Microsoft Program Manager Intern Interview Questions & Reviews

48 interviews

3.4

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Microsoft was doing a meet and greet with students at my university. I dropped off my application and got an e-mail asking whether I would be interested in an interview about 1-2 weeks after initially dropping off my application. The interview process is two-fold. First is the on-campus interview. They basically asked the university for some rooms in the computer science building for a couple of day so they could interview students. I got interviewed by one of the guys that works in the Visual Studio department. We first started off with why I want to work at Microsoft and which type of products I would be interested working on. Next came the more technical questions (i.e. what programming languages do you know). I mentioned that I was programming in C and C++ at the time (due to doing a course on operating systems). The interviewer than proceeded to ask me to write a function that could spot a palindrome (in C) and also have error detection (i.e. if you input a -1 it returns and error). This part was a bit tricky cause I wasn't used to writing code on paper and I was already nervous which didn't help. But, after initially starting to write, the code started to flow and that part went well. Next, I was asked to design a sort of version control application that coders could use when working on projects. I asked the interviewer questions regarding specs and then just ran with it. I literally did not stop talking about the design until he told me to stop. I honestly think that's what got me through to the second round of interviews. Overall, the experience was really good. I'll be going for the second round of interviews in August.

Interview Questions
  • Design a type of application that would allow coders to talk to each other and work on code together.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ottawa, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interviewed at my university, going to interview in Microsoft in about 2 weeks

Interview Questions
    • The manhatten problem.

There are several Groups of People in a city-grid. How do you find the easiest place for them to meet?
      The easiest means the place that is the least amount of effort for the least amount of people.
        View Answer
    I still have not been interviewed for the final decision.

Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

I talked to the recruiter at an information session event, asking about the job/application process for junior undergraduate students. She was very nice and enthusiastic. I handed in my application the next day to her in person, and was scheduled an on-campus (at my university) interview after 2 weeks.

The actual interviewer was horribly unprofessional. He was grumpy to begin with, supposedly due to his jetlag from flying over to Toronto. He asked me what my interests are within Microsoft (User Experience/ Drivers and Firmwares/ OS and Dev Tools, etc) even though I had already filled out a form indicating my interests. Also asked me which internship position I'm most interested in, Software Development Engineer (SDE), SDE in Test, or Program Manager Intern (PM). I also indicated previously that I'm most interested in PM, which is under the umbrella term "Software Development" on Microsoft's recruiting page (http://careers.microsoft.com/careers/en/us/tech-software-internships.aspx). However, he seemed adamant on claiming that PM role is not a software position, saying multiple times that I'm interesting in SDE/SDET when I kept telling him no, I'm interested in PM.

Off to a bad start, mostly since he didn't seem to even know what he was interviewing me for.

He then asked me about my previous projects, reading my resume (seemingly for the first time). On my resume I mention OpenCV (computer vision), which he read as OpenCL, asking me questions about how I used it in parallel computing. I politely told him that I used OpenCV for processing images, but he didn't seem to understand it. After about 5 minutes (of the 30 minute interview) of him thinking I knew about OpenCL, he re-read the resume and realized his mistake. At this point, I thought he would just apologize/move on, but he proceeded to tell me how he thought it was OpenCL, that my program would be much better with parallel processing, and just overall making it seem like it's suddenly my fault for not using OpenCL.

Now I'm pretty upset, since I felt that his view on my projects were not even based on what I did, but more what he thought I did.

Regardless, he asked me technical questions, most of which I answered correctly. I had a momentary lapse in memory and said sorting an array takes O(logn), but I quickly apologized and stated the correct complexity. He seemed irked by my mistake and asked me to write a C code for mergesort. While I was writing this (wasn't that long, 5 minutes max throughout which I explained my thought process), he picked up his bag from the floor and started taking out packages. When I looked over, I noticed he had actually taken out the file for the next interviewee. He was obviously not paying attention, and he made it worse by taking out his phone and proceeding to check email or send a text. He pretty much ignored all I said and afterwards just briefly looked at my code (which was correct).

Overall he was absolutely rude and unprofessional.
    Oh also, throughout the beginning few questions about my interests in specific jobs, he always started by saying "I have to ask this, ......" in the most oh-my-gosh-why-do-I-have-to-interview-people tone. Seemed like he didn't want to be there at all.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of n elements (not sorted), what is the complexity of checking if an element is in the array? How do you improve it to less than O(n)?   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

My initial interview was at my university's campus and lasted approximately 30 minutes. My interviewer was 20 minutes late.. He asked me two questions: 1) What is the biggest technical challenge that you are proud of overcoming? 2) How many elevators do you need for a building (after asking some questions, the building is 40 floors - first 10 floors are retail, the next 20 are corporate, and the top 10 are residential)? 4 weeks later, I finally heard from an interview scheduler that I've made it to the final round interview in Redmond, WA. I had a pending offer so they worked with me to get up there as quickly as possible. They covered everything including airfare, rental car, food, and lodging so that was nice. On interview day, I first spoke with my recruiter for less than 10 minutes. I was rushed to the Bellevue office because of the time it took to get there. I ended up hanging in the waiting room for 30 minutes before I was called. The first interviewer asked me a few questions about my resume and then two technical-ish questions. First one was how would I improve the elevator and the second was to write a program to find the area of the intersection of two rectangles. I didn't have any breaks in between any of my interviews. The second interviewer asked me detailed questions about a project on my resume. He then gave me a scenario with a manager, a dev team, and a customer group. The manager wants me, the PM, to increase revenue by $1mil however way I can. The customer wants to increase by $2mil but they will provide resources. The dev team says that they can do $1mil but it won't be immediate. How do you handle the situation? I guess the main point was to notice that the $2mil is actually not better than $1mil because they will be providing more workers than the dev team would've. I didn't make that realization so that probably is where I lost the position. The next interviewer was late by about 15 min (so I guess I did get some break). We ate lunch and just talked about what I like about Bing and what I don't like and random stuff like what I do for fun. We then went back to his office and talked about things on my resume. He then asked me how I would improve the elevator there. They seem to really like questions about elevators. He then told me that I was done for the day and could head back to the recruiting building. I knew at that point I didn't get it since I only got 3 interviews. They got back to me the next day via email that I didn't get it. Overall, it was a good experience and I hope to try again for full-time in the future.

Interview Questions
    • You are given two rectangles. Write a program to find the area of the intersection.   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

One phone screen, and then onsite interview in Redmond. Phone screen was fairly basic, we just went over resume and a brainteaser. Redmond interviews were four one-on-ones. A mix of design questions, resume review, behavioral questions, coding questions, and just general chatting. Heard back the day after the onsite interview.

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

30 mins on campus interview with an engineer, who asked 1 technical question (algorithms) and a product design question. On-site interviews: 4 separate interviews with different program managers within one group, much less scary than I thought it was going to be. The interviews want to see how you think, and they don't expect you to come up with the right answers right away.

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

I applied through my school's career website in October. In mid-December, I received an email from a recruiter for a phone interview. This interview lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of behavior questions and a few technical/critical thinking questions. Overall, the interviewer was very nice and helpful throughout the questions which made the interview go well. Since the holiday season was very close to my phone interview date, I had to wait a little longer to get results, at least that's what they said. During the second week in January, I received an email congratulating and saying that I will move onto the final round of interviews. I was then informed that I would be going out to Redmond in a week later for the on-site interviews.

With just a little bit of information from me, they were able to book the trip for me and I did not have much to do. Once in Redmond for the interviews, we met with our recruiters and they introduced themselves to us. We were then taken by a concierge to The Commons to eat lunch around 11:30. He also showed us a little bit of the campus. After eating lunch, we were guided to explore a little more before we went to the Company Store. We had to be back to the first building by 1 for the start of interviews. Once back, individual people came out to get us for a 1 on 1 interview. Each interview was about 45 minutes with 15 minute breaks in-between where you can play Xbox, use a Surface, snack, or relax on the couch. Half way through, we got a longer break to relax or do whatever.

After all of the interviews concluded, we were told that we would be notified within the next week if we were offered a position.

They pay for your meals and fun activities too! So have fun!

Interview Questions
    • What are the 3 concepts of a Program Manager? (I didn't know the specific words he was looking for, but I had the concepts) Everything else was manageable.   Answer Question
    Since it's an internship, no negotiations. But it's a GREAT offer anyways.

Program Manager - Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

Microsoft visited my school campus during the career fair. I spoke to them and said I would like to be considered for the Program manager internship. I had a campus interview where I was asked to design a product review system for an online seller like Amazon, Ebay etc. I just had to come up with unique ideas and defend it. Second round was at Redmond. It was an all day process. Had a total of 4 rounds. First round guy asked me a tech question: write a program to find out the angular difference between hour and minute hands of the clock for a particular time. Second guy asked me to design a inventory management system. Third guy asked me to design a GPS system embedded within a car and the fourth guy asked me to design a system that managed customer issues more effectively.

Interview Questions
    • This was the most trickiest part, I never felt any question was the toughest as all of them were open ended. Infact, it was only the first question in which I fumbled a bit because I wasn't really counting on my tech skills for this position. The second time, I feel I slipped a bit was I was thinking on how to implement a GPS embedded within a car and the interviewer said 'keep talking.. keep talking'. other then that I felt it was a smooth interview.   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Madison, WI (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Visited their booth at the career fair at first and contacted by the recruiter to schedule the interview on campus and it was about 45 mins long. The engineer seems not very friendly tho and asked me about 2 behaviour question and 2 technical question

Interview Questions
    • how to swap two bits in the linked list and how to sort an array of integer with linear complexity   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

1. Behavioral questions
    2. Write code to determine if a given string is a palindrome

Microsoft took more than a month to get back to me saying I wouldn't be considered for further interviews

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!