Merkle Interview Questions

Updated 23 Oct, 2014
Updated 23 Oct, 2014

3.3

Director Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merkle.

As others have said -- run from this unprofessional place.

2 phone interview followed by an onsite interview with a handful of people. Onsite interview included a presentation to the group as others have mentioned in their posts. Very few questions asked during the preso.

It was surprising that the hiring manager wasn't at the onsite and the planned video conf was cancelled. Strangest part was the interview ending with a discussion with person who would have been a subordinate. A person, I might add, who had a chip on their shoulder from the word hello. No final discussion with HR -- the day just ended. Not even a call from HR that day or the next.

Strung along for weeks only to hear they hired a friend of an employee. It is unprofessional to waste a qualified candidate's time when you're planning to hire someone's buddy.

Truthfully, I dodged a bullet here and am in a better position. Beware this hollow chocolate bunny.

Interview Questions
    • No memorable questions. Just kept hearing how my experience made me ideal for the position.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Merkle is working with a department store on a credit card. Initial opening bonus paid to store, interest cost, annual fee etc. are given on a piece of paper. You'll need to calc the profit. And it's not profitable. So what's the BEP of opening bonus? What if we want to have a progressive opening bonus based on accounts opened? What's the curve of profit against accounts opened? Where's the highest point and how much?

Interview Questions
    • You are CEO of a satellite TV company by the time when it's unpopular. What's the advantage and risk for this situation? Then you're given estimated revenue and cost(variable and fixed). Calc profitability. There are 2 ways to increase profit, 1 is to offer more free months and attract more customer, 1 is to reduce fixed cost but might reduce customer. Which is optimal? Where does the reduced customer and original proposal breakeven?   Answer Question

Vice President, Digital Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

They schedule multiple interviews in one day. Obviously an extremely busy place.
    You have to do a presentation and should be applicable to the position you are interviewing for
    If you are uninterested in programmatic, DSP or DMP, then this is not an organization for you.

Interview Questions
    A fair amount of back and forth. But to be expected. Took a week to finalize.

Learning and Development Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

About a week after I submitted my resume, a Merkle HR representative contacted me. We set up a 30 minute interview for the following day. Nothing was really unexpected about this first call, although she did say she did not have any details about the day-to-day duties of the job and that if we moved onto the next phone interview, that particular person would have more details. She just asked questions about my resume and experience, as well as more specific questions about what elearning tools I had experience with. She said that she would like to set me up for the second interview and would contact me the next day. I waited, but no email or phone call came, so another day later I emailed her. She said that they had decided to fill the position internally and that she meant to send me a message sooner.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very difficult or unexpected for the first round of phone interviews.   Answer Question

Lead Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Merkle in May 2014.

Seven 1:1 interviews and a 45-min presentation to the group. Interviews were confirmed several days in advance, but changed on the day. First interviewer was a no-show, others swapped in last minute and I wasn't given an updated schedule with names / titles. They said this is common practice.

Interview Questions
    • None. Questions were all expected. Interviewers didn't appear to have questions prepared; a stream-of-consciousness approach.   Answer Question

Unethical behaviors by HR and line manager (i.e. back-door references). After pursuing me for several months, and after I "passed" their interviewing process with at least 6 people endorsing my hire, they called to tell me they were doing "back-door references" on me.

The irony is that my presentation to them earlier in the day included points on ensuring candidate confidentiality AND delivering a positive candidate experience. No bueno. No thanks.

Digital Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Was approached by a recruiter, who forgot our first phone appointment. After a brief conversation, a phoner with the hiring manager was set up. Hiring manager couldn't make that call, so hiring manager's boss ran the phone interview, which was cursory and somewhat uninformative due to lack of familiarity with the day-to-day of the role.
    Was brought in for an in-person interview with 5 people, complete with presentation as others have mentioned. Of the 5, the hiring manager was 15 minutes late for my interview and left after 5 minutes, and promised to return for my presentation but never did. Another interviewer had no idea what position I was interviewing for. All made multiple references to being "a start-up culture", despite working for a company that is decidedly not a start-up. I believe they believe "start-up culture" means "overworked, understaffed, and miserable but we have SNACKS".
    Another phone interview was set up for another position. That hiring manager blew off that phoner.
    Another recruiter reached out to explain there has been a lot of confusion about what position I was there for, but all agreed I was a good company fit and they would contact me in a few weeks.
    Total chaos and a barely apologetic waste of time.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Before the interview, I was asked to prepare a presentation in which I walked through a challenging project I had managed. During the presentation there was open discussion about the details of th eproject and how I handled certain situations.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Merkle in February 2014.

I applied for a position posted on Merkle's website in late December and was contacted via email to setup a phone screen in January.

Phone screen was with the supervisor of the position and went well. She told me that HR would email me to setup an interview. At the end of the call, she mentioned the presentation that is required during the interview process.

HR contacted me asking for dates I was available. They setup the interview for late February due to month end close and the on-going year end audit.

I interviewed with 2 employees who would be direct reports to the position, a peer and the supervisor who was a Director. I was to interview with the VP/Controller but she was travelling on business. They allotted a 1/2 hour with each person. We were able to go over since the VP would not be interviewing me. I found that even with 40-45 minutes I did not have as much time as I would have liked with each person. Everyone seemed thoroughly enthusiastic and praised Merkle. The Director conducted her interview over lunch and then I gave my presentation.

HR emailed me that day to come back the following week for an interview with the VP during lunch. She escorted me to the Director afterwards where I could ask additional questions. The Director stated she would get back to me either that day or the next.

She called the next day to offer me the job and I accepted.

Overall, the process was very organized and they made the decision quickly.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have any difficult questions. They asked a lot of questions so you really need to know yourself and what you bring to the table. I understood the position and what I would be doing so I could focus on those aspects of my experience when discussing the benefits of hiring me.
      The hardest part for me was the presentation. As an Accountant, I am used to presenting numbers to people who have a vested interest in the company. I did not think these people would be interested in numbers for another company. I chose a leadership topic involving mentoring employees and managing the project. It seemed to do the trick.
        Answer Question
    Negotiation was not necessary. The offer was well worth the transition.

Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Merkle.

Got the interview through college hiring. Got the interview after that and went through phone interview. It's the basic questions regarding data warehouse, design, implementation and some behavior question. Not too tough.

Interview Questions
    barely room for salary negotiation

Digital Advertising Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Merkle.

Merkle is very particular about recruiting and retaining top talent (think intelligent, fun, hardworking and driven), so expect a rigorous interview process to match. I had a pretty standard phone interview (talked through my resume and was asked about how familiar I was with some industry-specific terminology) before being contacted 2 days later to be invited onsite for Merkle's infamous day of interviews. This consists of back-to-back half-hour long interviews (usually ranging from between 4-6), followed by a project review where you deliver a presentation about a project you have worked on and its relevancy to your application. This presentation is prepared in advance and delivered to the people who interviewed you, as well as anyone else who wants to sit in. Expect questions! Interviews were all fairly friendly, with no unusually tricky questions.

While probably a more challenging process when compared to most companies, I never found it difficult, and those who feel the same way are likely those who will do well with Merkle's strong company culture. I received an offer within a few days - salary was a little lower than I would have liked, maybe slightly below industry average. I still accepted it because the people I met were inspiring, benefits sounded promising (unlimited vacation days!) and the office is absolutely beautiful. It was a very fast-moving and professionally organized process, and I would most definitely recommend it.