New York Life

Updated 25 Nov, 2014

2.5

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in November 2014.

I applied online and was contacted the same day to set up an interview for the following week. The interview was pretty straight forward one-on-one. I walked him through my résumé and spoke about my goals, answering a few behavioral questions. The interviewer then spoke briefly about the position but mainly about the career track and company culture. Very helpful and very easy to talk to. Our discussion lasted about an hour and I then took a personality test. After the test, the interviewer let me know about the process that would follow. I received word that same day about a follow up interview with one of the managing partners for a week later.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing too difficult, be ready to answer anything about your résumé as well as personal experiences applicable to the position.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Had an employee give my resume to a Sr. Partner who called me later in the week. We spoke briefly on the phone and he then brought me in for a 1:1 interview. He gave me some things to study/think about and then brought me back in for 2 more interviews. After getting licensed and completing a night training course for 4 weeks, I was offered a contract.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary, they just want to make sure you'll be a good fit for the job   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

There was an initial interview that last about 20 minutes if they like you and it's just to get an initial feel for you. Then, they have a much more detailed interview where they try to scare you about the harsh realities of a completely commission based salary. Next, they tell you exactly what to expect out of the internship and what tests you need to pass to obtain certifications. The one thing I didn't like was that they don't provide anyways to help you sell. They pretty much tell you to figure out your own unique way and hopes some of the older guys will help you out a bit.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

I applied to this position through my school's hiring program. I was scheduled for an interview a few days later. The interview was a little under an hour long. Interviewer was very friendly and helpful. They mostly just wanted to get to know me both personally and professionally. He explained the three step interview process to me and a little about the services they offer and the compensation and the company structure. I filled out an online survey after, and was given materials to read/ fill out in order to move to the next stage of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • They interview was just about getting to know me. One question was asking what is the first thing I do when I walk into a party. The whole interview was just questions about me, nothing technical.   Answer Question

I basically got offered to move to the next stage of interviewing, but I declined because the job is 100% commission and I am not wiling to take the risk, especially selling life insurance.

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Applied through college job board, was contacted through email and then they invited me in for an in person interview. I then completed a personality assessment along with some basic arithmetic/logic questions in their office. The interview was only with one guy, and it was pretty informal. I feel like they are looking for people that have social skills and can communicate/sell their product. They don't really care about your past experience, since you're basically responsible for your entire income and they don't have to put much equity into you. Their current employees come from all walks of life, and it seems to be a younger bunch than some of the other companies I interviewed at. However, they are nicer than other similar companies because they will give you a stipend while you are studying for the series 6, whereas most insurance/financial sales companies do not. I don't know why they want their employees to take the 6 and not the 7, since the 7 covers more territory. I was offered the job on the spot. Office attire is on the formal side, so make sure if you're wearing a suit and tie, polished shoes etc.The entire process was spread over several weeks because I was still in school and had difficult scheduling.

Interview Questions

I didn't want my first job out of college to be commission based. I wanted something more financially secure even if it is potentially less lucrative in the short term

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Very professional staff and office. I was contacted within a week of responding to a post and had an interview within 1-2 weeks. The process was very thorough and informative.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through other source – interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

The initial contact was via email. Subsequent communication was always prompt and courteous. The company seemed very "warm," that is people friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever want to start your own business and why or why not?   View Answer

Although the position was intriguing, don't think it is the right fit for me.

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

I was contacted 2-3 days after I sent in my application and scheduled an interview two days later. It was a somewhat formal initial interview getting to know me and my goals/motivation on my career. Most of the questions were about my personality, goals, achievements, and ambitions. They also presented a lot of information about the background of the company which you SHOULD research.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you want to be in 5 years? Where do you want to be in 10 years?
      It's a simple question but they were trying to see what my ambitions and intents were.
        View Answer

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life.

Was called back for interview two or three days after submitted my resume on my university's career center website. Office was very clean, and filled with very young-looking employees. Most were very friendly-- smiling and nodding to me as I waited near the front desk. Interviewer really only asked me one question-- "tell me about yourself. Take as much time as you think necessary." After this, he told me about the position, and asked if I had any questions. I asked several questions, and afterwards was shown to a computer where I completed a personality profile.

Interview Questions
    • Only asked me to tell him about myself, and then asked me if I had any questions.   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Spoke to recruiter on phone for pre interview. Proceeded with 3 in person interviews after passing tests. Went through a lengthy background check. The whole process took about a month before I was offered a contract. They check everything from credit to criminal to employment history. They interviews lasted about an hour and included a company information presentation.