Microsoft

3,352 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Interview Details Interview in Jan 2014. Phone screen in feb 2014. Two interviews for the phone screen and they were an hour each - dealt with typical algo and data structure questions.

Interview Question – Hardest question was how to sort a linked list using recursion only. I knew the iterative solution but couldn't come up with recursion. Very difficult.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Very interesting process. Many interviews with different departments. They do ask that you explain yourself a lot more than people say they do. I was interviewed by 6 different departments.

Interview Question – Mainly questions relating to data structures and testing them in extreme cases.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II Interview

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Was arranged for 60 minute phone screen with a hiring manager. In phone, asked some generic questions like,
1. What role in your previous company;
2. What skills you have;
3. What are your personal best contributions and how you did;
4. Knowledge tests for c#;
5. Writing tests for coding skills;

Interview Question – Was stuck in coding test, cause misunderstand the questions.   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Program Manager Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details Microsoft was doing a meet and greet with students at my university. I dropped off my application and got an e-mail asking whether I would be interested in an interview about 1-2 weeks after initially dropping off my application. The interview process is two-fold. First is the on-campus interview. They basically asked the university for some rooms in the computer science building for a couple of day so they could interview students. I got interviewed by one of the guys that works in the Visual Studio department. We first started off with why I want to work at Microsoft and which type of products I would be interested working on. Next came the more technical questions (i.e. what programming languages do you know). I mentioned that I was programming in C and C++ at the time (due to doing a course on operating systems). The interviewer than proceeded to ask me to write a function that could spot a palindrome (in C) and also have error detection (i.e. if you input a -1 it returns and error). This part was a bit tricky cause I wasn't used to writing code on paper and I was already nervous which didn't help. But, after initially starting to write, the code started to flow and that part went well. Next, I was asked to design a sort of version control application that coders could use when working on projects. I asked the interviewer questions regarding specs and then just ran with it. I literally did not stop talking about the design until he told me to stop. I honestly think that's what got me through to the second round of interviews. Overall, the experience was really good. I'll be going for the second round of interviews in August.

Interview Question – Design a type of application that would allow coders to talk to each other and work on code together.   Answer Question

Technical Specialist Interview

Technical Specialist
Toronto, ON

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

Interview Details The interview process for my position was split into several smaller interviews taking place both in-person and over a Skype phone call. The one portion of the interview that was extremely stressful was that we were supposed to file a "creative submission" based on a randomly assigned question they gave us. Mine is listed in the "Most Difficult Question" section of this page.

Interview Question – Relate Microsoft's mission statement to your workplace demeanor in a creative submission.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details The guy who called me wasn't a developer, someone from HR. He was asking questions about my past experience, previous job-related questions, one puzzle and other questions about most used programming languages, my favorite software, what I would like to improve. The puzzle was about nine pieces of marble. They're all equal, except one which is heavier than others. You have balanced weights and you have to find the heaviest one by weighting only twice. I'd encountered this problem before and solved it, so during the interview, I guess I solved too quickly.

Interview Question – The guy was quite likeable and friendly, but it was strange for me that he didn't want to know any particular technical details regarding my experience, so I actually didn't know what to tell him then.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Software Engineer I

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details School career fair. Gave them my resume. They emailed me for a 30 on-campus interview.

Interview Question – -Asked about my prev experience and projects I did, etc. (~5 mins)
-Then the technical question: how do you reverse all the words in a string? i.e. 'the blue dog jumps' becomes 'jumps dog blue the'
  View Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Submitted resume on MS's info session at my university.
Then a on-campus interview round for 45 mins, talking about my background and some basic technical questions.
Followed by a day of on-site interview at Redmond. Four technical interview and one lunch interview. Each takes one hour, except the last one takes two hours. Some technical questions about Test, string, lists, trees, and brain teaser. Not difficult.

Interview Question – The last interviewer asked some network and OS questions, which are unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details First phone interview. interviewer was sick, so he did ask too many questions. Sometimes I experienced long pauses.

Interview Question – Phone interview- What is the best tech product in your mind.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details There were 2 rounds of interview- one on campus and one in Redmond. The campus interview is very basic and the one in Redmond was oriented around design questions of everyday lifes.

Interview Question – Nothing was really unexpected. I think I should have been better prepared though. Make sure you get enough sleep the night before.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!