New York Life Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct, 2014
Updated 16 Oct, 2014

2.4

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Three interviews first one you have to submit your information in order for them to perform a background check. 2nd interview they talk about compensation. third interview they offer you a job. If you show up to all three of the interviews and can pass a background check they will offer you a job.

100% commission don't let them let you think otherwise.

Financial Representative Interview

I went in expecting it to be an hour or hour and a half initial interview... 2 1/2 hours later - I walked out and gained nothing. Definitely don't want to work for a company that doesn't respect my time!

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at New York Life.

They have a 4 interview process, that I found to be very repetitive. I suppose to make sure that you were consistent in your answers to the questions. Each time we met we also covered a part of their business plan or how they would identify a client.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were straight forward. What your biggest strength? Whats your biggest weakness? ETC   Answer Question

They say they don't cold call, instead they wanted me to badger my friends and family. I wasn't comfortable trying to persuade friends and family to buy policies.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Easy and asked questions I expected them to ask. They want to make sure you are making the right decision when joining NYL and they really want you to know what to expect going into insurance sales and advising since it's a hard industry to stay afloat in.

Commission based.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in September 2014.

A staffing agency contacted me and I was scheduled to have an interview with New York Life in Waltham, MA location. The location is huge and fancy. This is a temporary position and I was interviewed by the manager, first she asked if I know anything about this position and what did the staffing agency told me about this position. The interview questions are straightforward, no surprise questions at all. At the end, she asked if I am interested to come back for 2nd interview with her team leader. They called me about 2 hours later, after the 1st interview and schedule for 2nd interview the next day. The 2nd interview is pretty much he same as the 1st interview, same questions and they will give you a hit how are chance that they will hire you.

Interview Questions

I received a better offer from another company

Actuarial Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in September 2014.

Was contacted via email asking for an updated version of my resume in early September. About a week later, I received a request for a phone interview. The questions were geared towards general questions about academic and professional experience, and towards gauging demonstrated interest in pursuing a career as an actuary.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to convince a group of people to do things a certain way.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Apply online. Resume requested. Junior/Senior undergrad status. GPA varies. Major varies. Three phone interviews followed by internship offer. Internship total = 12 weeks. Compensated. Location varies. Overall, pleasant experience.

Developer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at New York Life.

Phone interview followed by a personal interview. The initial interview is technical but consists of questions you can find on Google (hint. hint.) The second interview you meet with everyone and see if you can get along. For full time employees they care more about personality that tech skills so laugh a lot. For contractors they are very picky technically. If your resume is over 2 pages they may just toss it out. Just include some popular buzz works and check Google.

Interview Questions
    • Google interview prep question and you will find the questions they are using. Standard canned questions. Of course this is not related to what you will be doing so keep that in mind.   Answer Question
    They will lie about what you will be doing to get you in the door.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Life.

Very simple, the company is looking to sell you on the position and the benefits that can come with success. They really are looking to make sure you can hold conversation, and can represent the company in a positive way. There are four interviews but after the first, they focus more on what the company offers, more than your actual skills

Actuarial Assistant/Actuarial Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life.

I was surprised by the unprofessional manner this phone interview was handled. The interviewer is not from HR which is fine, but she did not indicate that she was actually a participant of the program at the beginning of the interview. I discovered that at the end of the interview when she referred to the program in 3rd person.

I was bombarded by a series of behavioral questions and only had 5 mins to ask questions.

I got a response two weeks later that I did not get an offer. I kindly asked for feedback regarding the interview but "Unfortunately, it is our policy to not provide feedback to candidates about their interview." Well goodbye NYL.