Nordstrom

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Visual Stylist Interview

Visual Stylist

I applied through another source and the process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details Painless. Asked about work history, your love of fashion, your future goals. Your flexiblitly, due to some night shifts, due to sale and regional visits. How much are you wanting to make, money wise.

Interview Question – Nothing that anyone should not expect   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I knew what is was before going in. I have been wanting in this company for a long time now. I would have taken less.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2010.

Interview Details I applied online for a retail position, but in no particular department. I received an e-mail within a few days to set up a phone interview within the week. The phone interview was with that stores HR Manager and about 15 minutes long consisting of generic retail questions - What is good customer service?, Why Nordstrom?, What do you like about retail? At the end of the call we set up a time to interview in person. I interviewed with the HR Manager at the Nordstrom I applied to. Very relaxed interview. a lot of the same type of questions: Best/Worst customer service experience? Do you follow fashion? What is your best/worst quality., Expand on your previous experience. At the end of that interview the HR Manager excused herself to see if the department manager was available (I was still not told at this time what department), she was not so we scheduled a second interview. At the second interview I met with the department manager, a lot of the same type of questions/getting to know you, and also a few regarding specifics to her department. I had previous experience with fitting suits, and outerwear so I was placed in Studio/Narrative and Coats (in season), though I did not apply for this specifically. During the interview the department manager did a role play exercise involving me trying to help/sell her a specific blouse. I honestly did terribly, but told her that I was a quick learn and would take and apply any sales advice. I left the interview not feeling exceptionally confident, but the department manager called me within several days offering me the position.

Interview Question – Role playing exercise trying to sell specific products.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. They offered me a high (for retail) base starting hourly salary because of my experience, and was told that it was expected that I would eventually be making more per hour with commission.

If your commission for the day figures out to be higher per hour than your base salary that will be your hourly salary for that day, if it lower then they use your base hourly salary - so you will never earn lower than your base salary per hour.

Operator Interview

Operator
Salem, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2011.

Interview Details Aplication, HR calls you for phone screening. Next you come in for an interview. If they like you and think you can be a success to the company they will hire.

Interview Question – How do you deal with relationships?   View Answer

Retail Management Interview

Retail Management

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details The internet process was pretty simple but repetitive at points. It started off with a phone interview that included many situation questions and questions about why you would be a good fit. The good part is that they tell you at the end of the phone call whether they want you to come in for a face-to-face interview rather than waiting around for a call or email.

The face-to-face interview is a panel interview in front of about 4 or 5 managers that ask you many of the same questions you answered during the phone interview as well as more situation questions. Then after answering a ton of annoying questions one manager will bring you out to the sales floor to mock sell something to them.

Interview Question – Sell me something in the store   View Answer

Sales Person Interview

Sales Person

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details About a 5 day process. Applied online and was called to come in for an interview in their trend fashion department. Basic questions about experience, customer service, commission, and teamwork. The second interview consisted of a styling exercise. I was given a certain type of customer (30 yrs. old, weekend attire, size, etc.) and had 5 minutes to gather at least 4 outfits that exceeded a price. Then I had to assemble them in a dressing room and explain why I chose them and how I would sell them to the customer. A little bit nerve-racking but as long as you go with your gut and think on your feet it's fun! At the end of the interview however, they told me that the trend department job had been filled (during my interview apparently?) but a position in the jewelry department was available. Of course I agreed to interview for that as well but I found that very unprofessional and the jewelry interview very lackluster in retrospect.

Interview Question – How would you deal with the competition in your department for commission and how would you handle commission from a customer if they wanted to move onto another department?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Beauty Advisor
Walnut Creek, CA (US)

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details After applying online on nordstrom.com's career site, I was sent an automated verification my application was being processed. Then I was contacted by phone for a short, informal interview and ended with a scheduled in-store interview with the beauty department manager. I prepped a lot, got to know the company and the brands that are sold. The day of the interview, the beauty department was very busy. The manager was not in so the assistant manager ended up interviewing me. She was very professional and personable and I thought the interview was going well when she asked if I had time to go on to my HR interview. Of course I was enthused at the prospect! The interview also went well (I thought), and the HR woman said I would be contacted within the next week. I never got a call so I was proactive and followed up. I received no word. I still don't know where I went wrong...

Interview Question – How would you make your weekly sales quota when there is a slow week?   Answer Question

Support Specialist Interview

Support Specialist
Englewood, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

Interview Details I looked on nordstrom.com under careers and located the positions i wanted to apply for. I recieved a call from HR asking general questions then asked if i could come in. They asked 3 questions. I needed to be as detailed as possible for all. The interview seemed very quick.

Interview Question – Often times a person needs to be a motivator in a negative environment. Tell me about a time you proved to be a positive motivator in a negative situationan.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The amount of work compared to the pay did not seem reasonable

Very Easy Interview

Loss Prevention Manager Interview

Loss Prevention Manager
New Britain, CT (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

Interview Details Applied online, a recruiter called the house not long after- I'd been in the same position at a different company for years, so it was a breeze. Recruiter called from the west coast, tried to get a hold of the district manager. Never got a hold of him even though she said I passed with flying colors. Resorted to sending my infer to the district manager as a last effort. 3 weeks later. No rejection letter, no call either.

Interview Question – There wasn't . I used to interview staff so I was ready for everything   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Commissioned Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

Interview Details Interviewed by multiple managers for nearly an hour. Asked pretty typical interview questions, nothing too confusing. Review other common interview questions for preparation. When I interviewed, Nordstrom brought in quite a large group of individuals whom took turns switching from table to table of managers for mini interviews.

Interview Question – Why Nordstrom?
Sell me this... (and then they proceeded to hand me a random item)
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, you get paid min wage + commission.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details The process begins with an online application, if approved there is a phone interview and possible a second phone interview, the next step after this is an in person meeting with a Human Resources Manager, and finally an interview with the Department Manager of whom you are applying for.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult customer issue you have had and how did you handle this?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!