Microsoft Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
3,462 Interview Reviews

3.3

Foundry Interview

Campus Recruitment Application -> Phone Interview -> On-site interview series (4 back to back interviews 45 mins each)
    Initial response after phone interview was very late but decisions were made right after the on-site interviews finished.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2010.

Initial Phone Screening with HR, followed by a technical phone screening
    1) HR - general background checking
    2) Phone Screen #1 - 20-30 mins - Introductions - Implement a binary tree using linked list - list all the test cases

On site interviews 3 rounds and then i got asked to leave
    1) Implement a Sudoku application (check if the sudoku is solved)
    2) Design a phone book
    3) Given an array, locate where the break points are

In retrospect, one should ask a lot of questions before attempting to solve the questions. They kinda expected you ask a lot of questions too

Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

One of the their recruiters contacted me on LinkedIn around mid June, after the initial talks had my phone screen 2 weeks after and attended a recruiting event in Vancouver a month after that only duo to my own availability! They HR team accommodated my every need and worked around my schedule!!
    As for the offer it took around a week and then another weeks or so for us to work on my counter offer! After that another week or so of background checks!
    Overall it has been exciting and very efficient process!

Interview Questions
    • Similar to other bigger companies mostly around data structures, designs and solving challenging stuff on the board in an hour slot interviews.   Answer Question
    negotiations were very smooth, I didn't shoot for the moon and neither felt like that my HR contact is working against me. Offers in Vancouver will be less glorious compared to states but that's a reality. As for the competitiveness in local market, I would say it is a generous offer!

Lead Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Contacted by a MS recruiter on LinkedIn. Got first screen check call by recruiter in 2 weeks and expressed my interest in Dev Lead position. Took a month to receive phone interview. The interviewer was late for half an hour so was rushed. Nice guy, simple questions for half an hour, used an online tool to test my coding for a simple problem: Swap two by two items in a linked list. Got approval email for on-site interview the day after. Took another 3 weeks to attend on-site interview in Vancouver office. Very early interview starting at 7:30 AM !!! with introduction and then 8 AM first interview. Interviewer was a Software Manager, asked about my background and current company and role. Then a question for a Data Structure for keeping large amount of integers and have Insert, Delete and Median functions with best possible performances. Answered the question with pros and cons for each data structure. Had problem to find the best logic for median. Gave me a clue and could answer the question before end of interview. Second interview did it great like 95% correct, a dev lead same intro question then 2 coding questions answered both perfectly with no help, maybe 1-2 small mistakes for boundary check which I found it easily in review. Finished the interview 5 min earlier even so he said let me ask some web questions now that we have 5 mins left, answered all except one. After second interview the recruiter came to my room and said that the team does not want to interview me more!!! I got shocked! Bad sign since I've read before that if you don't have the 3rd or 4th interview you have not made it likely. I said I applied for a Dev Lead position, but no leadership or management questions yet. Got very much disappointed after 2 weeks of preparation and studying over 500 interviews. I'm very sorry for my interviewers if they really think with that performance and Resume and without asking any leadership or management questions, their time is not worthy to spend more than 2 interviews with me. Got very very DISAPPOINTED because I spent days and hours to prepare for them but they simply ignore me. I think it was not my lucky day. You need to have luck as well as perfect preparation and knowledge to make it through.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

I got these questions in my first round of onsite interview.

1. delete all the duplicate numbers in the array.
    2. Test the login system of a website and the password security.
    3. talk about some of my projects in college.

Interview Questions
    • The first question is the most difficult question in this round.   View Answers (2)

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Process is very straight forward. Recruiting Consultant will perform the initial interview via telephone. From there you will be either recommended for a technical interview or will be dropped. In my case I was recommended and had a tech interview that went very bad. The tech interviewer (who was a Principal Consultant) was 15 mins late and did not have any prepared questions. The entire interview was off-the-cuff and very unprofessional. I was not given a chance to move on in the interview process with the Hiring Manager, which is just as well as the entire tech interview process left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Total Rewards Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mississauga, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2014.

I applied through the MACH Program the process took a total of four weeks from start to finish.

I was first contacted by the recruiter and we discussed my experience as well as my educational background. From there, I was invited from an in person interview a week and a half later. The interview was interesting: the interviewers kept their phones on the table, they even sent a text message during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important benefit an employer can offer a employee?   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.Only had a phone interview and didn't proceed after that. It was a teaser question. So I assumed i didn't make it.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online multiple times for different internships. A friend of mine who interned and then was hired after graduation forwarded my resume in to recruiters internally. A recruiter reached out to me and said they would be interviewing soon and that I needed to fill out a placement sheet. The sheet asked various, extremely vague questions about what field I would like to be in. There was vague managerial questions like if I preferred to be a designer, a manager, or someone who works entirely with code across 3 fields. The fields were like systems, products, and general or something. It was weird because I still didn't know what I was applying for or what I would be doing. I was told I would be contacted "soon". A month went by and I heard no word. I attempted to email back, but got an out of office message. Another month went by. I asked my friend if I was even being considered anymore. The recruiter reached out to me after he inquired directly, she said they would contact me within the next week. ANOTHER month went by with still no contact. I attempted to inquire another time, and finally, out of the blue, someone called me. The gentleman sounded like he was in a rush to get me off the phone. He asked me why I wanted work with MS, what my interests are, and then went right into 3 riddles. The riddles were really silly and he timed me so short on them. He asked about having a group of marbles, a scale, and how to find the one marble that weighed the most without being able to use the scale more than 2 times. He then asked me about mis-sorted fruit baskets and how I would find certain fruits. I messed this one up, but came close. and when I came close to the answer, he abruptly asked ARE YOU SURE? Threw me off as I was confident in my conclusion, but it sounded so forceful I wasn't sure if I had said something really absurd without noticing. I didn't hear back for another month, in which I just got some automated email saying my application was declined.

Interview Questions
    • Marbles that all have the same appearance, one weighs differently. Use a 2 sided scale to find the smallest marble. Only use the scale 3 times.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Interview in Jan 2014. Phone screen in feb 2014. Two interviews for the phone screen and they were an hour each - dealt with typical algo and data structure questions.

Interview Questions
    • Hardest question was how to sort a linked list using recursion only. I knew the iterative solution but couldn't come up with recursion. Very difficult.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!