Michaels Stores

Relevance Date Difficulty

Replenishment Associate Interview

Replenishment Associate
Orleans, ON

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in June 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and got a call for an interview 4 days later to be held 2 days later. Front end supervisor and replenishment associate both interviewed me at the same time and was fairly laid back. The only issue I've had personally was that they overplayed their "We'll contact you if you're selected." line.

Interview Question – How would you react if you ever disagreed with a manager?   Answer Question

Framing Associate Interview

Framing Associate
North Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details Very easy. I don't think I was asked anything besides what arts or crafts I was interested in. The position was for framing and I seemed capable as far as helping customers and being responsible in general. The process began with the online test and took me around an hour to complete. Questions like "do you think stealing is wrong" or similar.

Negotiation Details – Nothing was negotiable.

Unknown At Time of Interview Interview

Unknown At Time of Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details There was a hiring blitz because a new store was opening. I had just recently lost my previous job so this came at the perfect time. I had to spend some time wandering around the store despite the fact that I was on time because the interview before me ran late. I sat down and had my turn finally. Manager told me about the store, when it was opening, when the job was starting. She didn't really give me any time to ask any questions, it seemed that she had already hired me in her mind as soon as she saw that I didn't have a hunchback or a club foot.

Interview Question – Like I said, there weren't any questions.   Answer Question

Replenishment/Customer Service/Cashier/Floral Production Interview

Replenishment/Customer Service/Cashier/Floral Production
Waterloo, ON

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Michaels Stores in April 2012.

Interview Details Submitted application on the website, got a call the week after. Wore tidy casual, eg beige dress pants, collared black dress shirt. Manager was nice, professional. Interview was easy. Got it on the spot.

Interview Question – Nothing, actually.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, it is a basic position.

Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service Interview

Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service
Brockville, ON

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2012.

Interview Details They phoned to set up the interview. I went in and completed it with the framing manager. A week later they called to offer me the position

Interview Question – How many times should an employee be late before they are disciplined?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2010.

Interview Details online test that im sure was longer than any SAT test. Absolutely pointless, had no bearing on the interview what so ever. its like they wanted to see if i was willing to waste my time in order to be considered for the job

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Floor Associate Interview

Part Time Sales Floor Associate
Louisville, KY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2014.

Interview Details Applied through the company's online application sometime in June 2014. I have gotten a call sometime last week asking if I was still interested in working at Michaels and I replied yes. There are actually three Michaels Stores in my area, and I had assumed that I would be going for an interview at the one closest to my home. I actually ended up having an interview at a store a little further from home, but the assistant manager was very understanding. She was very kind in calling my local store about any available positions, and the store did. All of the stores are currently gearing up for the Holiday season, but the assistant manager stressed that hours were very flexible and your time at the store (whether you stay on long term, short term, or seasonally) is ultimately up to you. Pay, on the other hand, not so much. Pay rates depends on the store, but I am more interested in a flexible work schedule because of other obligations going on in my life than I am of having a higher pay rate. Everyone I met was very freely and approachable: it was very easy to talk to them about my concerns with balancing this job with a full time job. I am hoping to hear from my local Michaels store so that I can speak with them about working there instead of having to say "Thanks, but no thanks".

Interview Question – The interview was more of a meet and greet, informative sort of session. It was a pretty short meeting, the interview took place more on the phone, which was unexpected. However, I did not have answer any general interview questions and the "resume" was my online application.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, which was fine; I have a bachelors degree, but it is not in business, and I have never worked in retail before.

Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service Interview

Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service
Medford, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2014.

Interview Details -Found job on indeed.com
-Applied online -very simple/easy questions (but may take some time to fill out)
-Got a call a month later and was asked what days I was free for an interview
-Went in the next day for my interview a few minutes early (sat. at 1pm)
-Asked someone working there where I go for my interview and she showed me the "crafts room" in the back.
-I sat down with the lady who was going to interview me and I didn't have any work experience so she asked me questions about when I was a leader at school and a lot of questions about customer service and how I would handle tough situations. It was fairly straight forward and she was very friendly and not at all rude or mean.
-We talked about when I would be available to work (I brought my college class schedule) and she pretty much told me what I'd be doing (stocking on this day and cashier on weekends, maybe even driving a vehicle for shipping in the back) and what times I'd be there and she worked around my fall schedule (which I also brought in) (I'm currently taking summer classes)
-Interview was about 30-40min long and after she said she'd call once my background check was processed (3 days) and if not then call on wed. to see what's up (4days) :-)

I'm pretty sure I got the job AND it also helped that I practiced q&a at home with a friend and went online and looked at what Michael's as a store stands for and all that stuff~
JUST BE YOURSELF AND LOVE ART/CRAFTS AND YOU'LL BE FINE (I also didn't smile as much bc I was somewhat nervous so don't worry too much on that and make good eye contact, remember your interviewer's name, ask what position you are applying for (they sometimes don't tell you), be willing to learn and just be passionate about arts and crafty stuff (add that stuff to your answers too)

Didn't have a problem with anyone there, the staff was super friendly and just come in with a positive attitude and be polite and smile :-)
GOOD LUCK!!!

Interview Question – -When have you worked in a team?...(I don't have work experience so I talked about clubs in school, cross country, volleyball and classroom projects)
-When have you bent the rules?...(I told her I wore black jeans in jr. high when the dress code only allowed blue jeans ~she laughed saying it's good I haven't done anything extreme and called me a rebel haha~)
When have you used a shortcut?...(I told her I normally don't use shortcuts with projects but I do when there's an accident on the road and I have to go another way ~we both laughed~)

Other Questions:
-Why do you want to work here?...(I LOVE ARTS AND CRAFTS!!!)
-What do you do if you have a problem or argument with a supervisor/manager?...(I talk it out with them)
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – She said I'd get a call after my background check and I'm going to ask for minimum wage which here in Oregon is $9.10 and if it's below that I'll take the job (it's a job guys!!) and work there for a bit (maybe I can raise it) while looking for another job that pays more~

Cashiertockman Interview

Cashiertockman
Alexandria, VA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2013.

Interview Details Just showed up and discuss the things I liked about employment and how I worked with others. My knowledge on certain products and even knowledge of Brands and Brushes used for people aspiring to become a good artist.

Interview Question – The time you had to work and how long you worked.   View Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview Details Completed an online application which consisted of a ridiculous timed assessment and personality test. Received a call to confirm interview appointment five days later. I thought it would be the usual face-to-face, but it was a group interview consisting of six other candidates. Definitely was not expecting it. Manager wasn't there so another employee and assistant manager hosted the interview. Basic interview with common retail questions. Because I didn't have any previous work experience, I was not qualify for the position.

Interview Question – 1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Why should we hire you?
3. Describe a time where you were faced with a difficult situation.
4. During a busy day, you notice that another employee stole $100 from the cash register, how would you handle it?
  Answer Question

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!