Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Interview Questions

Updated 1 Sep, 2014
Updated 1 Sep, 2014

Fixed Income Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group.

Met with senior head of the desk for initial conversation, then with sales person from the desk. You only advanced if the senior person like you and thought you were of interest to the firm.

Interview Questions
    • The head of the desk was very professional and asked direct and competent questions. The sales woman hadn’t prepared and had no idea how to give an interview. She didn’t seem like she wanted to be there so looked for reasons to finish the meeting quickly. She seemed only interested in hiring a cold caller as opposed to an experienced professional which made it feel very boiler room esq and spivy.. i went away feeling Mitsubishi was not the organisation i thought it was.   Answer Question

Temporary Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group in May 2014.

First, an admin comes in to tell you about their application form. You fill it out regardless of whether or not you get hired, so yes, it's a time consuming procedural thing that has no meaning (meaning, don't put down your social). They were very strict to have everything filled out.
    It was an mostly a grilling interview with the main HR. If you pass the HR, you are welcomed to a group interview of your department and see if they like you (they get the final say on this).
    I've spent 25 mins with the HR, and 5 minutes with the group.
    I must say, this was the most STRICT interview I've ever had.

One special note I must mention. An interview question of theirs was to ask if I was punctual. Their whole company, from the moment I arrived, felt extremely formal and always wanted things to be "on time". Unfortunately, they themselves do not reflect punctuality. Be prepared for some long gaps of time waiting for the process to start.

Interview Questions
    • When I interview, I always make sure to write down the questions I was asked, and a quick note on how I answered them (and notice their reactions).
      1) Tell me about your past experience, as if you’re explaining it to your grandmother.
      2) This is a temporary role. Why do you want it?
      3) How are your excel skills?
      4) What do you do for fun?
      5) What makes you different from other candidates? How do you do with team mates?
      6) Are you punctual?
      7) How are your excel skills?
      8) If you notice something strange, when do you bring it up?
        View Answer

Analyst Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group in March 2014.

First round telephone interview, second round face to face, then a third round again face to face (I decided to withdraw after second stage - alarm bells ringing and bad gut feel).

Initial telephone interview they called 15 mins late, asked questions about what i knew relating to the job and then allowed me to ask questions. They wanted phone interview to just be 10 minutes (they stated this on the phone) despite being late; i kept them on the phone by asking questions about the role. Not too hard and fairly easy - just basically trying to see if you're blagging it. It seemed they were only interested in asking random technical questions at this stage rather than explaining anything in great detail about the job I applied for.

A few days passed and I was invited for a second round which was face to face (includes a 30 minute test). Again they turned up late - instead opting to get the receptionist to lead me into a room with an test paper. (To be honest I felt like i was at school again). Test paper wasnt that hard but if you lied on your CV / skills it would be. Basically if you get to this stage, you should be able to answer most questions - nothing to worry about.

Face to face was just okay - felt like they wanted to question me first rather than explain anything about the job. It did seem one way in terms of what I can offer them, what my background is, etc rather than discussing anything about the role. In the end I was forced to ask questions about what the job entailed, a typical day / tasks examples, what they currently have (in terms of set up, software, team size) and what they're looking for and so on.

I just couldnt get excited about it if truthful - they wanted someone for average money to be good at everything rather than being realistic and getting a small team together or to lower expectations rather than seeking this imaginary "superman" they're waiting for. They wanted anything and everything from one individual; business analysis, development, project management, finance knowledge and someone happy to work very long hours (10 hour days with some evening work).

It just wasnt worth it; they came across as if they didn't know what or who they wanted; instead opting for someone that can do everything (unlikely). This plus being late twice put me off and didnt carry on with the process. If you come away feeling something isnt right then walk away - you havent even got in the door so see it as a lucky escape.

I'm sure there are good teams to work with in Mitsubishi UFJ, but as with all firms a lot of it is luck - if you get a good manager willing to invest and encourage you whilst caring who you are and what you can offer then you're on to a winner. I didn't get this experience...

Interview Questions
    • Asking me a few financial questions and digging deeper until i got stuck and watching how i reacted. I saw no reason to do this as it was a software development / analyst role not a finance role.   Answer Question

They treated me okay face to face but not overly warm. very long hours, asking for unrealistic skillset with average pay, disregard for my time by turning up late twice. Kind of grilled me and seemed a bit one way rather than talking like professionals.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group.

2 online tests, telephone interview, interview with head of DCM and with 2 members of DCM team.

Intern (Derivatives Trading/Structuring) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group in January 2011.

Mitsubishi UFJ Securities International (subsidiary of MUFG) were quick to respond to my application, sending me online tests after a couple of days (I applied at turn of year). After passing these, I had a phone interview 1-2 weeks after. The interview was very well balanced; a good 30-45 minutes to genuinely get to know you. Questions ranged from "why our institution", "why you", just a couple of competencies, one work-based comptetency, a couple of reasonable maths questions, a couple of reasonable economics questions ("what are two way that a bank raises capital", "explain what you know by the term QE" so nothing needing an economics degree), and a chance to ask questions. The assessment centre was around two weeks later, and like the phone interview held special emphasis on personality. In the morning was an investment game, in the afternoon a 1-1 interview. My experience of the people was that they were friendly, and the atmosphere outside of the interview group was still fairly friendly and relaxed. A few days after the assessment centre, I received a call asking me to come in for a final interview with the business area leaders who were interested in me. I had two interviews the day after and only an hour after I got home I got a call with an offer. My general experience was of a friendly HR team and friendly set of bankers. Successful applicants probably always have a positive bias, but for sure I felt their attitude at interview allowed me to come into my own.

Interview Questions
    • Describe what happened to cause the financial crisis, in a couple of minutes, as if you were telling it, to say, your grandmother.   View Answer
    Internships aren't particularly negotiable - this was my first offer so I just took it.