Microsoft

Updated 26 Feb, 2015
Updated 26 Feb, 2015

3.3

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Applied at campus career fair. 2 weeks later did campus-interview. Pretty straight forward behavioural questions and one technical. Be sure to study programming and study design (engineering design process a plus). Offered final round but it's been pushed back for months.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Applied during a university career fair. Asked two questions: why Microsoft, why PM, and briefly discussed about a project on my resume.

Round 1: had a 20 min interview on university campus. 10 minute resume overview, then 10 min technical (pseudo-programming) question.

Round 2: after a month of delays because my email had been incorrectly entered in their system, I was flown in to Redmond for the last stage (1h interviews)
    First interview was with a PM managing code shipment, during which we discussed my projects, and she asked me how I would improve an app (web/mobile) I liked.
    Second interview was with a tech PM who asked me what part of the tech stack I'd prefer to work on, and asked me to design an algorithm that optimizes CPU performance.
    Third interview was 1h30 (including lunch). After sharing personal life experiences over lunch we went over another project listed on my resume.
    Fourth: interviewed with a senior PM. She asked me several design related question. 1 how would you go about demolishing a building on Microsoft's campus, 2. what product would you invent, and how would you use it, 3. what would you improve in airports user experience.

Interview Questions
    • If you could invent anything, what would it be? (unexpected). How would you improve UX in airports? (I had very little time to come up with my answer)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON
    Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

In the first round I was asked behavioural questions and questions about product lifecycle. If I were to continue, I would have been flown to Seattle for the next round of approximately 4 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Design an mobile application for a kids phone to let them call, message and manage contacts.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

The questions were very straightforward. I got a few questions on wireframing apps and just my personal experiences on the resume. There were 2 different interviewers in total.

Interview Questions
    • *Explain _technical term__ to a 5 year old.   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

First interview in Toronto, Second in Seattle - included 4 rounds talking with different Program Managers.

2 technical questions and one design scenario question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

pre screen on campus and then a day of interviews (5) in redmond

Program Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I interviewed on campus. This is the first out of 2 interviews. It was one on one with a Microsoft employee.

We sat down and she asked me some basic questions
    1. What is your favourite microsoft product. What would you change about it? What feature would you add to Microsoft
    2. Design your dream elevator
    3. What is a link list. Explain how you would implement it
    4. Reverse a string.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

There were 2 rounds of interview- one on campus and one in Redmond. The campus interview is very basic and the one in Redmond was oriented around design questions of everyday lifes.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really unexpected. I think I should have been better prepared though. Make sure you get enough sleep the night before.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

I've got the interview opportunities through campus recruiting. And there's a interview prep session and on campus interview. Be prepared for technical questions. They might not seem difficult but think outside the box.