Microsoft Hardware Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 16 Sep, 2014

3.3

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Hardware Engineer Interview

The process is very simple. By the way, this interview is in school. It should take around 30 minutes, but for me it took only around 20 minutes. It is very straight forward. Three questions are waiting for you. From the point view of today, the questions are quite simple. All about transistors and gates.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interviewed on campus

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Got an on-campus interview by submitting resume through campus job fair. Interview last for 30mins. Questions including: RC circuits, high-pass low-pass, ideal opamp gain. build latch with NAND gates.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Travel was paid for and very easy to schedule. Interview consisted of 3-4 one on one interviews with people from different teams within the division. Asked mainly technical questions, testing questions and software questions. I don't remember being asked any behavioral questions.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

It takes a long time for recruiters to get back to interviewers. I took 5 weeks before they told me they hired someone else.

Also, be ready to talk pretty much all day and not really get to eat lunch. I was pretty exhausted by the time 6PM rolled around, and I'd started at 10AM. Also, be very prepared to answer questions about your school projects.

Interview Questions
    • A single-elimination tennis tournament has n teams. How many games will be played before there is a winner?   View Answers (3)

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

From University Career fair, I invited to interview at my school

Interview Questions
    • They gave me a RC circuit, and ask me to find rise and fall time.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

I first had an interview on campus for the hardware Engineering position. It was a very general interview where I was asked questions about experiences and course projects I'd listed on my resume. At the end of it, I was asked what kind of position within the hardware division I was interested in and I opted for Firmware/Embedded Systems.

I was called for the onsite interview. It was a five round interview process where I interviewed with people from the xbox and surface teams. I was expecting firmware type questions and most of my questions were circuit design/VLSI type questions. There were some puzzles thrown in as well. Overall, I thought the interview process was pretty simple and straight forward but they were looking to hire someone who was not looking at working on something in particular. They were looking for a well rounded Electrical Engineer who could fill the PCB design, Digital Design and Firmware Engineering roles all with ease.

I was given a transistor circuit and I was asked to find the current flowing through one of the resistors.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program in the language of your choice to shuffle a deck of cards. And how would you do it without using the rand function?   Answer Question
    • Write a Program to reverse the order of a linked list using recursions.   Answer Question
    • I was given a transistor circuit in common base mode and was asked to find the current flowing through one of the resisters.   Answer Question
    • Write a program to count the number of bits that are '1' a 32 bit integer.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft.

I submitted resume in campus career fair, got reply pretty quick. After two turns of phone interview, they couldn't place me in a fit group, I got declines.

Interview Questions
    • They asked some questions regarding logic design, data structure, your resume, nothing is hard, all quite easy as long as you are prepared.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Apply the position online and they have an interview in our campus. Ask four tech question and some behavior question. First ask about use nor gate to implement not gate and use mux to implement and gate. And then ask several BJT questions.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

applied via college info event. wrote a nice cover letter to HR and he forwarded me a chance for phone interview.

phone interview setup with application. interview consist of Mech E asking me how i solve problems and how would I ask for help

then i waited 2 weeks and email invitation to Seattle.

4 interviews, however, i only had 3 technical and 1 HR. i realized when I only had 1 HR interview; i was on the short end?

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!