Nordstrom

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

They are very aggressive at getting you in to interview. Quite polite during the process however show little respect for your current position or background. I feel like they wasted a lot of my time asking me back for multiple interviews given the follow up that was provided to me

Interview Questions
    • Looking at the description of 5 candidates pick 3 you would hire and why?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Was screen interviewed over the phone by HR and was asked my availability and a couple behavioral questions. Then I received a call to do an interview in store. I was interviewed by the Department manager, and two assistants. Questions were based off of previous work experience. Typically retail knowledge and mostly was just told about the job, what it's like working on commission and asked a couple customer service questions. Know in detail what you did at your previous jobs. Always focus on customer service! Customer is key at Nordstrom.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions if you are a people person and have worked retail.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I filled out an application and a few days later I was called and asked to come in for an interview. I arrived a few minutes early and waited for about 10 minutes and was approached by the women who was interviewing me that day. I followed her into a small office where we took a seat at a small table. She started by asking me about my pervious work experience. Then after a few more questions about myself she told me she was going to ask me a series of questions and I was only allowed to answer yes or no. She asked me some questions and then asked me "Have you ever experienced flow while in a group of coworkers?" I asked her to clarify what she meant by flow. She told me she was not allowed to explain any of the questions and I was only allowed to answer yes or no. I told her I did not understand what she meant by flow so my answer would have to be no. After that I felt like she became a little unpleasant and I did not end up getting hired. I am a Norstrom customer and I've always had a good shopping experience with them. However, I hope their interview process has changed and improved and focuses less on unimportant mind games and more on what the potential employee can bring to the company.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever experienced flow while in a group of coworkers?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

There were two interviews. Since I was away at school I was able to do the interviews over the phone. They asked me a series of questions about myself and my experience. They questioned me on what I was able to bring to Nordstrom with my experience and skills.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you were a leader and you failed. How did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

After taking a personality test and submitting my application, I was called by the HR Director to set up a phone interview. During that 15ish minute interview, she asked me why I wanted to work at Nordstrom, what department I wanted to work in, why I felt I would be a good candidate for that department position and a few other questions regarding my previous experience. After that, I was called in for an onsite interview where I met with the Cosmetics Department Manager. She asked questions similar to the above then requested that I did her makeup, and while doing her make-up sell her the products, the goal being that she would purchase something at the end. We did not break character during the make-up application. The onsite interview lasted about 45 minutes total. I was called two days later and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Would you consider yourself competitive?   View Answer
    I was told the hourly and commission rate at the offer stage. I chose not to negotiate because the rate was within my range.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Applications are submitted via their online job portal. You then receive a phone call and will be asked basic questions about scheduling and some behavioral questions. If you move on to the next round, you will meet with the manager or assistant manager of the department for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you faced a difficulty ethical decision.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

It's taken some time to see results. I applied on line, met w/the head of the cosmetics dept. and told I need to pass a phone review from talent plus.which has now, as of 3 days After meeting w Dept Head and told I was a "perfect fit", the phone call has Not taken place.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Emailed me to schedule an interview. Arrived, had a quick 10 minute interview. Then was led to the department and asked to "sell" an outfit to the hiring manager.
    Was immediately job offered once completing the interview.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I recieved an email to schedule a phone interview the same day that I applied online. I scheduled a phone interview and brainstormed questions, answers, research, etc about the position. The phone interview was less than five minutes. The only questions asked concerned my availability and what department I would like to work in, and then we scheduled an interview in the store for 2 days later. The interview was very simple and brief. I then was asked to pick out different outfits for different scenarios from the department. I interviewed with the department manager- she was very friendly and laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Nordstrom?   Answer Question
    • When is a time you went above and beyond for your manager?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you had trouble making your sales goals, and how would you educate yourself on your department?   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

one on one with a department manager of your choice who was hiring. A group of approx 12 of us were in one room with the managers. When directed, we went to the manager of the department we were interested in and spoke them for about 10 minutes and then switched.