McKinsey & Company

Updated 11 Dec, 2014
Updated 11 Dec, 2014

3.9

Business Analyst Interview

hard process, wasn't what I expected. Important to network with people internally and learn more about industry. Every office does it differently I had to do a PST. Passed that with ease but failed at case studies.

Summer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

1st round, 2 case interviews, they asked about tell us a team you lead a team and did something great,. the 2nd person asked about tell us a time you worked with a team and turned out great. and got 2 case itnerviews about market entry and competition.

Interview Questions
    • 1st person asked about team work, 2nd person asked about leadership   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

My hiring process was no traditional. I am a MSc student, and applied for their summer insight program and was recruited for a full time interview through that application.

The interview was straight forward and as expected. I didn't receive an offer because my insights were not straight forward and my follow up explanations were not super clear. Make sure you have a clear explanation for everything you say.

Interviewers are very supportive, and appreciate the amount of time it takes to prepare for the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you worked in a group and had to resolve conflict.
      Tell me about a time when you had to learn something new/take on a new challenge in a short time period.

Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I was invited for the PST and Group Interview and then the following week I had two first-round interviews (45 min each consisting of 15 min fit and 30 min case). Did not make it past first-round. Negative experience with one interviewer and positive with the other.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to convince someone of something where the outcome was very important for your career.   View Answer

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Two interviews, both of them walking through a sample case. Everyone was really friendly and did their best to take the pressure off of you. Interviewers were nice, but fair. I thought their hiring methodology is well thought out and developed. The Toronto office is very spacious and the waiting area is well-furnished.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real unexpected questions, no "brainteasers" or anything stupid like that.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Was interviewing after deciding to make a career switch. I have a professional degree and was more than qualified. Didn't buy it, were not receptive. The interview process is very stiff.

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I applied online and got an interview for the Toronto office. I had two interviews one after another. The interviews were very relaxed. They first asked me to tell them something about myself, then continued with question on leadership and a situation when i had to convince someone. After that, it was the case.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Two rounds of interviews. First round consisted of two consecutive 1-hour interviews, followed by the problem solving test. Second round was one week later, and consisted of four interviews with more senior consultants. Same-day results. Overall the process was challenging but very rewarding. The tone was positive and supportive at all steps.

Interview Questions
    • The math questions can be tricky, and the cases can be somewhat complex, especially in later rounds. Over all interviews I was only asked a single standard interview question ("Why do you want to work here?").   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

Very good communication. Had a phone interview, followed by a first round with PST. Final rounds were with partners. Partner cases were alot less structured and functioned more like a conversation

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

They contacted me well in advance, assigned me a current consultant as an interview mentor, and sent me plenty of material to prepare me for the evaluation process. It was very relaxed, yet VERY detailed.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you took a risk. Don't just provide the basics: they keep asking and prodding to understand every aspect of your decision making process.   Answer Question