New York Life

Updated 12 Dec, 2014

2.4

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

I was contacted by an manager's assistant after I posted my resume to a job website. She set up a meeting with a manager. He interviewed me then had me take a career assessment survey. After that I was to follow up with him the next day to go over my results. I passed, so I continued on to the compensation/training group interview. I chose at that point that the position was not for me.

Interview Questions
    • Key qualities that have been passed down from a mentor.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

First interview was meeting with the recruiter- straight forward, laid back, more of a rundown of the company and answering any questions that I may have, inviting me back to meet with a senior partner. Second interview was with a partner- still relatively simple, didn't ask any technical questions, gave his rundown on the company, asked me a few questions, answered any questions I had. Third interview was fully a rundown of the company, presentations on pay structure, benefits, etc. more of them selling the company to you. Fourth and final interview was back again with the partner to finalize the entire process and to assure the two of you would work well together.

Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

I applied for a position online and received a phone call about a week later from a recruiter with questions on my resume (what are your current duties, how would you describe your personality, etc.). The day of the interview I met with two separate managers who asked the same questions as above. This was more of a chit chat interview to get a feel for your personality and describe the job duties. Each interview was scheduled for 30 minutes, but we went over about 5-7 minutes each. I was informed that the next step would a second round of face to face interviews with upper management, but I actually received a verbal offer one week later. They asked me to start three weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • What are you most dissatisfied with at your current job?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

Was first reached out to by email by managing partners assistant. Went in for a total of 6 interviews. None of the interviews were particularly difficult or probing, just making sure that my personality would be fitting for a sales like position. Dance around the fact that it is a fully commission based sales job, instead stressing that it is a "performance based pay financial representative position." Final interview is all about the pay structure, no questions related to finance whatsoever.

Interview Questions

Commission only, not a good first job for someone right out of college

Sales Agent Interview

I received a phone call and was told there would be 4 interview rounds and they will help me finish step by step. The second round is a face-to-face interview. This job is good for people who have good communication and sales skill and commission-based

I am interested in another job

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life.

Selling pitch--endless growth possibility, selling insurance, commission based (solely), family & friends are your network. Call from recruiter, then one on one interview. Research company functions, products, services. Prepare to sell the products to family and friends

Interview Questions
    • How will you expand your network to reach new customer base?   View Answer

Commissioned based salary

Recruiter Interview

It was a very simple process. I applied through an online posting and within the next half an hour I received a phone call to meet in person. The next day I had a brief meeting time that I wouldn’t quite say was an interview. It was more of why I applied for the position and if I would be willing to do certain tasks. Overall, it was a sales position, so I wasn’t as interested. It seems like a great company to work for though.

Intern Interview

Fairly simple. Met and discussed with a licensed agent as well as a partner of the company. In total there were three interviews. All of the interviews/meetings lasted no longer then thirty minutes. Interviews were in a relaxed environment. I was nervous going into it but felt comfortable once things got started.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were relatively general. How to deal with rejection, what are your world concerns, your greatest skill to attribute to the company. They threw a curve ball by asking what my favorite animal was and why.   View Answer
    Fairly strung out. Not completely clear as to what compensation would be.

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in June 2014.

Interviewed many times (4 to be specific). The 1st is with the recruiter. The 2nd is likely that with a Partner. The 3rd is likely the Executive Partner or Group. The 4th is back with the Partner. There are tasks to be completed after the 2nd interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are your motivations? Please list 3 in the order of importance... Please explain each.   Answer Question
    There isn't much room for negotiation, because it is a sales position. It is a matter of how much do you believe you can sale without a safety net. I would definitely reconsider if this is your first job. Actually, I would doubt they would offer you the job if it is your first.

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in June 2014.

I was referred by a friend in the company whose partner was hiring. 5 step process. Felt very good about the process, however I felt they put too much emphasis on the potential for income and not enough emphasis on what the job actually entailed.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard personality questions nothing very technical.   View Answer
    no room for negotiation and no compensation until you prove yourself a valuable employee