Microsoft

Getting the Interview

35 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cambridge, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details Travel and accommodation arranged by friendly, professional staff. Whole day interview to talk to 6 people. Topics covers both project/program management and domain knowledge (speech, NLP, dialog). It was nice experience

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2010.

Interview Details HR could be a bit disorganized, but the actual interview loop was relatively smooth. Definitely bring your resume as HR is unreliable about this -- even for internals.

Interview Question – Using a satellite photo, tell me how many blades of grass are in a square meter of the turf outside this building.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The group seemed demoralized and uncertain about their futures.

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through other source - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

Interview Details While I was working at Microsoft as a vendor, a PM with whom I'd worked approached me to ask if I might be interested in applying for a Senior PM position he would be hiring and for which he thought I would be a good fit.

I applied online and he indicated to HR that he wanted me in the candidate pool. They scheduled a day of interviews in the form of Lync meetings, which I found tricky because I didn't have the benefit of meeting with the interviewers face-to-face.

I made it through the full day of interviews but didn't hear from them for weeks. I pinged my original contact a couple of weeks later and he let me know that the individual members of team with which I'd interviewed couldn't agree on the qualities they were looking for or what they hoped the person in the position would actually do so they couldn't agree that I was the person for the job. Ultimately he let me know that half the team wanted me but the other half were undecided. They opted not to hire the position at all until they could agree on the specifics about the role. I believe they still haven't hired.

Interview Question – My second interviewer led off by asking me "Which domains do you think we should focus on in our solution?" Given 1) my lack of technical expertise in the area; and 2) that I was interviewing for a management position, I thought that was a pretty tough question to start with.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager

I applied in-person - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

Interview Details behavioral questions
situational questions
design question
resume based questions

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2011.

Interview Details employee referral lead to informational (1:1) interview.
a formal interview loop was established with 5 different people (peers, developers, managers)
a final as appropriate interview with a senior director for the parent group.

Interview Question – Create the design specifications for a Car.   View Answer

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details They flew me to Seattle and put me up in a super nice hotel the night before. We started the interview process at 11 the next day.

between 11 and 1 we were taken around the Microsoft campus in Redmond as well as given 10 dollars for lunch at their food court area. The concierge was a pretty cool dude and I was really enjoying myself.

After that we had 4 one-on-one interviews with people from microsoft who worked in the positions we were hiring for. Besides having to wait over two hours after to hear if I received an offer, it was a pretty pleasant experience.

Interview Question – None of the questions were all that difficult and they mostly pertained to what I spoke to them about. With a program manager interview if you are confident and have strong interests in something specific, then steer the interview to a that interest. For example, I have a lot of interest with collaboration in China and whenever I brought that up, they used scenarios that had to do with doing business with China. It was great.

The last interviewer asked me to design a calculator, which is a question someone else received in the glassdoor reviews so I would prepare for that one.
  View Answer

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

Interview Details Overall very smooth and streamlined hiring and interview process. The recruiter that setup the hiring process was on top of everything. I had two phone screens followed by a full loop.

Interview Question – Design a scalable system to collect all feedback for the Office product system.   View Answer

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Back in the day, MS had an high entry bar despite the company's constant need for anyone. These days, expect a bunch of puzzle questions and be prepared to spend the day getting probed.

Interview Question – Too long ago to recall   Answer Question

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details The overall experience was really good. I've had other interviews with Microsoft and they've all been great. The structure is always the same:
First contacted by either hiring manager or recruiter followed by a short phone screen to see if the person and the resume fits.

After initial phone screen a "loop" is scheduled with multiple interviews on the same day "on site" at Microsoft. All information about how the loop would work, who I would meet, etc was given in advance. The recruiter and the interviewers were extremely professional throughout the entire process. The Microsoft loop is described in details all over the internet so I will not go into that. I went through six interviews of varying difficulty and details before being handed over to the "asap". Once at the asap I was pretty much told that I had a job if I wanted one and that they really wanted me to join their team - this is probably not general practice so don't expect your last interview to be a "what can we do/say to make you join us"-type of session.

Each interview had it's own characteristics, but they all followed the same pattern: ice-breaker for a few minutes, asking about my past experiences, testing technical ability by a problem solving or design open-ended question of some sort, personality evaluation type of questions, and the final 5-10minutes to answer any questions I might have (and yes, I had questions of my own - you should too).

I was asked not only "management" related questions. There were a few more in-depth technical "problems" to solve. I did not have to do whiteboard coding, but I did have to design programming APIs and break down and try to explain a real-life client-server based architecture. No questions were really unexpected or shook me out of my comfort zone, perhaps that had more to do with my familiarity by then with the Microsoft interview structure than the actual questions - some might find it difficult and unexpected to have to go into such deep technical details when applying for what is considered to be a management position. There was none of the infamous Microsoft "brain teasers" during this interview (though I've had them in other interviews).

Throughout the interview day I had a really good experience. The team was definitely right for me as we "clicked" on most topics, and what turned out to be a seven hour day of interviews felt more like a short lunch - I had fun during the day! The team seemed very enthusiastic about their work and really passionate about Microsoft and the product they worked on and managed to convey that to me through their actions and answers to my own questions.

Interview Question – Like I said in the above text there was no real unexpected question. The hardest one would probably be the question about designing an API from scratch on a blank whiteboard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is room for negotiating the base salary and the sign-on bonus. There doesn't seem to be any room for negotiation on the other parts.

Senior Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details 1 hour interview that went for about 1.25 hrs. Very focussed on process as applied to a real world problem, very enjoyable actually. Describe critical features that would be core to providing business travelers who are foodies access to rooms with cooking facilities and what peripheral features and our businesses could be helpful to provide this service

Interview Question – How to provide test process to a Toaster assembly line   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Senior Program Manager interview questions and advice. All 35 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.