Microsoft

Updated 22 Jan, 2015

3.1

206 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

This review is for the phone screening.
Lots of behavioral questions and a few critical thinking/design questions. Interview was not technical.
Contrary to what is often assumed, interviewer may not give hints -- as in my case. I didn't need any hints since I actively worked through each question even if I took a slight wrong turn somewhere, but at not point did my interviewer jump in with a nudge. Prepare to have someone only listen to you and type all of your answers up (one of the followup questions my interviewer gave me required him to read out my previous answer almost completely, word by word).

Prepare to be cut off, especially for the long design question at the end. It's a short interview overall, so try to wrap it up yourself as best you can so you're not cut off at an important spot. In my case, my interviewer cut me off at a natural pause spot in my answer and told me that my answer was very thorough and complete -- this feedback was nice to receive and I think It contributed to getting me through to the final round. If this happens to you, it's a very good sign.

Interview Questions
Offer was to be put through to the final round (fly-in interview in Redmond)

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I got an email from a recruiter asking to schedule a phone screen 10 days from then. I had apparently submitted my resume to their system awhile back and completely forgot about it, a pleasant surprise!

The phone screen was pretty casual and I noticed that the questions all seemed to be design related. I think I was being interviewed for a PM role but they say you're considered for PM, SDE, and SDET. I fumbled a bit on an "explain such and such to a ___ year old" question but I did really well on the design question. We ran out of time and I thought that I had failed because of that earlier question but the interviewer seemed pretty upbeat. I was told to expect the results within 2-3 weeks.

I waited almost the full 3 weeks before I got an email congratulating me on making it to the final round. I'm still waiting for them to schedule my interview. It's been about a week since I received that email.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you demonstrated your coding abilities.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online multiple times for different internships. A friend of mine who interned and then was hired after graduation forwarded my resume in to recruiters internally. A recruiter reached out to me and said they would be interviewing soon and that I needed to fill out a placement sheet. The sheet asked various, extremely vague questions about what field I would like to be in. There was vague managerial questions like if I preferred to be a designer, a manager, or someone who works entirely with code across 3 fields. The fields were like systems, products, and general or something. It was weird because I still didn't know what I was applying for or what I would be doing. I was told I would be contacted "soon". A month went by and I heard no word. I attempted to email back, but got an out of office message. Another month went by. I asked my friend if I was even being considered anymore. The recruiter reached out to me after he inquired directly, she said they would contact me within the next week. ANOTHER month went by with still no contact. I attempted to inquire another time, and finally, out of the blue, someone called me. The gentleman sounded like he was in a rush to get me off the phone. He asked me why I wanted work with MS, what my interests are, and then went right into 3 riddles. The riddles were really silly and he timed me so short on them. He asked about having a group of marbles, a scale, and how to find the one marble that weighed the most without being able to use the scale more than 2 times. He then asked me about mis-sorted fruit baskets and how I would find certain fruits. I messed this one up, but came close. and when I came close to the answer, he abruptly asked ARE YOU SURE? Threw me off as I was confident in my conclusion, but it sounded so forceful I wasn't sure if I had said something really absurd without noticing. I didn't hear back for another month, in which I just got some automated email saying my application was declined.

Interview Questions
    • Marbles that all have the same appearance, one weighs differently. Use a 2 sided scale to find the smallest marble. Only use the scale 3 times.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

I have applied online. They contacted me after two weeks and told me they will contact me for interview. After around 2 months they contacted me and asked to attend in campus interview. The first round was held in my university. The interviewer was an engineer came from Seattle. It took 30 minutes. He asked me some typical programming questions and asked me to explain my resume. After around 5 days I got an acceptance email. They asked me to travel to Redmond for the final round interview. Due to delay in my Visa I went to Vancouver office for the interview. It were 4 rounds interviews. They were purely technical. They asked lots of questions in details. You need to write the program on the white board. They payed all expenses such as flight and accommodation. After several days the recruiter contacted me and gave me the offer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were so difficult and they asked in details. So you need to be well prepared.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

I was invited to the first interview on campus. It was about 45 minutes long and included a coding on a piece of paper, testing question and a design question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2009.

Got an interview through my school's internship program. The hiring manager and current intern interviewed me. They tend to ask some challenging questions, you definitely want to think about your answers. You will definitely want to do your research on the company and culture before the interview, since there are many divisions to the company. The culture is laid back, yet professional, and the people are very intelligent and friendly. Know why you want to work for Microsoft and that your career aspirations are/what you look for in a job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a heavy workload. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Have you worked with someone you didn't like? If so, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • If Microsoft were to select a new location for another office, how would you plan that?   Answer Question
    • Think of a friend, co-worker, and colleague. How would they describe you?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Referred by a friend. Then received an phone interview invitation from an engineer. The interview was fine. Coding problems like two-sum, possible paths from top-left corner to bottom-right corner, etc. Some basic machine learning questions.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

There was a programming round and two programming questions were there. Then technical and hr round.In techical round the person asked a programming question and everything in resume.He asked some questions in java (very basics) and then asked about new technologies.

Intern Interview

I gave my resume to recruiters at a career fair and received an email a couple weeks later for an in person interview. They asked me a couple questions based on my resume as well as a few design questions. I thought the interview went well. However, I did not advance in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design an alarm clock for a blind person?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Applied at my university career fair. Got an on campus interview call in a week. The interviewer asked 2 technical coding questions and was not concerned with the syntax of the code. Focus more on logic and efficiency.

Interview Questions
    • Gave me a solution to a question and asked if its possible .
      Solution was is it possible to find if two strings anagrams by doing xor operation between them ?

View Answer