New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions

Updated 27 Oct, 2014

2.3

47 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Went through 4 interviews. First a phone interview, then 3 in person interviews. First they get to know you. Then they educate you about themselves. then they talk about the position in detail.

Interview Questions
  • Not many difficult or unexpected questions. They just learn about your background and determine weather or not you will be a good fit for the company.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Life.

In the second round of interviews, not behavioral based. Be ready to answer compensation questions. Everyone at the office was nice and professional. The partner that interviewed me was a great conversationalist and was not afraid to ask the tough questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to make the money that this job can provide?   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in October 2014.

Great interviewers and very detailed. I have taken a lot of information at each interview. each interview was a week apart and I found it very helpful as you can think about it and do some reaserch.

Interview Questions
    • did not have any compromising question, they were all very resonable   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at New York Life.

They have a 4 interview process, that I found to be very repetitive. I suppose to make sure that you were consistent in your answers to the questions. Each time we met we also covered a part of their business plan or how they would identify a client.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were straight forward. What your biggest strength? Whats your biggest weakness? ETC   Answer Question

They say they don't cold call, instead they wanted me to badger my friends and family. I wasn't comfortable trying to persuade friends and family to buy policies.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Life.

Very simple, the company is looking to sell you on the position and the benefits that can come with success. They really are looking to make sure you can hold conversation, and can represent the company in a positive way. There are four interviews but after the first, they focus more on what the company offers, more than your actual skills

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at New York Life.

They found my resume on the wed, contacted by phone, set up an interview. Basically they were not interviewing me, but advertising this position, trying to convince me to work for them. Since it was 100% commission based position, i decided not to proceed.

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at New York Life.

I met with a NY Life company representative at a career fair, where the representative asked me to complete a personality quiz/skills assessment on a laptop computer he had at the fair. So after siting in the corner and completing the assessment on the laptop, the results were emailed to the rep and I passed. The assessment was mostly geared toward evaluating your level of persistence/sales aggressiveness and what your pre-conceived ideas were concerning insurance agents in general. After chatting and going over my resume with the representative at the career fair, we set a time to meet for a formal interview.

The formal interview took 3 hours. I was not told this would be the case so I had to miss an appointment I'd scheduled for later that day. 90% of the interview was the same NY Life representative talking at me about their company and then "using me as an example" to go through their sales pitch. This amounted to asking personal questions about my marital status ("What members of your family would you need to help out by leaving life insurance money? ...I assume you don't have a spouse or a long-term partner?"), my age ("So at what age do you plan to retire? ...And how many years do you have until then?"), and my current financial situation (how much money I had in my checking, savings, and any assets/liabilities I had). These questions were incredibly invasive and I can honestly say I was so taken aback by the questions that I ended up answering most of them out of shock. I even told him that I'd never had an interview where an employer asked me about my bank account and he just shrugged it of: "Well we're just having fun here, and you are interviewing with a financial agency after all..."

I really can't recommend NY Life. In the end, they seem to care less about the agents they're hiring and more about the company's reputation. I was even told that "When you're starting out, if you clearly don't have much experience, you can't win people over because of who you are or your dedication to the job, you win them over because of the company you work for."

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't expecting to be asked about my financial status and then told what my net worth was according to the interviewing agent.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Just a bunch of questions

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

great process and very thorough

long process but worth it, 4 interviews

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Not your typical interview process. They highlight their strengths and advantages on working for them rather then giving you tough interview questions. The process requires a couple meetings in order for you to gauge the company and to see whether it is a good fit or not. Near the end, New York Life does evaluate your skills and expertise a bit more through a couple classes/tasks required in order to be full-time.

Interview Questions
    • No real tough questions asked other than general background information and what I have learned in the past in sales.   Answer Question