Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated 26 Mar, 2015
Updated 26 Mar, 2015

3.3

Program Manager Interview

Interview

University Recruiting involved a 30 minute on campus technical interview followed by a full day series of in person interviews in Redmond, WA. It was a long day of interviews but was a very positive experience. Questions were all design and behavioral based for PM positions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

At first, a HR rep reached out to me to fill out interview selection time for two Skype interviews.
    When the time comes, the interviewer requested contact on Skype and began video calling right away.
    Both of my interviewers are PMs and spoke fluent English.

Surprisingly, I was not asked to do any programming questions. Maybe it's because it's a Skype interview.

For the first interviewer, he asked a lot about my experiences. For ex, tell me about this experience; how did you go about solving this and that at this internship, etc.

The other interviewer asked more product questions. For example, there are two features of a specific product (he described it), how do you choose which one to implement?

Interview Questions

• How would you describe __________(an example product) to your 80-year-old grandmother?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I met Microsoft representatives at Career fair at my school.
    I then submitted my resume. I was then was contacted 2-3 weeks afterwards for an on campus interview. It was about 15-30 minute Interview. It took then another 2-3 weeks to an update on my application. I wasn't super prepared for the technical questions so I need to brush up on these. The design questions are not too hard, but you may get asked harder technical questions. My friends were asked one behaviour question and one technical while I was asked two.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied at campus career fair. 2 weeks later did campus-interview. Pretty straight forward behavioural questions and one technical. Be sure to study programming and study design (engineering design process a plus). Offered final round but it's been pushed back for months.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Interview

Applied during a university career fair. Asked two questions: why Microsoft, why PM, and briefly discussed about a project on my resume.

Round 1: had a 20 min interview on university campus. 10 minute resume overview, then 10 min technical (pseudo-programming) question.

Round 2: after a month of delays because my email had been incorrectly entered in their system, I was flown in to Redmond for the last stage (1h interviews)
    First interview was with a PM managing code shipment, during which we discussed my projects, and she asked me how I would improve an app (web/mobile) I liked.
    Second interview was with a tech PM who asked me what part of the tech stack I'd prefer to work on, and asked me to design an algorithm that optimizes CPU performance.
    Third interview was 1h30 (including lunch). After sharing personal life experiences over lunch we went over another project listed on my resume.
    Fourth: interviewed with a senior PM. She asked me several design related question. 1 how would you go about demolishing a building on Microsoft's campus, 2. what product would you invent, and how would you use it, 3. what would you improve in airports user experience.

Interview Questions

• If you could invent anything, what would it be? (unexpected). How would you improve UX in airports? (I had very little time to come up with my answer)   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Waterloo, ON) in November 2014.

Interview

In the first round I was asked behavioural questions and questions about product lifecycle. If I were to continue, I would have been flown to Seattle for the next round of approximately 4 interviews.

Interview Questions

• Design an mobile application for a kids phone to let them call, message and manage contacts.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Montreal, QC) in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted after giving my resume to a recruiter at a University Career Fair. A 30m on-campus interview was then scheduled for two weeks after.

The interview was quite different than what I had prepared from Cracking the PM Interview. There were no behavioural questions but more questions about processes or software engineering.

I got a reply less than a month letter telling me I did well in the interview and would have been a great fit but all the positions were filled for the Summer.

If you apply for a PM Internship, I would recommend applying as soon as possible.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Toronto, ON) in February 2014.

Interview

The questions were very straightforward. I got a few questions on wireframing apps and just my personal experiences on the resume. There were 2 different interviewers in total.

Interview Questions

• *Explain _technical term__ to a 5 year old.   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

First interview in Toronto, Second in Seattle - included 4 rounds talking with different Program Managers.

Program Manager Interview

Interview

2 technical questions and one design scenario question