Microsoft Senior Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 5, 2014

3.6

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Process is very straight forward. Recruiting Consultant will perform the initial interview via telephone. From there you will be either recommended for a technical interview or will be dropped. In my case I was recommended and had a tech interview that went very bad. The tech interviewer (who was a Principal Consultant) was 15 mins late and did not have any prepared questions. The entire interview was off-the-cuff and very unprofessional. I was not given a chance to move on in the interview process with the Hiring Manager, which is just as well as the entire tech interview process left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mississauga, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2009.

6 interviews with a blend of technical and business/consulting type questions. HR when I was originally hired was much better and more professional. Now they seemed to have outsourced HR to a company that was clearly the lowest bidder. They mess up interviews times etc. - completely unprofessional - but you get what you pay for.

Interview Questions
    • A couple of off the wall questions like "what are you reading now". Technical questions in can be challenging, but generally not an issue if you are smart and know your stuff.   Answer Question
    Here is the deal - no real negotiation.

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Was referred by a Microsoft employee for a consulting position. After being contacted multiple times by different recruiters, MS flew me to a branch office for an onsite interview. Only one person showed up to interview me the entire day, and I was left sitting in a conference room the rest of the time. The interview with the practice leader went well, then I heard nothing for six months. After being contacted by the employee who referred me, I emailed the recruiter asking if I was still being considered. I received an apology and was told there was an internal reorg and they just forgot to tell me the position was closed.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I was made aware of the job through a recruiter. I was interviewing for a senior consultant position with Microsoft. My area is Microsoft Dynamics AX. I had a phone interview and invitation to the tech center in Texas. The process was to go through about 5 to 6 interviews, one after another. It was a very tough day. I was a bit concerned because at the time I had a lot of ERP experience but not that much AX experience. Well, at the end of the day I was told that I was liked and awaited a job offer. The offer never came. They basically said, not the right time.

Interview Questions
    • Microsoft's questions for technical people are apparently, legendary. However, I was to be an ERP consultant so I did not receive that difficult of questions because I knew the ERP space. However, they did try to work in a white board exercise so be prepared to do that. My question was how would I go about implementing a multi-site engagement.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

MicroSoft really does have a machine when it comes to the interview process. It started when I got an invite from an internal MS Recruiter on LinkedIn. After initially turning him away, he was persistent and we had a short discussion on the phone. This was followed by a more formal phone discussion where he outlined the job and what they were looking for to see if I might have an interest. He allowed me to think about it for a weekend and we decided to move forward.

That was followed up with a phone interview with a Sr. Consultant that was focused on technical questions on the system primarily along with some soft skill questions.

I had another phone interview with a consultant and was then handed off to a Staffing Consultant Team who arranged for me to have an onsite interview.

I flew in the night before and got into their office early on a Friday. I met with the Consulting Manager who interviewed me, followed by 2 other interviewers. It was approximately a half day process in their office.

They followed up with a response the early part of the next week.

Truthfully, I probably had as many questions for them as they had for me. And I believed that worked in my favor. I did research on LinkedIn for the final three interviewers to get an understanding of where they may be coming from.

Interview Questions
    • Whether or not I minded working on a team.   View Answer
    They indicated that there really wasn't any room salary wise on their offer (which was very fair for the position). After initially making some requests, and after discussing it with my wife, we decided that their offer was generous and we didn't need to negotiate any further.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raanana (Israel)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raanana (Israel)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

Head hunter contacted me and initiated the process. Then MS recuiters kept me updated and scheduled appointments.
    I had a meeting with my direct manager (will ask about salary expectations), then a technical interview with another consultant, and then an interview with HR and department manager.
    frequency of meetings was every 10 days approx.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a scenario in which you were torn between customer needs and your company's needs.   Answer Question
    • Describe a one of your failures   Answer Question
    No negotiations. They asked my what my expectations were, and presented my a "take it or leave it" offer that was less then my declared expectations were

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2009.

Had six rounds of interview. It was straight forward. Had a Technical round and then puzzeles interview round and then meet some management and leaders. The lunch was informal and was able to talk general work stuff as well. The turn around time was quick. Did not get a chance to negeotiate much

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Good hiring process , multiple rounds , each round is equally important and need to do good in all the rounds.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2008.

5 rounds

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

Was initially contacted by a recruiter from my LinkedIn profile. Consistently well-organized and professional process. Three phone interviews - the first describing how they felt my experience fit the position and the last two were more technical ensuring that I knew the product architecture using specific customer scenarios. I was then flown out to an office and had three seperate on-site interviews that focused mostly on consulting skill set. It was a well performed conversational interview process and a low-stress experience.

Interview Questions
    • Have you delt with a difficult customer - what what the situation and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!