Microsoft

3.1

186 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I got an email from a recruiter asking to schedule a phone screen 10 days from then. I had apparently submitted my resume to their system awhile back and completely forgot about it, a pleasant surprise!

The phone screen was pretty casual and I noticed that the questions all seemed to be design related. I think I was being interviewed for a PM role but they say you're considered for PM, SDE, and SDET. I fumbled a bit on an "explain such and such to a ___ year old" question but I did really well on the design question. We ran out of time and I thought that I had failed because of that earlier question but the interviewer seemed pretty upbeat. I was told to expect the results within 2-3 weeks.

I waited almost the full 3 weeks before I got an email congratulating me on making it to the final round. I'm still waiting for them to schedule my interview. It's been about a week since I received that email.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time where you demonstrated your coding abilities.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online multiple times for different internships. A friend of mine who interned and then was hired after graduation forwarded my resume in to recruiters internally. A recruiter reached out to me and said they would be interviewing soon and that I needed to fill out a placement sheet. The sheet asked various, extremely vague questions about what field I would like to be in. There was vague managerial questions like if I preferred to be a designer, a manager, or someone who works entirely with code across 3 fields. The fields were like systems, products, and general or something. It was weird because I still didn't know what I was applying for or what I would be doing. I was told I would be contacted "soon". A month went by and I heard no word. I attempted to email back, but got an out of office message. Another month went by. I asked my friend if I was even being considered anymore. The recruiter reached out to me after he inquired directly, she said they would contact me within the next week. ANOTHER month went by with still no contact. I attempted to inquire another time, and finally, out of the blue, someone called me. The gentleman sounded like he was in a rush to get me off the phone. He asked me why I wanted work with MS, what my interests are, and then went right into 3 riddles. The riddles were really silly and he timed me so short on them. He asked about having a group of marbles, a scale, and how to find the one marble that weighed the most without being able to use the scale more than 2 times. He then asked me about mis-sorted fruit baskets and how I would find certain fruits. I messed this one up, but came close. and when I came close to the answer, he abruptly asked ARE YOU SURE? Threw me off as I was confident in my conclusion, but it sounded so forceful I wasn't sure if I had said something really absurd without noticing. I didn't hear back for another month, in which I just got some automated email saying my application was declined.

Interview Questions
    • Marbles that all have the same appearance, one weighs differently. Use a 2 sided scale to find the smallest marble. Only use the scale 3 times.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

I was invited to the first interview on campus. It was about 45 minutes long and included a coding on a piece of paper, testing question and a design question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2009.

Got an interview through my school's internship program. The hiring manager and current intern interviewed me. They tend to ask some challenging questions, you definitely want to think about your answers. You will definitely want to do your research on the company and culture before the interview, since there are many divisions to the company. The culture is laid back, yet professional, and the people are very intelligent and friendly. Know why you want to work for Microsoft and that your career aspirations are/what you look for in a job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a heavy workload. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Have you worked with someone you didn't like? If so, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • If Microsoft were to select a new location for another office, how would you plan that?   Answer Question
    • Think of a friend, co-worker, and colleague. How would they describe you?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

Met college recruiter at schools job fair. Talk about how I got interested into Computer Science which got me an interview. The recruiter was very nice and actually cared about my story and generally wanted to hear it.

At the interview, I got a lot of help from the interviewer on the questions but I was just too nervous to think straight and was still a beginner at CS. Could have passed the interview if just brushed up on basics.

Interview Questions
    • Two behavioral questions.
      Describe about a recent software application you used and how would you improve it.

If Microsoft got into the soda vending machine business, how would come up with a paradigm shift for it?

Tech question:
      Given an array of customer ids, find out if a costumer called more than once. No data structures, other than arrays.
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

Dropped off my resume at their desk when they stopped my university, received an email a couple of days afterwards to have an interview when they come back to my school two weeks later. The process was nice, actually. My interviewer was very professional, not awkward at all, and was very easy to have a conversation with.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse a string in place. Not the simple string reverse() STL function, but turn the string "My dog jumps over the fence" into "Fence the over jumps dog my".   View Answers (3)

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

From the time I gave my resume to when I got my offer, it took about 2 months.

1) Microsoft was at my school lobby and I dropped off my resume.
    2) About 3-4 weeks later I was invited to a 30-min interview on my University's campus. The interview was easy. First part was to describe a hard project or bug I worked on, and the second part was to code on the white board. Coding question was: Given a string and two chars, find the minimum distance between those two characters in the string.
    3) Since I had another offer which had a near deadline, Microsoft got back to me quickly within a week. I was invited to their Redmond campus for 3 45-min interviews. I did badly in the first question and didn't get to finish my code, did great on the second, and average on the third.

The entire interview process went smoothly and traveling to Redmond was great since everything was paid for and organized really well. I got my interview results in an email when I got back to my hotel after the interview day.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary tree, where each node has a third reference which is not yet initialized, go through the tree and point the third reference to the rightmost tree node on the same level. If there are no other nodes to its right, point it to null.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Offered a phone interview through university. Interviewer was nice, asked a lot of questions about my personal projects. Asked 3 unusual/unexpected questions: "How would you explain recursion to a child?", "How would you test a vending machine?" and "If you have 9 marbles and one of them is heavier than the rest, how do you find the heaviest one using a scale only twice?"

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I was noticed for an interview one week after the career fair where I gave them my resume. The interview was held in campus and lasted for 40 min. The interviewer was an engineer, and he asked some experiences described in my resume, which took about 20 min. After that, I was given two coding questions, one was how to delete a LinkedList node, given the access to the node. The second one was to reverse a string without using additional strings.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about how to retrieve memory used in the program.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Met with a recruiter during an on campus career day and dropped off my resume. Got contacted about a week later for an on-campus interview. The interview was a short, about ~45 minutes with the first 20 minutes going over my resume, experiences, and other behavioral questions. The last part was a single technical question and going over my solution. The question will be very very easy if you know your stuff or just read CTCI. After that interview I got flown out to Seattle and interviewed at the Bellevue Bing Office. It was a entire day of interviews, I had 4 including a lunch interview. Two interviews were very similar to the first, but with harder technical questions. Two interviews were purely behavioral. Heard back about a week and a half later (mine was quicker than what others may have experienced since I had other offers on the table already).