New York Life

Updated 2 Mar, 2015

2.4

Actuarial Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

I applied online and got an email for a phone interview about two weeks later. Simple behavioral questions and nothing too unexpected. I got emailed back again to say that i made it to the next round of interviews

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

Phone interview with recruiter first then if you do well in that, you meet with your perspective manager and the VP of the department. They ask normal interview questions and want to make sure that you are capable of multiple tasking. Let them know you're a fast learner and that you relish being under pressure

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years, why us, etc.   View Answer
    No negotiation, salary is pretty low and in order to get paid for OT you have to get approved by your manager first

Marketing Interview

Phone Interview. Very nice recruiter. But was highly offended by the request to agree to submit a paystub from my previous employer prior to hire, should they hire me.

Typically, that kind of request is reserved for commissioned sales people and being I am not one, this sent me scouring advice from lawyers, HR recruiters and managers at other companies. No one I spoke to (all seasoned professionals) thought this sounded legal or ethical. The very nature of this request is one of distrust. You (the employer) distrust me from the beginning, and everyone knows that's starting a relationship on the wrong foot and likely to end up worse as time progresses. If we both agree on the salary range offered and New York Life sees value in me as a candidate, my previous salary is irrelevant, and further, is NOT due to you in documented format as an employer right.

Stay clear of this company based on this criteria alone. I was told by the recruiter that "many financial and insurance companies operate on this policy." I have a collective 15 years of experience at both and have never been required to oblige to such an invasive and unethical request.

Interview Questions
    • Do you agree to submit a paystub from your current employer prior to hire?   View Answers (4)

Finance Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Life.

It was a quick 15 minute phone screening with HR. I was asked "tell me about yourself", details on one experience on my resume, and how that experience would contribute to the job I was applying for. Heard back a week later that I won’t be moving on with the process.

Sales Agent Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at New York Life.

I had an hour long meeting to discuss the opportunity within the company and was given a great presentation. I was told the average annual salary and benefits that would come with the position. I was then give an assessment on a computer which took about 15 minutes to complete. I was called later the same day and offered the position. I am still weighing my options.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

He basically just asked questions trying to get to know me and to see if I would make a good sales person (We both came to the conclusion that I would not!). After I admitted that the job didn't seem right for me, he proceeded to ask me if there was anyone I knew from my small hometown that I could recommend for the job. That kind of upset me. But he was still nice about the whole thing.

Long Term Care Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Was contacted about a month after my initial application I submitted through the website. Scheduled an interview for the following day, interview lasted about an hour with just one individual- one on one interview. Followed up the day after letting the lady know how interested I am. The following Monday( 3 days later) I received a verbal offer and the following day a official offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in working for New York life?   Answer Question
    • What's a time you dealt with a disgruntled customer and how you dealt with them?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview was lengthily, expect four to six. Process is very easy going and relaxed and you will meet several managers. In the event you do get hired, you will not get paid until you hit a certain number to become an active employee.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions were not difficult. The main focus is to see your social skills, because it is a sales job and also to see how large your natural market would be.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase, paid solely on commissions.

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life.

Some process to get information about me then front to front interview to get the most confident of me. Details really important about the eventual position to be covered from my eventual position

Interview Questions
    I need to get the license

Entry Level Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life in February 2015.

Extremely nice office with what seemed to be genuine people but by the end of the interview they only wanted to push life insurance on my family and friends. Unfortunately at the end of the interview the gentleman asked me if I have any friends that I graduated with that would like to come work there as well. Overall, quite the disappointment.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have a financial advisor? Does your family have life insurance? Do you mind residual income?   Answer Question