New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions & Reviews

37 interviews

2.2

37 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

Was referred to the company by a friend then was called by a NYL rep. Spoke to him on the phone for about 20 minutes then he asked me to come in for a meeting. We then had a 1-1 meeting. Went over bits of training and financial incentives. Seemed pretty clear cut. Incentives were great and straightforward.

Not right fit.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

First interview went well. Second interview was disappointing since hiring manager never showed up. He left me waiting for over an hour. They don't validate parking. The hiring manager called me 15 minutes after 3pm to see where I was and stated that we had an interview at 2pm. I laughed it off since I am looking for training and support. If the manager is too busy to meet with me on time, then how will the support be? I waited in the lobby for an hour before I left. Maybe that's some kind of a test to determine how much of a push over you are.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Waltham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA (US)

interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Quick response, easy to schedule, long interview process on the day of including tour of the site, training rooms, offices, meeting facilities etc. It seems the interviewer does more to sell you on the job than you have to sell your own skill set at times.

Interview Questions
    • compare and contrast this company with Metlife, AIG and others in the same field   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter after meeting a rep from New York Life at a jobs fair. I came in for an interview, but stopped the process after the first session, which was over an hour long. Questions tended to be softball questions (what are you strengths, where do you want to be in five years etc).

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Applied through college career center, got a call back within 1 week to set up an interview. I find out on arrival that it is a group interview and am kept waiting 45 mins. Guy struts in with slicked back hair and shirt half unbottoned. Real boiler room type guy. He was rude and short with everyone. Dismissed me not long after, thank god.

Interview Questions
    • If you read the top section about the hiring and interview process then this will make sense: why do you want to work here was the most difficult questions (and the same time the easiest questions). I didnt want to work there but was too embarrassed to say so, so I fumbled through it talking about starting a career and making money to provide for my family.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Knoxville, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Phone interview w/ HR specialist, general questions regarding contact info, employment/educational history, career goals.
    Face-to-face interview w/ HR specialist, provide company and position information, overview job responsibilities, required licenses and how to obtain them, advise on issues regarding background/credit check, in-depth questions about prior work experience and allowed to take skills assessment.
    Interview w/ Managing Partner, demonstration of compensation structure, told to generate 200 contact info (name, address, phone/email, occupation) in order to proceed w/ training after initial licensing exam, informed of 36-month training program and how it is catered to the skills I desire to obtain.
    OFFERED JOB :)

Interview Questions
    None. I understood work and compensation were entirely up to me and my performance.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2013.

Kind of a joke. They are trying to sell you harder than you are trying to sell them. Base pay is 0 and will always be 0 at this position. They will hire nearly anyone with a college degree without a criminal record. The hiring process is just to throw stuff at the wall and see who sticks. Nearly 95% year 1 industry turnover and 80% within NYL.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  West Bridgewater, MA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in West Bridgewater, MA (US)

I interviewed through other source. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in February 2013.

Your resume is reviewed electronically and you are then provided an initial meeting. The interview process is a bit involved. You meet four times and are provided with the training information if hired.

Interview Questions

I am interested in a financial advisor position, not interested in sales.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at New York Life.

I received a call from a gentleman who was wary to tell me too many details over the phone, he just wanted me to take my time to meet with them to see if I'd be "selected" to fill out an application. It was very shady since he was just trying to evade providing details but wanted me to think I was "selected" for a possible application. He mentioned some license that was required and later stated that I'd have to pay for it and I'd be "refunded". I decided to not go for the "interview" and he was a bit rude saying "Its ok, I guess you don't really get it". Well I did get it, but I am not interested in this line of work. Maybe next time instead of ending the conversation on a rude note, it would be great if your cold caller can understand that a person is not interested in that line of work to begin with.

Interview Questions
    • Apparently the difficulty was in it for the caller when I asked what the position was about and the licenses required for the position. He was hesitant to provide details, after all, he was calling me then stating that I'd have to go in for the "interview" to THEN apply for the job IF I was selected.   Answer Question

I posted my resume online but my credentials have nothing to do with their position available and also it is not a career I would enjoy for myself.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Waltham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2013.

Super long interview process. I had 4 meetings over a month before an offer was made. There weren't really any difficult questions - all pretty standard. I wasn't nervous or surprised by anything. My interviewer was a super nice guy that I really liked and would have been a strong factor if I had chosen to work there.

The compensation is all incentive based. There was a lot of earning potential but you don't have a single dollar before you make NYL money. It wasn't right for me but may be a good opportunity for someone else.

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!