Microsoft

Getting the Interview

143 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

Interview Details I was invited to the first interview on campus. It was about 45 minutes long and included a coding on a piece of paper, testing question and a design question.

Interview Question – Design a parking lot.   Answer Question

Mississauga, ON

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2009.

Interview Details Got an interview through my school's internship program. The hiring manager and current intern interviewed me. They tend to ask some challenging questions, you definitely want to think about your answers. You will definitely want to do your research on the company and culture before the interview, since there are many divisions to the company. The culture is laid back, yet professional, and the people are very intelligent and friendly. Know why you want to work for Microsoft and that your career aspirations are/what you look for in a job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a heavy workload. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • Have you worked with someone you didn't like? If so, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • If Microsoft were to select a new location for another office, how would you plan that?   Answer Question
  • Think of a friend, co-worker, and colleague. How would they describe you?   Answer Question

Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2012.

Interview Details Coding test, and then interview with Skype. In the interview, I was asked to explain what I have done before and am doing now, which programming languages I am using, what research topics I am interested in, what kind of project I would like to commit, whether I would like to submit a paper to a conference or contribute some products.

Interview Question – Explain my paper which is my previous major (not directly related to my current major).   View Answer

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details Everyone was very friendly. Was introduced to the culture at every break.

Interview Question – Given the root of a tree where each node has a string but no parent pointer, output each level of the tree on a separate line. Tree may not be balanced. Expected runtime: O(n).   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Submitted my resume through my school's career center. Contacted a couple weeks later to schedule a phone interview. Couldn't understand the interviewer. Was notified via email a few weeks later that I was not selected for the final round in Seattle.

Interview Question – Tell me about a challenging project you have completed   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details There were 5 rounds of assessment and I partook in 4. 1 CV check, 1 assessment centre and 3 rounds of interview. It was not that difficult but you are required to have good understanding and business sense. All the assessors were supporive, but other staff that were present at the office could come across as distant/ intimidating.

Interview Question – There are questions regarding leadership and soft skills with HR. As you go further, more business-related issues are brought up.   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Interview Details Passed the first round on campus. Then they flew me to Bellevue, WA for on-site. 4 interviews back to back. Both behavioral and technical questions were asked. The recruiter told us the result right after the interview

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, just open technical questions that require a clear thinking process   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I spoke on the phone first, then went to the Foundry for an interview

Interview Question – Given a string, say the most repeated letter in the string   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details After submitting my resume at a career fair, I was contacted in three weeks for an on campus interview. As expected, the communication, and follow up was organized and professional. They asked me to specify what particular field interested me the most, and to establish an online profile. The interview was primarily technical.

Interview Question – Calculate the number of ancestors in a DAG.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Interview Details Great people

Interview Question – Asked how to code a program that draws a circle given a radius   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Intern interview questions and advice. All 143 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.