Microsoft Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct, 2014
3,562 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

This interview was on a college campus. When the recruiter contacts you, you need to be as quick to reply as possible and also follow up if they dont email you back. Once you do actually get an interview scheduled be on your best game. You will have <25 minutes to tell them about yourself and to also exemplify your coding abilities.

Interview Questions
    • My question had to do with an n-ary tree. The question was quite complex, but it just matters how you do compared to others so don't worry if you didn't come up with a full solution.   Answer Question

Human Resources Clerk Part-Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

It was a phone call first to talk about the position and then called in for an in-person interview two days later. Overall experience, the recruiters were very nice but I was unsure of what the position entitled to do at first so had ask them the question. They were also heavily concerned on the commitment time; minimum 20hrs a week yet on the website it stated 15hrs.

As a student, not sure if it's possible to allocate that much time towards this, but then reassured that they were very accommodating to exams and projects.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were fairly simple and relevant to behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I submitted my resume via an on-campus recruiting event for summer internships (and full time) and got an email to schedule a 30 minute interview within ~2 weeks. The next step is on-site interviews at Seattle.

Interview Questions
    • There was only one technical question: Insert a node, say x, into a sorted circular linked list given only any random node as a parameter.   View Answer

Foundry Interview

Campus Recruitment Application -> Phone Interview -> On-site interview series (4 back to back interviews 45 mins each)
    Initial response after phone interview was very late but decisions were made right after the on-site interviews finished.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I got an email from a recruiter asking to schedule a phone screen 10 days from then. I had apparently submitted my resume to their system awhile back and completely forgot about it, a pleasant surprise!

The phone screen was pretty casual and I noticed that the questions all seemed to be design related. I think I was being interviewed for a PM role but they say you're considered for PM, SDE, and SDET. I fumbled a bit on an "explain such and such to a ___ year old" question but I did really well on the design question. We ran out of time and I thought that I had failed because of that earlier question but the interviewer seemed pretty upbeat. I was told to expect the results within 2-3 weeks.

I waited almost the full 3 weeks before I got an email congratulating me on making it to the final round. I'm still waiting for them to schedule my interview. It's been about a week since I received that email.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you demonstrated your coding abilities.   Answer Question

Lead Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Contacted by a MS recruiter on LinkedIn. Got first screen check call by recruiter in 2 weeks and expressed my interest in Dev Lead position. Took a month to receive phone interview. The interviewer was late for half an hour so was rushed. Nice guy, simple questions for half an hour, used an online tool to test my coding for a simple problem: Swap two by two items in a linked list. Got approval email for on-site interview the day after. Took another 3 weeks to attend on-site interview in Vancouver office. Very early interview starting at 7:30 AM !!! with introduction and then 8 AM first interview. Interviewer was a Software Manager, asked about my background and current company and role. Then a question for a Data Structure for keeping large amount of integers and have Insert, Delete and Median functions with best possible performances. Answered the question with pros and cons for each data structure. Had problem to find the best logic for median. Gave me a clue and could answer the question before end of interview. Second interview did it great like 95% correct, a dev lead same intro question then 2 coding questions answered both perfectly with no help, maybe 1-2 small mistakes for boundary check which I found it easily in review. Finished the interview 5 min earlier even so he said let me ask some web questions now that we have 5 mins left, answered all except one. After second interview the recruiter came to my room and said that the team does not want to interview me more!!! I got shocked! Bad sign since I've read before that if you don't have the 3rd or 4th interview you have not made it likely. I said I applied for a Dev Lead position, but no leadership or management questions yet. Got very much disappointed after 2 weeks of preparation and studying over 500 interviews. I'm very sorry for my interviewers if they really think with that performance and Resume and without asking any leadership or management questions, their time is not worthy to spend more than 2 interviews with me. Got very very DISAPPOINTED because I spent days and hours to prepare for them but they simply ignore me. I think it was not my lucky day. You need to have luck as well as perfect preparation and knowledge to make it through.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I got these questions in my first round of onsite interview.

1. delete all the duplicate numbers in the array.
    2. Test the login system of a website and the password security.
    3. talk about some of my projects in college.

Interview Questions
    • The first question is the most difficult question in this round.   View Answers (2)

Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

One of the their recruiters contacted me on LinkedIn around mid June, after the initial talks had my phone screen 2 weeks after and attended a recruiting event in Vancouver a month after that only duo to my own availability! They HR team accommodated my every need and worked around my schedule!!
    As for the offer it took around a week and then another weeks or so for us to work on my counter offer! After that another week or so of background checks!
    Overall it has been exciting and very efficient process!

Interview Questions
    • Similar to other bigger companies mostly around data structures, designs and solving challenging stuff on the board in an hour slot interviews.   Answer Question
    negotiations were very smooth, I didn't shoot for the moon and neither felt like that my HR contact is working against me. Offers in Vancouver will be less glorious compared to states but that's a reality. As for the competitiveness in local market, I would say it is a generous offer!

User Experience Researcher Interview

Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online multiple times for different internships. A friend of mine who interned and then was hired after graduation forwarded my resume in to recruiters internally. A recruiter reached out to me and said they would be interviewing soon and that I needed to fill out a placement sheet. The sheet asked various, extremely vague questions about what field I would like to be in. There was vague managerial questions like if I preferred to be a designer, a manager, or someone who works entirely with code across 3 fields. The fields were like systems, products, and general or something. It was weird because I still didn't know what I was applying for or what I would be doing. I was told I would be contacted "soon". A month went by and I heard no word. I attempted to email back, but got an out of office message. Another month went by. I asked my friend if I was even being considered anymore. The recruiter reached out to me after he inquired directly, she said they would contact me within the next week. ANOTHER month went by with still no contact. I attempted to inquire another time, and finally, out of the blue, someone called me. The gentleman sounded like he was in a rush to get me off the phone. He asked me why I wanted work with MS, what my interests are, and then went right into 3 riddles. The riddles were really silly and he timed me so short on them. He asked about having a group of marbles, a scale, and how to find the one marble that weighed the most without being able to use the scale more than 2 times. He then asked me about mis-sorted fruit baskets and how I would find certain fruits. I messed this one up, but came close. and when I came close to the answer, he abruptly asked ARE YOU SURE? Threw me off as I was confident in my conclusion, but it sounded so forceful I wasn't sure if I had said something really absurd without noticing. I didn't hear back for another month, in which I just got some automated email saying my application was declined.

Interview Questions
    • Marbles that all have the same appearance, one weighs differently. Use a 2 sided scale to find the smallest marble. Only use the scale 3 times.   Answer Question