NYU (New York University)
www.nyu.edu New York, NY 5000+ Employees

NYU (New York University) Interview Questions & Reviews in New York City, NY US

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Getting the Interview

36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

MFA of Game Design Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in March 2013.

Interview Details The interview took about 50 minutes and covers all aspects of game and game design. Some of the questions were trying to dig out your potential of thinking as a game designer, not a player, and some other questions are about you as a person.

Interview Question – Probably which un-digital game is your favorite and why.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing special.

Financial Aid Counselor Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NYU (New York University).

Interview Details phone interview, interview with managers, interview with directors

Interview Question – How do you handle stress?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a little more than offered and it was accepted.

Student IT Support Technician Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in October 2013.

Interview Details The Hiring process was very easy. I applied online for the job through university portal. I have sufficient knowledge for the job, so nothing was unexpected and the interview was just a formality.

Adjunct Instructor of Writing for International Students Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in July 2013.

Interview Details Just one interview, on Skype.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected -- it was more the usual questions about teaching approach and so on.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations were possible on salary -- and there are no benefits.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in June 2010.

Interview Details Applied for unsolicited position by emailing PI. I was contacted immediately and told that a position might be available in 2-3 months after a grant was reviewed. When the grant was awarded I was contacted to set up a skype interview followed by an in person interview. It was a typical postdoc interview process: Meet with PI for about an hour. Gave a 1 hour talk about my research. Met the lab members for 15-20 minutes each. Went to lunch with a few other postdocs. Had meetings with a couple other faculty members. Went out to dinner with the whole lab. The next day a joined again for their lab meeting.

Interview Question – It was a very casual interview and I never got any unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Student Employee At NYU Bookstore Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and interviewed at NYU (New York University).

Interview Details You may submit a simple job application online or in person. A few weeks later, the Bookstore will likely contact you for a short in person interview. The interview covers basic information such as your previous work experience, internships you may have had, and why you want to work at the Bookstore out of all of the other NYU departments you could pick from. Bring a current resume. The interview is short and to the point.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in April 2011.

Interview Details send your resume to professor's official email ID, have recommendation from somebody they know, if selected, appointment is scheduled, they ask you about your academic grades and experience, any previous job/projects and knowledge about their lab research. They screen for students who might stay longer as they don't have to train again and again.

Interview Question – why you didn't score A's on all classes?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Registration Manager Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in August 2009.

Interview Details I was a temporary/seasonal employee of the department from 1988-1990 so my work spoke for itself during my interview process. Usually the job requires an experience working for a University setting with detail to record keeping, familiarity with the Bursar's office that handle all payments. Experience with supervising others.

Interview Question – The job entailed a lot of overtime work during registration periods that could put a serious strain on family/personal life and this schedule was mandatory and expected to either agree/disagree in the interview process.   Answer Question

Admissions Assistant Interview

Admissions Assistant
New York, NY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in August 2013.

Interview Details They conducted a phone interview first. Make sure you have your resume next to you. They grill you from top to bottom so make sure you have explanations.

Interview Question – The women who called was very nasty and mean. She made the interview very uncomfortable. She actually made me feel that every answer i gave her was not good enough.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NYU (New York University) in June 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and roughly a month later I was contacted via email to schedule a phone interview. When the day of the phone interview came, I sat by my phone and waited for the recruiter to call. She never called. After that I reached out to the recruiter by both email and telephone to see what happened, and ended up rescheduling the interview.

Now, one would think a recruiter who missed the first interview would not miss the rescheduled interview, right? Wrong. This recruiter totally did not call me on the scheduled day, but instead called me two days later. Since I really needed the job I ended up doing the phone interview at the unscheduled time (which I should add was difficult because it was during a time I really couldn’t talk on the phone for an interview). The phone interview questions were pretty basic. They were things like: “Why do you want to work for NYU?”; “Tell me about your background.”; “What are your salary requirements?”; etc. After the phone interview, I was asked to come in and do an in person interview. I accepted and headed to NYU a week later for the interview.

Overall, I would say the interview went ok. A junior/mid level analyst interviewed me for the financial analyst position I applied to. It was a one-on-one interview that lasted roughly 20 minutes. I guess my biggest complaint about the interview was that the guy interviewing me didn’t seem to have a lot of experience conducting interviews. He seemed nervous while talking to me and also seemed like he didn’t know what types of questions to ask me. In fact, now that I think about it, a lot of the questions he asked seemed really random and totally unconnected to the position I was applying for. I’ve been on a lot of other financial analyst interviews recently, and usually I am asked questions like “How do you handle budget inconsistencies?” or “What types of financial controls have you worked with in the past?” This guy was asking things like “What class would you take if you could take any class?” and “Do you like to travel?” In sum, very few of the questions I was asked were actually questions that would measure and determine my ability to perform the tasks of this position.

Once I left the interview, I received a computer generated rejection email several weeks later letting me know I did not get the job. There was no reason given as to why I did not get the job in the email.

Lastly, I want to mention one useful thing for others who may interview with NYU. It seemed to me that NYU really emphasizes that you must have previous experience using their proprietary software. I think this is completely unrealistic. In my interview, I mentioned that while I didn’t have experience using their exact software, I have had experience and training using very similar software. The interviewer seemed concerned that I didn’t have this exact experience. Also, I was asked if I could use Excel during this interview. This is such a dumb question, but one you should be prepared for. I guess the point I’m trying to make here is that they are really, really picky about finding an exact match for the technical skills they’re looking for and they place significant value on having exact experience that matches the job duties.

Interview Question – What class would you take at NYU if you could take any class here?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for NYU (New York University)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NYU (New York University) interview questions and advice in New York City, NY. All 36 interview reviews posted anonymously by NYU (New York University) employees and interview candidates.