Microsoft Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2014

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Applied through University career fair.
Got call after 2 to 3 week for an interview in the university

Interview Questions
  • there was nothing difficult.
    First i was asked about my technical project and my ideas that i implemented in those projects and how it helped the overall outcome.

Rest was technical
    1 Convert String to Integer and test it.
    2. Array and Linked list complexities. Their advantages and disadvantages.
    3. Algorithm for tic-toke
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2013.

This was through a college recruitment. Phone interview to assess for a technical internship. Mostly behavioral type of questions. Asked some questions about my preferences in language; details about projects, what they did, any team mates that I worked with. I had to . Then a small brain teaser about dividing up some sticks.

Interview Questions
    • Silly brainteasers that depend mostly on how well the interviewer can communicate with you. My question was paying workers with gold bar segments and you can only cut it 2 times.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2013.

It was surprisingly easy and clean. Had an on campus filtering interview followed by a day of interviews on-site at Seattle which came within a week. The results were communicated back in less than 48 hours. They do coax you to accept the job and push you to make a decision quickly, which I think is reasonable.

Interview Questions
    • Very predictable. Lots of coding questions and the bar raiser being a Dynamic programming question   Answer Question
    No negotiations since I was a fresher and I didn't have any competing job offers at that time.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I am respecting the process, but my experience was that I got an on-campus interview, 45 min. Went well enough. I got contacted the next day that I would have another round of interviews, which turned out to be scheduled for the following morning at 8 am, where I had two 45 min interviews back to back on-campus. I thought it was an interesting process that didn't leave a lot of time to prepare

Interview Questions
    • Study algorithms, prepare for problem solving questions   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

I had an on-campus interview where I met with an engineer from the company. We went over 3 questions during the interview and then he mentioned that I would hear from someone in regard to moving forward. 2 weeks later, I heard that I made the final round and arranged a flight to WA. The final interview consisted of 5 interviews with different groups.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

45 minute campus interview with an engineer. If you pass the first, you'll be invited for a second, then usually flown to Seattle for further interviews if you pass the second.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Contact with school recruiter and got an interview after a week. I expected the interviewee with a technical guy but it turn out with a recruiter. She ask about background, and 1 question (brain storm). I was disappointed since no coding question is asked.

Interview Questions
    • Very simple question: There are 9 jars. 8 jars contain marbles which each marble weights 1 gram, and 1 jar contains marbles weight 1.1 gram. With a scale display number, how can define which jar contain 1.1 gram marble with only 1 scale.   View Answer

Written :
    1. Objective
    2. Subjective
    Interviews (three rounds)
    1. Technical (45 mints to one hour)
    2. Technical (45 mints to one hour)
    3. HR
    C,C++,Data structures, few general aptitude
    Some thing like
    1. Output of small code snippets
    2. Comparing two code snippets and guess which code runs fast
    3. Shift operations (at least 2 to 3 questions)
    4. Tree traveling’s (given pre order and predict post order kind of things)
    5. Graphs
    6. Linked lists (al least 2 questions for sure)
    7. String manipulations

2. What are your goals
    3. Straights and weaknesses
    4. What you did to overcome your weakness

Software Development Engineer I Interview

College campus hiring. 3 interviews. 2 basic coding. 1 design. No HR.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Written test followed by 3 rounds

Interview Questions
    • Mostly there were problem solving questions and questions depending on your resume. I recall the following questions:

1. Given a linked list containing 0s and 1s rearrange it so that all 0s come before 1s..... O(n)

2. Given a binary tree find the max diameter and the two end nodes of it.

3. Delete the kth node from end of a linked list (single pass)

There were some more.. That I don't recall.

I work in NLP and ML. So they asked a lot of questions regarding my project and internships. So prepare your resume well..
        Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!