New York Life Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct, 2014
Updated 16 Oct, 2014

2.4

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

The recruiters are very friendly and will seem genuinely interested in hiring you. After completing an application online I received a phone call and email to set up an interview. The 1st interview you take an assessment. write down some sales reference, they talk about their personal experiences with the company and their success, and will probably talk about what market they think you would be good to target as a salesmen. The company has great recognition and products but the job itself is VERY tough work. First off it's 100% commission and you have to find ALL of your own leads. This means they will try to pressure you to bother all of your family, friends, and past companies you have worked for. You have to have some money saved to get through a couple months of building your client base, but you won't get paid unless your selling life insurance to completely random people you stumbled upon. Also you have to spend money which they say will be reimbursed to get certified to sell their insurance. They invited me for a 2nd interview, before the day of my 2nd interview arrived I accepted another offer for a company that actually offers salary, and told them I wasn't interested.They are very friendly and will definitely try to lure in the naive and young to do their back breaking work for them. They may try to spin it as "well people that don't make it, don't work hard enough". Not true those people realize that this job is being a glorified door salesmen, no different than the ones in cheap suits selling magazines to unsuspecting people. I will say this, life insurance itself is a very valuable thing, and isn't going anywhere, but the methods that they use to sell it are completely ridiculous. Also if your not in a big affluent city, you may have a tough time selling investments to locals who can barely meet their monthly rent. There is no risk for them, you have to invest in them before they invest in you. If you don't work out well hey they haven't spent a penny on you.

Interview Questions
    • None, most of them are sales related but they are just desperate for warm bodies.   Answer Question

100% comission

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Life.

In the second round of interviews, not behavioral based. Be ready to answer compensation questions. Everyone at the office was nice and professional. The partner that interviewed me was a great conversationalist and was not afraid to ask the tough questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to make the money that this job can provide?   Answer Question

Life Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

I received an email from a recruiter who set up an interview at their main office. There is a series of 3 interviews. I attended the first which was geared more towards the manager/interviewer getting to know me. The next two interviews are geared toward the job expectations and the salary. I will see if the job is something I want to do after I attend the second interview. Overall the manger was very nice and easy to converse with.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of money would like to make and where would you like your salary to be in 3 years?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life.

I got an email with the possibility of an interview. It was a phone interview. Questions about 1. tell me about a time when your leadership style failed? 2. tell me one the excel projects you did

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Initially was contacted by phone for an interview which was very routine and professional. Then went to the office located near Grand Central for another interview. Was offered to come back for another interview so I could receive information about compensation.

Interview Questions
    • Who was the demographic I could reach at that particular time?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life.

Applied online, received a call from a manager about 2 days later, went in for an interview the next day. Very professional, yet relaxed interview that asked the standard questions. Took about an hour and a half, and had to fill out a personality test at the end. Very good experience, however I wasn't interested in the company and did not go in for a second interview.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in October 2014.

Great interviewers and very detailed. I have taken a lot of information at each interview. each interview was a week apart and I found it very helpful as you can think about it and do some reaserch.

Interview Questions
    • did not have any compromising question, they were all very resonable   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in October 2014.

I went in for 2 interviews, one with the managing partner and another with the office manager then after the last interview, they send you an assessment. I did very well on the interviews but when I was called back about my assessment (which is a personality test) they told me I do not qualify.

The entire process took about 1 month (1 week for my resume to be seen, 2nd week 1st interview and a small writing and math assignment, 3rd week 2nd interview and assessment, and 4th week rejection phone called)

Actuarial Interview

They had my resume on file from the previous year and emailed me to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 20 minutes; asked me basic questions on my resume, what I knew about the company, and a bunch of behavioral questions, and there was time for me to ask questions at the end. I was notified of my rejection via email a week later.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Had an employee give my resume to a Sr. Partner who called me later in the week. We spoke briefly on the phone and he then brought me in for a 1:1 interview. He gave me some things to study/think about and then brought me back in for 2 more interviews. After getting licensed and completing a night training course for 4 weeks, I was offered a contract.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary, they just want to make sure you'll be a good fit for the job   Answer Question