New York Life Financial Services Professional Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2014

2.5

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

I applied to this position through my school's hiring program. I was scheduled for an interview a few days later. The interview was a little under an hour long. Interviewer was very friendly and helpful. They mostly just wanted to get to know me both personally and professionally. He explained the three step interview process to me and a little about the services they offer and the compensation and the company structure. I filled out an online survey after, and was given materials to read/ fill out in order to move to the next stage of interviewing.

Interview Questions
  • They interview was just about getting to know me. One question was asking what is the first thing I do when I walk into a party. The whole interview was just questions about me, nothing technical.   Answer Question

I basically got offered to move to the next stage of interviewing, but I declined because the job is 100% commission and I am not wiling to take the risk, especially selling life insurance.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life.

There was an initial interview that last about 20 minutes if they like you and it's just to get an initial feel for you. Then, they have a much more detailed interview where they try to scare you about the harsh realities of a completely commission based salary. Next, they tell you exactly what to expect out of the internship and what tests you need to pass to obtain certifications. The one thing I didn't like was that they don't provide anyways to help you sell. They pretty much tell you to figure out your own unique way and hopes some of the older guys will help you out a bit.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through other source - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

The initial contact was via email. Subsequent communication was always prompt and courteous. The company seemed very "warm," that is people friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever want to start your own business and why or why not?   View Answer

Although the position was intriguing, don't think it is the right fit for me.

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in October 2013.

They posted a position on a job site. Got called the same day and was in for a screening interview with an HR screener. Was invited back with the partner and then asked to attend a compensation presentation outlining their the pay structure. This meeting was also a sales pitch for the company: history, stability, ratings, etc. But it also was designed to show in detail the seeming ease of making over 6 figures in a year with the company. Was invited again to be given an offer.

Company was very buttoned-up in suits and business attire as would be expected in a financial company. Managers/partners were in their own offices. Things seemed a bit hushed. Not much laughing or even much talking.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about something you failed at and how did you respond? (Standard job interview question.)   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

I was contacted 2-3 days after I sent in my application and scheduled an interview two days later. It was a somewhat formal initial interview getting to know me and my goals/motivation on my career. Most of the questions were about my personality, goals, achievements, and ambitions. They also presented a lot of information about the background of the company which you SHOULD research.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you want to be in 5 years? Where do you want to be in 10 years?
      It's a simple question but they were trying to see what my ambitions and intents were.
        View Answer

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Applied through college job board, was contacted through email and then they invited me in for an in person interview. I then completed a personality assessment along with some basic arithmetic/logic questions in their office. The interview was only with one guy, and it was pretty informal. I feel like they are looking for people that have social skills and can communicate/sell their product. They don't really care about your past experience, since you're basically responsible for your entire income and they don't have to put much equity into you. Their current employees come from all walks of life, and it seems to be a younger bunch than some of the other companies I interviewed at. However, they are nicer than other similar companies because they will give you a stipend while you are studying for the series 6, whereas most insurance/financial sales companies do not. I don't know why they want their employees to take the 6 and not the 7, since the 7 covers more territory. I was offered the job on the spot. Office attire is on the formal side, so make sure if you're wearing a suit and tie, polished shoes etc.The entire process was spread over several weeks because I was still in school and had difficult scheduling.

Interview Questions

I didn't want my first job out of college to be commission based. I wanted something more financially secure even if it is potentially less lucrative in the short term

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Very professional staff and office. I was contacted within a week of responding to a post and had an interview within 1-2 weeks. The process was very thorough and informative.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Was called back for interview two or three days after submitted my resume on my university's career center website. Office was very clean, and filled with very young-looking employees. Most were very friendly-- smiling and nodding to me as I waited near the front desk. Interviewer really only asked me one question-- "tell me about yourself. Take as much time as you think necessary." After this, he told me about the position, and asked if I had any questions. I asked several questions, and afterwards was shown to a computer where I completed a personality profile.

Interview Questions
    • Only asked me to tell him about myself, and then asked me if I had any questions.   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dayton, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at New York Life in April 2012.

Hiring took forever as they kept saying that the approval process takes a while. I have worked in the financial field with other companies and they did not have a problem with getting me in and going right away. Partners are disingenuous with you to try to make It seem like you are fine

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Southfield, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at New York Life in August 2012.

The Managing Partner I was interviewed by was phenomenal. One month after he hired me, he was transferred to a position down south.

Questions were straight-forward and he totally explained the commission package through a series of two interviews. The first interview was about the position and he just spoke to me to see if I fit into the corporate culture.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you feel you are a good fit in New York Life?   View Answer

I choose another company which was interviewing my at the same time. The other company dealt more with investments which I was more interested in providing.

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!