New York Life

Getting the Interview

330 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Actuarial Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview Details Applied online, scheduled phone interview in about 3-4 weeks. Normal behavior questions no surprise. Got the rejection letter before thanksgiving break.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Insurance Sales Agent
Melville, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in February 2013.

Interview Details Giving the idea of having a great opportunity at a fortune 100 company, being a sales position the reward may be very beneficial or not. Many people are hired and more people quit, Classes of new agents come every month and teach you about financial products and services. Not many people will be turned away from this position.

Interview Question – Can you handle full commission and be rejected from thousands of people day in and day out?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Lawton, OK (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

Interview Details It's a multiple-interview process to ensure candidates and NYL are a good fit for each other. Not for everybody.

Interview Question – Can't recall. Very natural conversation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Associate Interview

Associate
Harrisburg, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview Details Interview process was very simple. No Stress - very informal - interview was scheduled after-hours and convenient. Interview was a 4-step process. 1st - get to know each other 2nd learn the job 3rd learn the training program 4th learn the compensation plan. The manager who I met with was very nice and easy to discuss the job with.

Interview Question – none - the interview wasn't a typical interview.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – wrong job for now

Summer Accounting/Finance Intern Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life in January 2013.

Interview Details About 2 months

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you had to persuade a group of people to do something and how you did it.   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Agent
Edina, MN (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in August 2013.

Interview Details 4 interviews with projects (homework) to prepare for the next. Your work must be satisfactory just to advance to the next interview. This involves interviewing family, friends, neighbors, and other acquaintances to prepare. They also test your skills to identify places or businesses as sales opportunities. One of the most challenging processes I've been through but the opportunity is great if it is a good fit for you. It turned out to not be for me.

Interview Question – Do you see yourself as "Culturally Mobile"?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, you start part time with no base salary, only commission.

Actuarial Intern Interview

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details I only got to the phone interview. Interviewer was very nice and professional. For the first part you are totally in control, as they ask you to "tell me about yourself" and you should prepare good things to say. Then he asks typical interview questions, with emphasis on insurance related topics. Then you ask questions, so make sure to prepare some good questions to ask as well.

Interview Question – Something to the effect of - What natural or political occurrence could jeopardize a life insurance company's solvency?   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in September 2013.

Interview Details 1. Received Invitation for Interview
2. Interviews with hiring manager for 1 hour
3. Within the interview -- took evaluation test (green or red) Got green which means likely to succeed
4. Signed paperwork for background & given direction to file application online
4. Got access to discounted study material (Life and Health Exam)
5. After Passing the L&H Exam: Invited to attend Introduction Sales course (as a Pre-Hire)
-- successful class gives status of PTA (Part-Time Agent)

Interview Question – describe most successful sales experience   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The offer is for a [tightly held] Captive Agent. I prefer other companies styles and chose to go with someone else. It is however, a very good ramp up process.

New Windsor, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Life in November 2012.

Interview Details Recruited out of military career fair. Manager who recruited/interviewed me was extremely pleasant, and a veteran as well. It's pretty clear that retention is an issue because although they have a reputation for great support, selling life insurance is just tough, especially working on 100% commission. Interview process was a breeze. There was a personality test via computer and an in-person interview that were not intimidating in the slightest. Pleasant, low-pressure experience. They want to know if you're sales driven and if you have contacts you can bring in right away, but seems like they'll hire you even if you don't as long as you're not useless.

Interview Question – There were no especially difficult questions. They want to know that you CAN take "no" for an answer from potential clients though. Fact of life in sales.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It sounded like it would be too stressful to work on commission and like I might have to pressure friends and family to buy the products. I didn't like the sound of that, but that's just my personality. If they were offering any job besides sales, I would've taken it right away. Really pleasant office culture and lots of support for employees.

Insurance Agent

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details A recruiter called to schedule the interview. First round interview with a recruiter. Then interview with the manager/ district agent.

Interview Question – What is your competitive advantage? Why should I hire you?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life