Microsoft

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details phone interview. 3 questions. then I ask

Interview Question – 1.P&L analysis 2.DCF analysis 3. communication skill.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details It was a straight forward interview. I was first contacted thru my school career center. It was a smooth interview.

Interview Question – Whats makes you thick?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got a better offer in a different company

Very Difficult Interview

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2008.

Interview Details There were 4 interviews on campus as well as a 5th interview if you made the cut from the first 4. They tell you the 5th is because they need to collect more information, but this is actually the time when you meet with the most senior person on the team for a final screening to choose between the top performers in the interview loop. Each interviewer was assigned a different competency to evaluate.

Interview Question – One interviewer would ask an question based on my answer to the previous question until I could not give more detail. This was particularly painful, but I think the purpose was to determine how I would respond to a question I did not know the answer to.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiation. They were very firm with their offer. This was in 2008 during the financial crisis, so I think they knew that this would most likely be the best offer I could get. It might be better now.

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2008.

Interview Details Seamless interview. Panel, met with 6 people including the final person to approve the panels decision.

Interview Question – Please try to be as detailed as possible regarding the technical question, business case, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much. They gave me about 1000 more in salary. I made a mistake and told them my former salary though

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Had one screening interview with the company and then was flown out for a "super day" of interviews. The first initial screening interview was more general of questions about my background, why I wanted to work there, and why I thought Microsoft had made different strategic decisions in the past. Then each of the interviews at the "super day" were mostly "fit" questions, except there were definitely questions regarding what was currently going on at Microsoft and one business case type question (on how you would think about going into a certain product or not). Therefore, I recommend reading up on current news articles about the company. I also recommend being prepared with a lot of questions to ask interviewers because every interviewer gives time to ask them questions.

Interview Question – Questions regarding their most recent 10-K or 10-Q   View Answer

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details This role in fact is a PM role, just finance related. Interviewed for PM questions, talking about resources, projects and so on.

Interview Question – PM question, how to act before leadership to get a project fulfilled.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

Interview Details This was a long process beginning with campus recruiting. That was very much a case type interview that required no prep. I was invited to final round interviews in the greater Seattle area. MS' talent sourcing group did all the leg work in arranging my travel and accommodations. The company was very welcoming to recruits and made the day of interviews as pleasant as possible. It made for a long day consisting of 4 different interviews with various levels of company personal. Surprisingly, the interviews with the higher level personnel were easier than the one with the more junior personnel. Three of the four were conversational and the fourth was a business case to see how well a new hire would think on their feet. Overall, it was a great experience and I was pretty bummed it didn't work out. Oh well.

Interview Question – Which of these three cars would you chose to buy and why? How would you go about making your decision?   Answer Question

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2010.

Interview Details I was contacted by Recruiter for this open contract position at microsoft and from there took a few weeks before i came for a face to face interview with hiring manager. After passing the phase 1 of the interview, i was contacted for a second round and it also took few weeks before it happened. And the second interview was harder than the first with more technical questions. After my second interview, a week passed before i got the result but the paperwork took a while to complete.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for a contract position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, i got quite a huge bump up from my original offer and advice i would give is to take your time when offered and have a second offer as backup plan so can negotiate better.

Very Easy Interview

Financial Analyst

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2011.

Interview Details Simple phone interview consisting of basic questions as well as behavioral questions to test basic skills and interpersonal comfort levels. Questions determined work ethic as well as how you would typically fit in with the rest of the account team. Second interview was with Account Managers with whom I would be working with.

Interview Question – Don't remember anything out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Interview Details First round interviews occurred on campus at the University. The interview was 1:1 and consisted mostly of behavior interview questions. There was one technical question testing understanding of finance. At the end of the interview I was told I would hear back from Microsoft shortly. I was then offered a final round interview in Seattle. I traveled to Microsoft HQ a couple of weeks later. Final round interviews were four 1:1 interviews that were both behavioral and technical.

Interview Question – (Given 4 financial statements) Microsoft is about to roll out a new Star Wars game on Xbox to promote usage of the Xbox Kinect. How would you price the product and evaluate the project?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Financial Analyst interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.