Microsoft

3,416 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I got these questions in my first round of onsite interview.

1. delete all the duplicate numbers in the array.
2. Test the login system of a website and the password security.
3. talk about some of my projects in college.

Interview Question – The first question is the most difficult question in this round.   View Answers (2)

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Interview Details Process is very straight forward. Recruiting Consultant will perform the initial interview via telephone. From there you will be either recommended for a technical interview or will be dropped. In my case I was recommended and had a tech interview that went very bad. The tech interviewer (who was a Principal Consultant) was 15 mins late and did not have any prepared questions. The entire interview was off-the-cuff and very unprofessional. I was not given a chance to move on in the interview process with the Hiring Manager, which is just as well as the entire tech interview process left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Question – Most questions were non-job specific and very poor.   Answer Question

Total Rewards Interview

Total Rewards
Mississauga, ON

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied through the MACH Program the process took a total of four weeks from start to finish.

I was first contacted by the recruiter and we discussed my experience as well as my educational background. From there, I was invited from an in person interview a week and a half later. The interview was interesting: the interviewers kept their phones on the table, they even sent a text message during the interview.

Interview Question – What is the most important benefit an employer can offer a employee?   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

User Experience Researcher

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.

Interview Question – Very difficult   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Applied online multiple times for different internships. A friend of mine who interned and then was hired after graduation forwarded my resume in to recruiters internally. A recruiter reached out to me and said they would be interviewing soon and that I needed to fill out a placement sheet. The sheet asked various, extremely vague questions about what field I would like to be in. There was vague managerial questions like if I preferred to be a designer, a manager, or someone who works entirely with code across 3 fields. The fields were like systems, products, and general or something. It was weird because I still didn't know what I was applying for or what I would be doing. I was told I would be contacted "soon". A month went by and I heard no word. I attempted to email back, but got an out of office message. Another month went by. I asked my friend if I was even being considered anymore. The recruiter reached out to me after he inquired directly, she said they would contact me within the next week. ANOTHER month went by with still no contact. I attempted to inquire another time, and finally, out of the blue, someone called me. The gentleman sounded like he was in a rush to get me off the phone. He asked me why I wanted work with MS, what my interests are, and then went right into 3 riddles. The riddles were really silly and he timed me so short on them. He asked about having a group of marbles, a scale, and how to find the one marble that weighed the most without being able to use the scale more than 2 times. He then asked me about mis-sorted fruit baskets and how I would find certain fruits. I messed this one up, but came close. and when I came close to the answer, he abruptly asked ARE YOU SURE? Threw me off as I was confident in my conclusion, but it sounded so forceful I wasn't sure if I had said something really absurd without noticing. I didn't hear back for another month, in which I just got some automated email saying my application was declined.

Interview Question – Marbles that all have the same appearance, one weighs differently. Use a 2 sided scale to find the smallest marble. Only use the scale 3 times.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)
Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Interview Details Interview in Jan 2014. Phone screen in feb 2014. Two interviews for the phone screen and they were an hour each - dealt with typical algo and data structure questions.

Interview Question – Hardest question was how to sort a linked list using recursion only. I knew the iterative solution but couldn't come up with recursion. Very difficult.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Very interesting process. Many interviews with different departments. They do ask that you explain yourself a lot more than people say they do. I was interviewed by 6 different departments.

Interview Question – Mainly questions relating to data structures and testing them in extreme cases.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II Interview

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Was arranged for 60 minute phone screen with a hiring manager. In phone, asked some generic questions like,
1. What role in your previous company;
2. What skills you have;
3. What are your personal best contributions and how you did;
4. Knowledge tests for c#;
5. Writing tests for coding skills;

Interview Question – Was stuck in coding test, cause misunderstand the questions.   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Program Manager Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details Microsoft was doing a meet and greet with students at my university. I dropped off my application and got an e-mail asking whether I would be interested in an interview about 1-2 weeks after initially dropping off my application. The interview process is two-fold. First is the on-campus interview. They basically asked the university for some rooms in the computer science building for a couple of day so they could interview students. I got interviewed by one of the guys that works in the Visual Studio department. We first started off with why I want to work at Microsoft and which type of products I would be interested working on. Next came the more technical questions (i.e. what programming languages do you know). I mentioned that I was programming in C and C++ at the time (due to doing a course on operating systems). The interviewer than proceeded to ask me to write a function that could spot a palindrome (in C) and also have error detection (i.e. if you input a -1 it returns and error). This part was a bit tricky cause I wasn't used to writing code on paper and I was already nervous which didn't help. But, after initially starting to write, the code started to flow and that part went well. Next, I was asked to design a sort of version control application that coders could use when working on projects. I asked the interviewer questions regarding specs and then just ran with it. I literally did not stop talking about the design until he told me to stop. I honestly think that's what got me through to the second round of interviews. Overall, the experience was really good. I'll be going for the second round of interviews in August.

Interview Question – Design a type of application that would allow coders to talk to each other and work on code together.   Answer Question

Technical Specialist Interview

Technical Specialist
Toronto, ON

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

Interview Details The interview process for my position was split into several smaller interviews taking place both in-person and over a Skype phone call. The one portion of the interview that was extremely stressful was that we were supposed to file a "creative submission" based on a randomly assigned question they gave us. Mine is listed in the "Most Difficult Question" section of this page.

Interview Question – Relate Microsoft's mission statement to your workplace demeanor in a creative submission.   View Answer

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!