Microsoft

Updated 30 Jan, 2015
3,894 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

It was a full-day process, I had one person responsible for me whom I'd meet in the morning, at lunch and for the final questions at the end of the day. The rest of the day was spent going from office to office, interviewing with (mostly) developers and project managers, spending an hour with each. The questions were predominantly technical, ranging from puzzlers to pieces of code the interviewer was currently working on.

Interview Questions
    • Domain-specific technical question (which I had no background in) - had to improvise on the spot, and took a number of wrong turns. It was difficult in that it knocked my confidence down for the next couple questions.   Answer Question
    I was able to push the salary a few % higher

Sales Associate Interview

Phone interview and then face to face interview. First I received an email from the national recruiter. She asked me behavioral questions and gave me a few tips. She was very nice. Three days later I had a face to face interview. They asked me a lot of questions about my work history and experience.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

I summited my resume when they came to my university. It takes only `1 week to get the interview. But I have not prepare for anything that time. The question was difficult than those online. I did not perform well. The interviewer seems not help with clarify the question. I need to find the specific functions. If the communication is well, that will be helpful.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

Was contacted by campus recruiter after handing in my resume during an info session. Had an on-campus interview and was asked 1 technical question involving linked list (very simple), and stuff on my resume. A month or so later, I was emailed regarding planning for my trip to Redmond for the final round of interviews. Great experience, had 4 interviews in Redmond. The interview problems were very basic, involving first year data structures and algorithms. Was contacted about offer about 1 week later.

Interview Questions
    • Develop a function to draw a n-ary tree, with each set of subtrees being centered on its root, recursively.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

This review is for the phone screening.
    Lots of behavioral questions and a few critical thinking/design questions. Interview was not technical.
    Contrary to what is often assumed, interviewer may not give hints -- as in my case. I didn't need any hints since I actively worked through each question even if I took a slight wrong turn somewhere, but at not point did my interviewer jump in with a nudge. Prepare to have someone only listen to you and type all of your answers up (one of the followup questions my interviewer gave me required him to read out my previous answer almost completely, word by word).

Prepare to be cut off, especially for the long design question at the end. It's a short interview overall, so try to wrap it up yourself as best you can so you're not cut off at an important spot. In my case, my interviewer cut me off at a natural pause spot in my answer and told me that my answer was very thorough and complete -- this feedback was nice to receive and I think It contributed to getting me through to the final round. If this happens to you, it's a very good sign.

Interview Questions
    Offer was to be put through to the final round (fly-in interview in Redmond)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Applied through Campus career fair, got email from HR to schedule on campus interview in a few weeks, first round interview on campus/I had a fair negative experience interviewing at Microsoft, the first time the interviewer didn't show up and missed all the candidate interviews in the morning ( There were about 8 of us) and the second time since I got another offer I emailed the HR asking if I could get my feedback from the interview and they simply informed me that there was no record of my interview feedback. This is pretty disappointing and I don't think it leaves me a very good impression about Microsoft.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer works in the big data team, when I described my past experiences he asked some big data related questions to my work   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

So far I have had 1 interview, still waiting on the outcome. If first interview goes well you go to the second round.

The interviewer was friendly and helped me in some places. A good tip is if they give you hints they probably want you to succeed. So don't let his/her helps go in vain.

Interview Questions
    • Find a number in a 2d array, if found give its coordinates.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Applied during a university career fair. Asked two questions: why Microsoft, why PM, and briefly discussed about a project on my resume.

Round 1: had a 20 min interview on university campus. 10 minute resume overview, then 10 min technical (pseudo-programming) question.

Round 2: after a month of delays because my email had been incorrectly entered in their system, I was flown in to Redmond for the last stage (1h interviews)
    First interview was with a PM managing code shipment, during which we discussed my projects, and she asked me how I would improve an app (web/mobile) I liked.
    Second interview was with a tech PM who asked me what part of the tech stack I'd prefer to work on, and asked me to design an algorithm that optimizes CPU performance.
    Third interview was 1h30 (including lunch). After sharing personal life experiences over lunch we went over another project listed on my resume.
    Fourth: interviewed with a senior PM. She asked me several design related question. 1 how would you go about demolishing a building on Microsoft's campus, 2. what product would you invent, and how would you use it, 3. what would you improve in airports user experience.

Interview Questions
    • If you could invent anything, what would it be? (unexpected). How would you improve UX in airports? (I had very little time to come up with my answer)   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Had an on campus interview with a Senior Engineer at Microsoft. I first asked to tell them about myself. Then, the interviewer asked some questions about my resume experience, including what my biggest challenges were and where I would go to find solutions to problems that came up during the development process.

I was asked two technical questions. The first was to write a program to find the maximum height of a tree. The second was to write a program to print a tree in reverse order (i.e. the opposite of in-order traversal)

Interview Questions
    • The reverse in-order traversal stumped me slightly; my solution was to do an in-order traversal, adding elements to a FIFO stack. Then after the traversal, pop off the elements of the stack.   View Answer

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Submitted my resume during a University Career Fair. Was interviewed two weeks later. The interview was relaxed though it felt like an add campaign for microsoft products. .Net, C#, Visual Studio. Been a Linux user this was a bit uncomfortable for me, but over all the interview was good, though I left not really sure if the interviewer had even looked at my resume, so didn't really understand what type of programming i did.

Interview Questions
    • Given the tuples (Ai, Bi) where Ai < Bi fill out a number line that represents Bi - Ai for all tuples.   Answer Question