Microsoft Intern Interview Questions

3.1

169 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I got an email from a recruiter asking to schedule a phone screen 10 days from then. I had apparently submitted my resume to their system awhile back and completely forgot about it, a pleasant surprise!

The phone screen was pretty casual and I noticed that the questions all seemed to be design related. I think I was being interviewed for a PM role but they say you're considered for PM, SDE, and SDET. I fumbled a bit on an "explain such and such to a ___ year old" question but I did really well on the design question. We ran out of time and I thought that I had failed because of that earlier question but the interviewer seemed pretty upbeat. I was told to expect the results within 2-3 weeks.

I waited almost the full 3 weeks before I got an email congratulating me on making it to the final round. I'm still waiting for them to schedule my interview. It's been about a week since I received that email.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time where you demonstrated your coding abilities.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online multiple times for different internships. A friend of mine who interned and then was hired after graduation forwarded my resume in to recruiters internally. A recruiter reached out to me and said they would be interviewing soon and that I needed to fill out a placement sheet. The sheet asked various, extremely vague questions about what field I would like to be in. There was vague managerial questions like if I preferred to be a designer, a manager, or someone who works entirely with code across 3 fields. The fields were like systems, products, and general or something. It was weird because I still didn't know what I was applying for or what I would be doing. I was told I would be contacted "soon". A month went by and I heard no word. I attempted to email back, but got an out of office message. Another month went by. I asked my friend if I was even being considered anymore. The recruiter reached out to me after he inquired directly, she said they would contact me within the next week. ANOTHER month went by with still no contact. I attempted to inquire another time, and finally, out of the blue, someone called me. The gentleman sounded like he was in a rush to get me off the phone. He asked me why I wanted work with MS, what my interests are, and then went right into 3 riddles. The riddles were really silly and he timed me so short on them. He asked about having a group of marbles, a scale, and how to find the one marble that weighed the most without being able to use the scale more than 2 times. He then asked me about mis-sorted fruit baskets and how I would find certain fruits. I messed this one up, but came close. and when I came close to the answer, he abruptly asked ARE YOU SURE? Threw me off as I was confident in my conclusion, but it sounded so forceful I wasn't sure if I had said something really absurd without noticing. I didn't hear back for another month, in which I just got some automated email saying my application was declined.

Interview Questions
    • Marbles that all have the same appearance, one weighs differently. Use a 2 sided scale to find the smallest marble. Only use the scale 3 times.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

I was invited to the first interview on campus. It was about 45 minutes long and included a coding on a piece of paper, testing question and a design question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2009.

Got an interview through my school's internship program. The hiring manager and current intern interviewed me. They tend to ask some challenging questions, you definitely want to think about your answers. You will definitely want to do your research on the company and culture before the interview, since there are many divisions to the company. The culture is laid back, yet professional, and the people are very intelligent and friendly. Know why you want to work for Microsoft and that your career aspirations are/what you look for in a job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a heavy workload. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Have you worked with someone you didn't like? If so, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • If Microsoft were to select a new location for another office, how would you plan that?   Answer Question
    • Think of a friend, co-worker, and colleague. How would they describe you?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Got selected for an interview with Microsoft through a career fair in college. The interview was held in my college's campus and it lasted for 30 mins. It was A technical round. No behavioral questions asked. I was asked about my previous job experience only. No other behavioral questions asked. The interviewer was pretty cool and was helpful. While solving the problem, when I was stuck, the interviewer gave me certain hints and clues to get to the solution. It was more like a discussion.

Interview Questions
    • For a given anagram find the longest palindrome in it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Copenhagen (Denmark)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Copenhagen (Denmark)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

On-campus interview followed up by an on-site interview. The on-campus was ok. I was asked some questions about linked-list and some algorithms to manipulate them. The on-site interview had been ok until one guy asked my hard-core questions about C/C++ (the malloc function). I guessed that was the reason that I did not pass. The next guy asked me to design the battleship game and he obviously seemed to be in a hurry so that I knew that I wouldn't get to no where at that moment.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview for an SDE internship. The process of getting contacted to schedule the interview to actually having the phone interview took about three weeks.

The interview was approximately 30 minutes and I was asked a variety of questions such as "What is your favorite Microsoft product and what is one thing you would do to improve it?" and "What is the difference between a thread and a process?"

I have to admit that I was caught off guard by a what was essentially a "Knights and Knaves" like question. If you're unfamiliar with those types of problems, I would recommend that you look over them briefly before an interview with them.

Other than that, the interview seemed very standard with the typical questions about my resume.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I was contacted via email and invited to an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes long. I was given two programming questions, one related to graphs and the other related to a subarray sum problem. After a few days, I was contacted for second round interviews in Boston, all expenses paid, to be interviewed at the Microsoft Research Building. I had 4 45 minute interviews in the morning, and received an internship offer within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Given a hashmap of abbreviations to a list of what the abbreviations stand for, write a program to guess new abbreviations' expanded forms (even though each letter could stand for many things) based on the mutual probabilities of the words being together in the existing abbreviation database.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Phone Interview and On site interview. Initially an aptitude test online, then the phone which moved to an onsite interview. The asked the general data structures and oop questions. They threw some curveballs as well. My mistakes came down to not asking questions about their problem. ASK QUESTIONS! They will reveal more that way, it will transform problems.

Interview Questions
    • Design of an online banking application (expected to troubleshoot possible problems)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Got an interview opportunity from career fair on campus and the interview was also held on campus. There were two questions. Both were pretty straightforward and the interviewer was very patient in explaining all the questions I had. My first code missed out a lot of corner cases. The interviewer was nice enough to point those out for me. I was able to correct them afterwards but still no luck for the next round.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to return words in a string.   View Answer