Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 14 Apr, 2015
Updated 14 Apr, 2015

3.2

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter came to campus at a career fair. Had a 30 minute interview roughly 2 weeks after submitting survey. I was applying for a position that goes to 4th years normally so it was tougher than expected. 1 behavioral question.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

interviewer was friendly, made me feel comfortable. It was on campus one on one interview. Interviewer also kept pushing me to answer the coding question. He was extremely helpful, and made sure that I could at least answer the question

Interview Questions

• asked me about current projects and my work experience/.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On-Campus interview, then a long wait before getting an onsite. The whole process was very clear, extremely well-treated, and a lot of fun. Really liked that we had a break between the interviews, which is different from the other onsites I've had, where it's just 3-4 hours of interviews in a row.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, I felt happy with my offer.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On Campus Interview, one on one with a senior developer. He told me a bit about him self let me ask questions about his work. Asked me about my experience at one of my jobs on my resume asked both technical questions like what I had done as well as soft questions about problems in the workplace. then asked one technical question.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to count the number of instances of a string inside another string   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

gave my resume at my to an university career fair and they emailed me after a few weeks.
    in the email, they put an rsvp for an interview. the interviewer was nice.

Interview Questions

• Asked some behavioural questions. Then, coding question.

given an array of integers return the missing number. the integers would be consecutive but at random.

for example: 1,4,3,6,5
      return 2

1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was a full-day process, I had one person responsible for me whom I'd meet in the morning, at lunch and for the final questions at the end of the day. The rest of the day was spent going from office to office, interviewing with (mostly) developers and project managers, spending an hour with each. The questions were predominantly technical, ranging from puzzlers to pieces of code the interviewer was currently working on.

Interview Questions

• Domain-specific technical question (which I had no background in) - had to improvise on the spot, and took a number of wrong turns. It was difficult in that it knocked my confidence down for the next couple questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to push the salary a few % higher

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Toronto, ON) in January 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with a manager with technical backgrounds for 30 minutes. Asked about past experience on resume, description of what you did...etc, then asked to find least common parent given two nodes in a BST. The overall experience was nice, I was a little nervous when answering the questions.

Application

Interview

I summited my resume when they came to my university. It takes only `1 week to get the interview. But I have not prepare for anything that time. The question was difficult than those online. I did not perform well. The interviewer seems not help with clarify the question. I need to find the specific functions. If the communication is well, that will be helpful.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by campus recruiter after handing in my resume during an info session. Had an on-campus interview and was asked 1 technical question involving linked list (very simple), and stuff on my resume. A month or so later, I was emailed regarding planning for my trip to Redmond for the final round of interviews. Great experience, had 4 interviews in Redmond. The interview problems were very basic, involving first year data structures and algorithms. Was contacted about offer about 1 week later.

Interview Questions

• Develop a function to draw a n-ary tree, with each set of subtrees being centered on its root, recursively.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied through Campus career fair, got email from HR to schedule on campus interview in a few weeks, first round interview on campus/I had a fair negative experience interviewing at Microsoft, the first time the interviewer didn't show up and missed all the candidate interviews in the morning ( There were about 8 of us) and the second time since I got another offer I emailed the HR asking if I could get my feedback from the interview and they simply informed me that there was no record of my interview feedback. This is pretty disappointing and I don't think it leaves me a very good impression about Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer works in the big data team, when I described my past experiences he asked some big data related questions to my work   Answer Question