Microsoft Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated 16 Mar, 2015

3.4

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Interview

Had a on-campus interview after meeting at the career info session. In the e-mail, I was told not to specify my interest in any position yet during the first round interview. However, my first question is "Which role are you applying?". The whole process went bad since the guy seemed not very professional. He missed the original 9am appointment and I had to reschedule with the recruiter to 4pm the same day, which put me to the last one instead of the first one. He rushed me through the whole 30 mins and no matter what I say, he was just playing with his finger nails. Later on, I followed up with my recruiter and was told that I will get feedback with both positive or negative result. I never get it.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through my campus' career program, was notified of the interview the week before. Was interviewed by a friendly man who asked basic resume questions as well as one tough product manager question. I then asked him questions that I had at the end. I did not receive a second-round interview which would have required me to fly out to Washington to Microsoft headquarters.

Interview Questions

• Basic resume questions, as well as why I was interested in tech/why Microsoft/why PM. This was followed by a detailed product management question with 3 or 4 follow-up questions, probably totaling around 6-8 minutes. Then I was allowed to ask the interviewer any questions I had.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Was greeted by a flustered looking man. I asked what he did at Microsoft and he started talking for a good ten minutes about how he was a software engineer in video. Interviewer made poor eye contact, and was not friendly at all.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Pretty standard process: first 2 behavior questions, why PM, why MS; then a simple tech questions on data structure; then a question on schedule delay; then a product design problem

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter towards the end of their summer internship period. I was recommended for a full time position by a friend in that program. Describing my skills as broad and focused on logistics and teambuilding, I was told that I would be given a screening interview over the phone. I was told to fill out a questionnaire beforehand. About two weeks later, I was on the phone with a fellow working as a software engineer. I figured something was wrong as soon as he started asking me the same basic information as I had previously filled out on my questionnaire. Soon, it was a full software interview, including opening an online document so that he could see me code. Seeing as I was not marketing myself as a software engineer, and specifically had an interest in working with a hardware group, the questions caught me off guard and I was completely unprepared. The questions were all pretty straightforward coding questions that I could've gotten with my typical coding warm up.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)).

Interview

Was asked to meet in person after the first interview

Interview Questions

• Nothing about the interview was unexpected. I would however recommend to not overstate anything on your resume and be prepared for behavioral questions.   Answer Question

They could not match another offer i received

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

One day of interviews, 5 in all, with an as-appropriate at the end.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a new user interface for a bank application   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in November 2012.

Interview

Long and arduous. Old-fashioned and difficult to understand what people did in their roles - lots of overlap. Getting to interview took years

Interview Questions

• there is a car park - how do you design a system to advise drivers how many spots are free?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not too bad. MSFT offered (at the time) sign on bonus and help with residency. Health care was to notch at that time.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The process is run tight with 4-6 people on the interview loop. Most questions are case questions (similar to consulting)

Interview Questions

• how do you weigh an air plain without using a scale?   1 Answer

Negotiation

very little room for negotiation

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

first round interview at b-school. usual process. one skills interview and one case interview. second round (final round) at microsoft in redmond. typically four to five interviews with the team. two interviews with peers, which are typically case interviews. one interview with hiring manager which was mostly getting to know you type stuff, and opinions on various related industry topics. One with hiring manage's manager (can be director or general manager), depending on if you've been okayed by the majority so far or not. can have a fifth interview as well, but not in all cases.

Interview Questions

• nothing too out of the blue. as long you are well prepapred for a typicaly marketing interview out of business school.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate salary a little bit.