McKinsey & Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Summer Business Analyst

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details Two interviews, both of them walking through a sample case. Everyone was really friendly and did their best to take the pressure off of you. Interviewers were nice, but fair. I thought their hiring methodology is well thought out and developed. The Toronto office is very spacious and the waiting area is well-furnished.

Interview Question – There were no real unexpected questions, no "brainteasers" or anything stupid like that.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Toronto, ON

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details Was interviewing after deciding to make a career switch. I have a professional degree and was more than qualified. Didn't buy it, were not receptive. The interview process is very stiff.

Interview Question – What do you plan to do if this doesn't work out?   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Summer Business Analyst
Toronto, ON

I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2012.

Interview Details 2 rounds. First round was 2 cases. Both were medium to medium hard difficulty. Got through to the second round. Went through three case interviews, one with an associate, one with a fairly senior member, and one with region director. For the second round they give you an interview buddy to help you practice. Cases have similar structure to their online practice cases, which is different from the style done at BCG where I also interviewed. I personally find the McKinsey ones easier because they provide more structure.

Interview Question – Cases varied in difficulty from medium to hard.   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2013.

Interview Details Interviewed in 2013 August. Being a PhD candidate, I went through a Problem Solving Test (PST) which comprised of multiple math questions after reading a business case. The test is pretty intense but with enough amount of practice and attention to details, you could pass it easily. After the PST, there was a group interview, where I was put in a room with 5 other candidates. A consultant walked in to give us guidance on "how to do a case" but in actual fact, he asked us case interview questions about exhibits and each of us had to provide insights on the exhibit. It would be unfortunate if you are the last to be asked as there is really limited insights in one exhibit. However, they switch up the answering order for subsequent questions so it is fair for everyone. I was later called that afternoon to be informed that I did extremely well for my PST and I passed that screening round.
I was then invited to the first round interview where there were two interviewers. Each started with a behavioral interview and ended with a case interview. It was not super complex and you do not have to know complicated formulas. The calculations may have obscure numbers to work with. It is generally a pressure test and to see if you are "smooth".

Interview Question – Tell me what was your greatest achievement. This question is seemingly easy, but my feedback was that they are looking for something that is really impressive and engaging.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details Standard McKinsey interview process... Apply in early September and get an email a week or two later saying you've made it to the first round.
First round was that same week, consisting of a problem solving test and two on campus interviews back to back. The interviews were 20 minutes of behavioral + a 40 minute case.
Results were phoned back with feedback that weekend.
Two weeks later you go to the office you applied to and interview with some of the senior people in the office that day (in my case 3 interviews, back to back to back followed by lunch with the office, though I've heard of 4 or 5 interviews). These interviews are of the same format as the earlier ones, just with harder and more in depth questions.
Phone call that same evening with results.

Interview Question – "Tell me of a time you showed leadership (or whatever, they always ask about the pillars of McKinsey which are on their website). Ok, tell me another one. Cool, tell me another one. Ok, maybe one more. Now, let's go back to the first one (and talk about it for 30 minutes)"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, pay for BAs is standardized.

Graduate Consultant Interview

Graduate Consultant
Montreal, QC

I applied online and interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details I applied online and got an interview for the Toronto office. I had two interviews one after another. The interviews were very relaxed. They first asked me to tell them something about myself, then continued with question on leadership and a situation when i had to convince someone. After that, it was the case.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you influenced someone   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details Two rounds of interviews. First round consisted of two consecutive 1-hour interviews, followed by the problem solving test. Second round was one week later, and consisted of four interviews with more senior consultants. Same-day results. Overall the process was challenging but very rewarding. The tone was positive and supportive at all steps.

Interview Question – The math questions can be tricky, and the cases can be somewhat complex, especially in later rounds. Over all interviews I was only asked a single standard interview question ("Why do you want to work here?").   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details Very good communication. Had a phone interview, followed by a first round with PST. Final rounds were with partners. Partner cases were alot less structured and functioned more like a conversation

Interview Question – Case on insurance premiums   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant
Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details They contacted me well in advance, assigned me a current consultant as an interview mentor, and sent me plenty of material to prepare me for the evaluation process. It was very relaxed, yet VERY detailed.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you took a risk. Don't just provide the basics: they keep asking and prodding to understand every aspect of your decision making process.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2013.

Interview Details 2 Interviews, both covered behaviour & a case

Interview Question – They really dug deep in the behavioural questions. Best to use a situation where all parties where together over a short time frame so you can explain without any complications b/c the interviewer will grill you for more and more details.   Answer Question

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!