New York Life Interview Questions

Updated 20 Apr, 2015

2.4

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Latham, NY (US)).

Interview

Personable. The process was more about examining my character and priorities than skill set or education/experience. Informative- was introduced to a happy close-knit group currently employed and then a casual conversation about family, savings/spending practices, goals and expectations. I had huge concerns about the commission click down, and rightfully so, as I learned quickly to keep up the pace and follow the track set forth.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about salespeople? What has been your financial experience thus far in life -good, bad the ugly? How will you balance a start up business and family time?   1 Answer

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Stratford, CT (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a career fair and immediately set up the first interview. The interview was very laid back -- I answered a few questions then the recruiter mostly talked about the company and what they have to offer. After talking for a little, I took a 15 minute assessment, then was done. I was called back about a week later to come back for a second interview.

Interview Questions

• 5 words to describe yourself, 3 words to describe a successful salesman/woman   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wall, NJ (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Wall, NJ (US)).

Interview

Three interview process, 1st interview to get to know each other and the company. 2nd interview give an overview of the position and how to be successful. Given homework to call fifteen people you know and ask them to answer a questionnaire to get a feel and understand if you are able to complete the job requirements.

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life (Austin, TX (US)).

Interview

I met a recruiter at a job fair and came in and met with the recruiter two days later. Good interview where recruiter extolled all the great virtues of the company. It's a great company, no denying that. Makes it sound very easy to succeed in the business. Came back a few days later for 2nd interview with managing director of office for ~30 mins then sat in a pre-training session with 2 others. Managing director gave me prospect forms to call people I know with a survey to get a feel for what the position would be like.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Sunrise, FL (US)).

Interview

It was very easy, consisted of a few brief interviews on multiple different days. They had easy questions, about life future and what you want from the company, why your an asset ect. Its a revolving door, they will pretty much hire anyone

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Charleston, SC (US)).

Interview

A friend who works at the company recommended me to join. I contacted a hiring manager by email referencing the recommendation. Promptly we started exchanging emails and talked on the phone. I agreed to drive a couple of hours to meet him at his HQ office in Charleston. Turned out to be a VERY swanky prestige suite in historic downtown.

When the manager came to welcome me he invited me to his office. He had a MASSIVE modern desk which he sat behind in a big chair, and I was waved to the chair in front. There was a vertical panel in the desk which blocked me from sitting comfortably. The place seemed calculated to impress and intimidate.

We had a good interview, focusing mostly on personal character and aspirations, and somewhat on industry knowledge. It was a very challenging interview which I enjoyed. He had a really good computer based presentation about NY Life careers. (I asked him for a copy which he was unable to provide.)

The national company has special hiring initiatives for various demographic niches. Interesting to me, they have one for LGBT agents and markets, and the literature was in the foyer so I felt comfortable talking to him about that aspect of how I could reach out for prospects. They are big on career planning and envisioning futures with the company.

NY Life requires a very very thorough scrutiny of the candidates, which is confidence-inspiring about the successful personnel, if you the candidate are not overwhelmed by it. I was required to submit EXTREMELY detailed information and answer multiple questionnaires that are all intended to expose everything "good, bad, or ugly." Some was done by email, some in person, some with a secure special online portal.

The company has a whole separate department that reviews all these materials and must approve you. I already had an insurance producer license and had worked in the field so I had done the credentialing and exam process already. NY Life has higher standards than most because I got a new level of examination.

I highly recommend to be prepared by pulling your credit reports because the data summarized on them is extremely handy to answer the questions with precision. Also, if there is any kind of false negative information in your reports that you have not already fixed before, it is going to be a problem. Also, any TRUE negative information is going to require information, explanation, possible documentation. I was required to produce an actual copy of a court document for a bankruptcy discharge (8 years ago and no problems since then). [Just as a side note, I was able to retrieve it electronically in no time using PACE (Public Access to Court Electronic Records). I believe you have to have an EIN tax number to use PACE.]

NY Life gave me a whole fresh new round of scouring for dirt. When I was eventually approved they literally said I was "clean."

Interview Questions

• I think he asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Lots of interest in personal goals.   Answer Question

To answer this Glassdoor questionnaire I'm asked if I got an offer. Well, at a later point, I declined to pursue the opportunity further down the path, and the hiring manager still wanted to recruit me. We were still pre-offer. I was left with a great impression of this company. Just not a perfect fit for me at this time. The most important factor is that the market I prefer to work with has a lower income level than the optimal NY Life customer.

CVP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life (Tampa, FL (US)).

Interview

Had multiple interviews which were all positive but this is the "Good Old Boys Club". Don't bother applying if you are a very well educated female. Experience does not matter.Sales experience is important to them even if the role does is not around the sales process. HR will lead you on for a long time. Feel they use females to state they interviewed several candidates for each position.

Interview Questions

• Even though the position was not sales function, they asked about sales experience.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Interview

Phone Interview. Very nice recruiter. But was highly offended by the request to agree to submit a paystub from my previous employer prior to hire, should they hire me.

Typically, that kind of request is reserved for commissioned sales people and being I am not one, this sent me scouring advice from lawyers, HR recruiters and managers at other companies. No one I spoke to (all seasoned professionals) thought this sounded legal or ethical. The very nature of this request is one of distrust. You (the employer) distrust me from the beginning, and everyone knows that's starting a relationship on the wrong foot and likely to end up worse as time progresses. If we both agree on the salary range offered and New York Life sees value in me as a candidate, my previous salary is irrelevant, and further, is NOT due to you in documented format as an employer right.

Stay clear of this company based on this criteria alone. I was told by the recruiter that "many financial and insurance companies operate on this policy." I have a collective 15 years of experience at both and have never been required to oblige to such an invasive and unethical request.

Interview Questions

• Do you agree to submit a paystub from your current employer prior to hire?   7 Answers

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Very Long, takes about 2-3 months to get hired, especially if you do not have your license to start. Then you get put in class at their location for a week to learn. then you must sell a certain amount of life insurance applications to get paid from there.

Interview Questions

• They want to know can you hustle and get sales on your own   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

met with interviewer and asked me basic questions off a print out sheet. took about an hour, asked me very basic questions such as where do you see yourself in five years and what makes you stand out