Microsoft

Updated 8 Oct, 2014

3.4

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Was greeted by a flustered looking man. I asked what he did at Microsoft and he started talking for a good ten minutes about how he was a software engineer in video. Interviewer made poor eye contact, and was not friendly at all.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Product Manager Interview

Pretty standard process: first 2 behavior questions, why PM, why MS; then a simple tech questions on data structure; then a question on schedule delay; then a product design problem

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Was asked to meet in person after the first interview

Interview Questions
    • Nothing about the interview was unexpected. I would however recommend to not overstate anything on your resume and be prepared for behavioral questions.   Answer Question

They could not match another offer i received

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

One day of interviews, 5 in all, with an as-appropriate at the end.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a new user interface for a bank application   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Long and arduous. Old-fashioned and difficult to understand what people did in their roles - lots of overlap. Getting to interview took years

Interview Questions
    • there is a car park - how do you design a system to advise drivers how many spots are free?   Answer Question
    Not too bad. MSFT offered (at the time) sign on bonus and help with residency. Health care was to notch at that time.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

The process is run tight with 4-6 people on the interview loop. Most questions are case questions (similar to consulting)

Interview Questions
    • how do you weigh an air plain without using a scale?   View Answer
    very little room for negotiation

Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

first round interview at b-school. usual process. one skills interview and one case interview. second round (final round) at microsoft in redmond. typically four to five interviews with the team. two interviews with peers, which are typically case interviews. one interview with hiring manager which was mostly getting to know you type stuff, and opinions on various related industry topics. One with hiring manage's manager (can be director or general manager), depending on if you've been okayed by the majority so far or not. can have a fifth interview as well, but not in all cases.

Interview Questions
    • nothing too out of the blue. as long you are well prepapred for a typicaly marketing interview out of business school.   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate salary a little bit.

Product Manager Interview

Had an on-campus interview. The interviewer was a senior product manager. He was really friendly and easy to get along with. Shortly after, I was flown to Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, all expenses paid. They chose which group they thought would be the best fit for me. Unfortunately, I do not agree with their decision and I think it affected the outcome a lot. I had 6 interviews in one day. The first interviewer was grumpy, but everyone else was really welcoming and informative.

Interview Questions
    • I had a highly technical background so I was surprised when they placed me in a windows third party negotiating product manager role. They asked about negotiating techniques. I tried to answer as best I could, but I didn't have a solid foundation for this question.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

The interview process consists of 5 to 6 individuals interviewing you during the course of a day. Generally, you interview with each person in their office. There is also an "As Appropriate (AA)" interview at the end of the day, if it looks like you may be a hire. The AA will have the final decision on whether you should be hired. You generally will not be told who the AA interviewer will be and it will not show up on your schedule. If it looks like you will not be a hire, then you will not be sent to the AA. At the end of each interview, the interviewer is supposed to write up how the interview went, pros & cons, and whether they give you a "Hire" or "No Hire". Generally, if they have doubts they are supposed to say "No Hire". Since each subsequent interviewer can read the prior interviewer(s) comments, it's important to do well on each interview. There are times when an interviewer will not be sure whether to give you a "Hire" or "No Hire" and will look at earlier interviewers to see their comments/opinions. So a "Hire" or "No Hire" rating can snow ball from the first person you interview through any or all subsequent interviews. Note also the AA may not be the hiring manger, i.e. may not be the person you will be directly working for, so it's important to know who the hiring manager is prior to your interview.

Even though Microsoft is a casual work environment, interviewees are generally expected to dress up, e.g. suit & tie, for the interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you inherited a car wash and surrounding property, would you keep it, sell it, or do something else with the property? What would make the most business sense?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2012.

As a non-technical undergraduate student from a non-target school, I had to reach through my network to get connected to a Recruiter. The recruiting process is broken down as follows:

Overview:
    1. First-Round Phone Interview
    2. Notified About Second Rounds in Redmond, Washington
    3. Dinner Reception (Night Before Interviews)
    4. Interview "Super Day" at MSFT Campus
    5. Results

I. First Round Phone Interview :
    Several generic behavioral questions regarding teamwork, time management, conflict resolution, and explaining a technical concept. The phone interview also included several "Case-like" questions that analyzes the candidate's logic, critical thinking, and analytical abilities. Depending on the division one is applying for, the interviewer will ask you more role-specific questions (a la "How would you market the Xbox differently" if you're going for that team).

II. Second Round Notifications:
    You get a nice email from Microsoft that you'll be flown out to Washington. Great experience! They put you up in a great hotel, get a rental car for you, and take care of all your general food expenses :]

III. Dinner Reception:
    Meet and mingle with newly hired "Microsofties" over some great food. Learn about their experiences and show that you're a sociable and normal person!

IV. Interview "Super Day"
    Your day starts at 7:00am. Four hour-long interview rounds in a row. You get to meet some incredible people that love their jobs! They're really nice and make the interview rounds as pleasant as possible. *Warning* They might throw a stress interviewer to see how you sweat!
    The interview rooms are well-decorated, but are incredibly close in proximity so you can overhear the other interviewers. Pro Tip: Focus on YOU and not your competition :]

V. Results
    They said that we'd hear back "within a week." I flew out on Wednesday, interviewed Thursday, and got my offer by Monday.

Interview Questions
    • "What is a product that you think is marketed well?"   Answer Question
    • "If you were to market 'said' product, how would you do it differently?"   Answer Question
    • "If you were to market the Microsoft brand on-campus, how would you do that?"   Answer Question
    • "How would you calculate the market value of the Segway market in the United States of America?"   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable :[
    Regardless, they made me an amazing offer I couldn't refuse :]