Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Updated 1 Apr, 2015
Updated 1 Apr, 2015

2.8

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview

Talked with SVP. All fit questions and nothing technical. The job itself was most secretary work but I was able to see what went on inside a wealth management office.

Client Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in January 2015.

Interview

Was contacted within a week for a phone call, which was half and hr, and in a few days about coming in for an in-person interview. I asked about the interview process and he said there would be ONE interview with just him. He sounded rather young and inexperienced as an interviewer but hey, it's Morgan Stanley. I come in the next day, and it was him and another person, a woman who was pretty high up. I was kind of taken aback about having to repeat everything that we talked about on the phone with the first guy, and the two were both very unprofessional, could barely explain what the job was when I asked about the work-life balance (which is not a question about the aspects of the job, obviously they had no idea what work-life balance is, and when he would try to explain the job, he would look over at the coordinator like he wasn't even sure). Later I was contacted about a potential second interview. Very unorganized for company with such a reputation.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about doing a project (very general, in the randomest part of the conversation)
      How do you solve problems (also very general)

Answer Question

Wealth Management Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview

I was referred by a current employee. I skipped most of the interview process except with HR over the phone because I was working for an individual team. They did ask some strange questions, however, like "I've had a long day, can you tell me a joke?"

Interview Questions

• If someone put a paperclip at the bottom of a very large glass jar, how would you get it out without using your hands?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview

2-step process- phone interview,then a 1:1 interview with director. Phone interview was straight forward and then I went to the office for the in person interview. Basic questions nothing technical.

FAA Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in July 2014.

Interview

The fifteen minute phone screen was scheduled almost immediately after I submitted to the IQ test. The test was pretty simple, straight forwards in nature. The interviewer was very nice and said she would push forward my application to a more in depth interview. The process was pretty reasonable, and I recommend it to most people.

VP- Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview

Interviewed with team of Advisors first. Separate interviews, not two on one. Was impressed by their story of how they ran their practice like a well-oiled machine. Wish it had been true. Then met Office Manager Senior VP for interview that covered all the basics. Then met regional manager briefly for a glossy overview of why it was the best place to work, according to him.

Interview Questions

• Really didn't find anything too difficult or unexpected during the process.   Answer Question

Asset Management Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview

First of all, Excel test regarding corporate finance. How to calculate return of investment, annual payments, and duration. Second, on-site interview. Basically, go through your resume and ask questions involving your relevant work experience.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Washington, DC (US)).

Interview

10 min in person interview. Very informal (at the time).

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult asked. It was more of a brief "shoot the breeze" type of talk.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered $30k, I countered with $33k and they accepted.

Wealth Management Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2014.

Interview

Saw the position at my local branch on Indeed.com . I actually happened upon it by total random chance. Gave the manager a phone call and he was very impressed with my initative and SUPER eager. Interview was EXTREMELY relaxed - more of a conversation. Absolutely no technicals

Interview Questions

• Have a good story as to why you want to work in wealth management.   Answer Question

Mssb Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Atlanta, GA (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews, first one on phone, second one on site; first one basically all behavioral, standard strength/weakness question. Second round on site, two analysts, two Senior VP; junior person asks more technical ones; senior VP focus on situation-behavioral (i.e. if your manager asks you to submit a report about a subject that you are no familiar with, what would you do to meet the tight deadline?); Technical questions are mostly market related (what's S&P today and what does it suggest? How do you think about the current monetary policy? What is the most popular sector in the market right now?)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I accepted the offer immediately; basically no negotiation