant was and he didn't know he hired a new person so my first day was very unwelcoming and uncomfortable.

Interview Questions
    Its commission so whatever department your in is the commission rate you get so you can't negotiate even if you have many years of selling under your belt.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Applied online, got an email confirmation the next day asking to set up a phone interview. Ten minute phone interview the following day. Was asked about customer service experience, how I've dealt with a difficult situation, how I've dealt with a failure, how would I do in a competitive environment, why I wanted to work for Nordstrom and what locations I most wanted to work at. Was told I sounded like a great candidate and an in-person interview with a manager was set up for ten days later.
    Interview was with an assistant manager. It was very casual. We spoke in the offices. I outlined my experience with emphasis on customer service. We discussed which brands I thought I was a good fit for, how passionate I was about skin care. She brought me downstairs to meet the dept. manager. I again outlined my relevant work experience. He asked, "Why Nordstrom?" and wanted to know if I was competitive. He seemed to like my answers. The assistant manager then gave me her contact info and said she would be in touch soon. I got a call two hours later saying they wanted me to meet the vendor rep for the line they had in mind for me. In less than an hour I got a call from the rep. We set up a meeting for a few days later.
    Once again I outlined my relevant experience, she told me a bit about her brand, goals for this particular counter. She wanted me to visit a counter at another store to experience their service and call her back if I thought it was a good fit.
    I emailed her back to say I wanted to move forward with the brand. She said she would be in touch with Nordstrom. Three days later I got a call saying they didn't think my experience was adequate for the position.

Interview Questions
    • I wish I had prepped and thought of experiences to share before I was on the phone. I ran through numerous possible scenarios before my in-person interview so I wouldn't have to waste time trying to remember a specific event.   Answer Question

Personal Stylist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom.

This is a position that is generally offered to a stores top salespeople in house. There is a one on one interview with the department manager, whom was possibly the original person to approach you about the available position.

Simple

Sales Person Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

It's been years since, so honestly I can't remember it all too well. I had a phone interview with HR, then they scheduled me a time to sit down in person. A woman from HR met me at the Nordstrom E-bar then proceeded to ask me a series of questions. It was a pretty standard interview, just remember to smile lots and really think about your responses. Don't ramble! Keep your answers short and concise. Afterwards, she asked me if I had time to meet with the dept. manager of the dept I was applying with. Of course I said yes, then I had my last face-to-face interview with the dept. manager. A few hours later I got a call from the dept. manager offering me a job on her sales team.