Microsoft

Updated 24 Feb, 2015
Updated 24 Feb, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

First I was asked about my past projects and the associated experiences. They specifically wanted to know how I overcame a situation in which I got behind on my project. They also asked about what I would have done differently had I known what I know now. Then they asked a simple programming question.

Interview Questions
  • Given an array of n consecutive numbers from m, not necessarily in order, there is one number that is omitted. Write the code that would return that missing number.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

I submitted my resume with a recruiter at an on-campus hiring event and was contacted with an invitation to on-campus interviews about a month and a half later. The on campus interview was fairly tough and very technical with a very intimidating guy who didn't seem very interested in the work I had done, but turned out to be very pleasant to interview with.

Didn't hear back for another month until I was contacted with details for a final round interview in Vancouver in January. This was probably the toughest interview I've experienced so far, I was asked questions about data structures and algorithms individually by 3 different engineers for 45 minutes each. The questions were tough and I had a difficult time reading my interviewers, but overall it was definitely a very rewarding experience.

Interview Questions
    • Print out the values of a balanced binary tree starting from the lower right and moving horizontally then upwards.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

This review is for the phone screening.
    Lots of behavioral questions and a few critical thinking/design questions. Interview was not technical.
    Contrary to what is often assumed, interviewer may not give hints -- as in my case. I didn't need any hints since I actively worked through each question even if I took a slight wrong turn somewhere, but at not point did my interviewer jump in with a nudge. Prepare to have someone only listen to you and type all of your answers up (one of the followup questions my interviewer gave me required him to read out my previous answer almost completely, word by word).

Prepare to be cut off, especially for the long design question at the end. It's a short interview overall, so try to wrap it up yourself as best you can so you're not cut off at an important spot. In my case, my interviewer cut me off at a natural pause spot in my answer and told me that my answer was very thorough and complete -- this feedback was nice to receive and I think It contributed to getting me through to the final round. If this happens to you, it's a very good sign.

Interview Questions
    Offer was to be put through to the final round (fly-in interview in Redmond)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I got an email from a recruiter asking to schedule a phone screen 10 days from then. I had apparently submitted my resume to their system awhile back and completely forgot about it, a pleasant surprise!

The phone screen was pretty casual and I noticed that the questions all seemed to be design related. I think I was being interviewed for a PM role but they say you're considered for PM, SDE, and SDET. I fumbled a bit on an "explain such and such to a ___ year old" question but I did really well on the design question. We ran out of time and I thought that I had failed because of that earlier question but the interviewer seemed pretty upbeat. I was told to expect the results within 2-3 weeks.

I waited almost the full 3 weeks before I got an email congratulating me on making it to the final round. I'm still waiting for them to schedule my interview. It's been about a week since I received that email.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you demonstrated your coding abilities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

I have applied online. They contacted me after two weeks and told me they will contact me for interview. After around 2 months they contacted me and asked to attend in campus interview. The first round was held in my university. The interviewer was an engineer came from Seattle. It took 30 minutes. He asked me some typical programming questions and asked me to explain my resume. After around 5 days I got an acceptance email. They asked me to travel to Redmond for the final round interview. Due to delay in my Visa I went to Vancouver office for the interview. It were 4 rounds interviews. They were purely technical. They asked lots of questions in details. You need to write the program on the white board. They payed all expenses such as flight and accommodation. After several days the recruiter contacted me and gave me the offer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were so difficult and they asked in details. So you need to be well prepared.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

I was invited to the first interview on campus. It was about 45 minutes long and included a coding on a piece of paper, testing question and a design question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2009.

Got an interview through my school's internship program. The hiring manager and current intern interviewed me. They tend to ask some challenging questions, you definitely want to think about your answers. You will definitely want to do your research on the company and culture before the interview, since there are many divisions to the company. The culture is laid back, yet professional, and the people are very intelligent and friendly. Know why you want to work for Microsoft and that your career aspirations are/what you look for in a job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a heavy workload. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Have you worked with someone you didn't like? If so, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • If Microsoft were to select a new location for another office, how would you plan that?   Answer Question
    • Think of a friend, co-worker, and colleague. How would they describe you?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Did not make it to the actual on-site interview. But I had an interview on campus where they asked situation questions such as like "when was a time..." Then usually technical questions following. Interview takes about 30 minutes.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

I have applied in November. The first round interview is in February, I have received email one week before the interview. It is a group interview and all are university students.

Intern Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Microsoft.

Terrible, seemed like she did not want to be there. The questions were hard for saying no experience needed and she was not very engaging. Overall after the interview the culture of the company was not a fit for me. Great company just not for me.