Motorola Mobility Interview Questions

Updated 26 Sep, 2014
Updated 26 Sep, 2014

2.8

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Motorola Mobility.

Applied online. First got a phone interview, in which I was asked about my interests and what teams I would be interested in joining. Later had phone interviews answering general coding questions. There wasn't really anything out of the ordinary. Code was done over google doc. Phone interviews were around an hour long.

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied online - interviewed at Motorola Mobility.

The interview process was in fact very funny.
           The first round was telephonic which they said it was mainly to understand the skills of the employee, what the employee is really interested to work in, by sharing their project requirement with the employee.
            I was communicated that they have understood what I am really looking for and they would redirect my profile to the corresponding team for further interview process. This was very much impressive. But when I attended F2F interview, the panel did not even try to check my core skills. Just with searching and sorting algorithm questions how can a person be judged whether he will fit in their project. I agree that such skills are required for anyone, but not everyone will be an expert with everything, however they should check whether the candidate is in a position to understand their project requirement or think about a solution using his core skills. If the candidate fails to understand the requirement itself, then no one can change their decision to reject such a candidate.
          My point here is at least once the panel should try to check the candidate's core skills. The funny part here is the job profile clearly says the what they are looking for and even after the first round telephonic which was specifically to match my core skills and schedule the interview accordingly, and inspite of that, in the F2F interview my core skills were untouched, and more over in the 1 and half hours process, I spent more than an hour waiting.

Interview Questions
    • They asked only one question on algorithms and they could judge me on that it seems. That was the most unexpected situation in fact :)   Answer Question

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Motorola Mobility in September 2014.

Interview was for their Bangalore office. Initial telephonic discussion was good. The person explained what they were trying to do in the area of BigData. Being a BigData professional for close to 5 years, I was OK with the job profile.

When I attended a Face to Face discussion in their Bangalore office, I was attended by their Architect. They asked me to write a Map/Reduce program, gave the Laptop and went off. I wrote the program in around 45 minutes. He came back and told that I took longer than expected to write the code. I told, just giving a laptop, without any libraries required, is not the way to code. There were some compilation errors, obviously because of missing libraries. He was not happy. He never bothered to look at the logic which I was explaining to him. He asked some questions on the program & I answered all of them, modifying the logic. He told I should have anticipated all his questions and should have written program. Common, I am not a mind reader. You give me 1 requirement and I write code to solve that, later our requirement changes & I need to modify the code. He told he doesn't have experience in writing Map/Reduce and he always uses Hive. I tried to explain him, he was the one who asked me to write Map/Reduce, not me. He didn't have an answer. I also patiently explained him on what scenarios we need Map/Reduce & can't do in Hive. Moreover my profile clearly stated that my core strengths are HDFS, Map/Reduce. And I had know how on Hive. I also gave him the HiveQL for his problem.

Later another person came in and his first question was which language I am comfortable with. I told Java, as I had been a Java programmer from 10 Years. His next question was to chose any other language like C/C++. I tried to tell him, its only the syntax and language constructs that differ, but the logic is what that matters. He again stressed that he is not comfortable in Java. I proposed to discuss the solution at Pseudo Code level. Finally he accepted.

Next he did something I was never expecting, he gave me a problem & asked me to solve. Something in lines of validating a mathematical expression. I asked him some questions & he immediately looked up in internet for couple of minutes & gave some answer. I asked more questions and he started looking in internet again. He didn't realize that I could see him opening webpage with a big heading "Interview Questions" in the mirror behind him :). To ask a question you look up in internet. Big joke man. That moment I realized the kind of people I am dealing with.

That moment, I asked are they clear on what the role expects & why I am being not asked questions on my core strengths. They told they are checking my problem solving & they are free to do interviews how they want. It is their company policy.

They called me for BigData, Hadoop related position & only a single question on Hadoop. That too a basic level. No questions on my work experience or the patents I have worked on. They ask questions posted on internet, that too without being clear about the question themselves.

Then they asked me to leave. I never expected a call back and never got one.
    Sent a mail to their Hiring Manager, explaining the same. She is least bothered.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing I could remember. I have given near to optimal solution for all problems. I have double verified in many blogs as well.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Motorola Mobility.

A recruiter reached out to me a month or so before graduation. There was a video chat interview where there was one goggle doc based programming question to find out different permutations of a give string. Then after that there was one more phone interview which consisted of a bunch of oral technical questions, no coding involved. Then they flew me out to their HQ in chicago where I went through 4 rounds of technical interviews. I aced almost all of them except for one where I faltered. After a couple of days the recruiter called saying that I did very well but they would rather hire a phD grad.

Interview Questions
    • For a given 2d bitmap, find out the end points of a region that has only 1s and return true if those end points form a rectangle.   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

I went through staffing agency. Process took a week and had direct face to face interview. No phone interview. Asked questions from my resume and some general test questions. Know your stuff.

Intern Interview

I applied online and got an email from them. They were prompt in replying and set up the interview. The first interview was a general interview. They asked questions about things mentioned on the resume. They asked about education and different programming languages. Second interview was technical.

Interview Questions
    • Some questions were easy. But they asked some questions which were not related to resume.   Answer Question

Design Research Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Motorola Mobility.

Got invitation from their HR. The first phone screen interview last for 30 mins, mostly talked about sponsorship and past experiences. The second phone interview with their team member last about 45 mins. Then I got an invitation for on-site interview 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot behavior questions and my working process.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

It was mainly about algorithm questions, but with 6 different people.

Interview Questions
    • I spent a lot of tim eon the first question.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I have applied the job through a recruiter. And the process is quite fast. Set up a online code interview. Was asked for the top k elements question.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Motorola Mobility in April 2014.

applied online , after a week got a call from HR asking me about language of coding,and discussed few things about my resume. after 2 week got call for my first interview: asking me about various OOPS concept ,then give a coding question to mirror the image . a few days back got call for second round ,in this he had given me a coding question to find out the cavity in xray image of teeth. interview went well but i think they dont want to hire.

Interview Questions
    • coding question to find out the cavity in x-ray image of teeth.   Answer Question

Worked for Motorola Mobility? Contribute to the Community!