McKinsey & Company

692 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details Standard McKinsey interview process... Apply in early September and get an email a week or two later saying you've made it to the first round.
First round was that same week, consisting of a problem solving test and two on campus interviews back to back. The interviews were 20 minutes of behavioral + a 40 minute case.
Results were phoned back with feedback that weekend.
Two weeks later you go to the office you applied to and interview with some of the senior people in the office that day (in my case 3 interviews, back to back to back followed by lunch with the office, though I've heard of 4 or 5 interviews). These interviews are of the same format as the earlier ones, just with harder and more in depth questions.
Phone call that same evening with results.

Interview Question – "Tell me of a time you showed leadership (or whatever, they always ask about the pillars of McKinsey which are on their website). Ok, tell me another one. Cool, tell me another one. Ok, maybe one more. Now, let's go back to the first one (and talk about it for 30 minutes)"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, pay for BAs is standardized.

Graduate Consultant Interview

Montreal, QC

I applied online and interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details I applied online and got an interview for the Toronto office. I had two interviews one after another. The interviews were very relaxed. They first asked me to tell them something about myself, then continued with question on leadership and a situation when i had to convince someone. After that, it was the case.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you influenced someone   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details Two rounds of interviews. First round consisted of two consecutive 1-hour interviews, followed by the problem solving test. Second round was one week later, and consisted of four interviews with more senior consultants. Same-day results. Overall the process was challenging but very rewarding. The tone was positive and supportive at all steps.

Interview Question – The math questions can be tricky, and the cases can be somewhat complex, especially in later rounds. Over all interviews I was only asked a single standard interview question ("Why do you want to work here?").   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details Very good communication. Had a phone interview, followed by a first round with PST. Final rounds were with partners. Partner cases were alot less structured and functioned more like a conversation

Interview Question – Case on insurance premiums   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant
Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details They contacted me well in advance, assigned me a current consultant as an interview mentor, and sent me plenty of material to prepare me for the evaluation process. It was very relaxed, yet VERY detailed.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you took a risk. Don't just provide the basics: they keep asking and prodding to understand every aspect of your decision making process.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2013.

Interview Details 2 Interviews, both covered behaviour & a case

Interview Question – They really dug deep in the behavioural questions. Best to use a situation where all parties where together over a short time frame so you can explain without any complications b/c the interviewer will grill you for more and more details.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2012.

Interview Details Information sessions were held on campus where engagement managers, business analysts, principals, and partners educated students on the kinds of opportunities available to them. All representatives were incredibly welcoming and very helpful. We were all instructed to apply via the online application system. Within a few days, successful applicants were asked to be interviewed while unsuccessful applicants were emailed about a week later. The people were always friendly and supportive of all interested students.

Interview Question – The business cases were not too challenging for undergraduate students. We were not required to take the Problem Solving Test. The behavioural questions were pre-given to us, ie. example of leadership, biggest personal impact story etc.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Associate Interview

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2010.

Interview Details Pre-interview communication was excellent. I received a phone call from the recruiter in Toronto to go over some initial details about the process (e.g. number of interviews, expected dates, interview format, etc.) He also informed me that I would be assigned a 'buddy' who would help me with interview preparation. My buddy went above and beyond even delivering a case to me in the middle of night (for him) as 8 time zones separated us and that was the only time that worked.

There were 2 x 60 minute first round interviews conducted by 2 Senior Associates/EMs in the Toronto office. Standard 20 minutes of deep behavioral probing questions and a 30 minute case. Plus a few minutes of chit-chat at the end.

Second round interviews were conducted by Associate Principals and Partners. There were 4x60 minute interviews in this round and they were held back-to-back over a 4 hour stretch one Friday morning. Two of these interviews were face-to-face and two were conducted over video conference. Format was similar to the first round but the partners were a little more free-form moving from behavioral questions to case and sometimes back.

Interview Question – A high level of personal preparation is required to succeed in the McKinsey interview process. Candidates should know that they need to do a lot of self-reflection to understand their own strengths and weaknesses. There was nothing too difficult in the case portion of the interviews for someone who is well prepared. The difficult questions are the probing behavioral questions. Expect to go into great depth in your answers to behavioral questions (e.g. expect to quote verbatim what was said in conversations).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation is possible if you are entering the firm direct from school. Salaries and all offer details are normalized across North America for the entire incoming cohort.

Analytics Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details very interactive and fun. They had an individual presentation, two group discussions where they wanted to check how participative we were, and then had three-four technical questions which were very tough: they just wanted to check how you handle the questions rather than if you got the answers right

Interview Question – introduce your co-applicant to the interviewers: i intriduced him as the best man for the job. I got the job   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didnt negotiate

IT Business Analyst Interview

IT Business Analyst
Montreal, QC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2012.

Interview Details The process wasn't as hard as some people assume. You just need to be confident and not pissing your pants like so many people I saw. It was pleasant to see that they actually offer workshops on how to get through the interviews.

My process was 2 first round interview followed by 3 second round interviews a week later. There are usually 4 second round interviews but there was a staffing shortage so we only had 3. First round with Engagement Managers. First 2 of the second round with Associate Principals. All these were the same format. About 30 minutes behavioural and 30 minutes a set case that my interviewer was reading. My last interview however was with a Principal and he just told me about a situation he was in where he had to talk to a board about a sensitive situation and we went through how I would handle it.

Interview Question – They are pretty protective of their questions. I respect that. Just be confident.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at McKinsey & Company

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!

McKinsey & Company Videos

McKinsey & Company – Why Work for Us?

​ Someone once said “Far and away, the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Our consultants tackle complex, world-shaping challenges… from re-imagining healthcare… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKinsey & Company interview questions and advice. All 692 interview reviews are posted anonymously by McKinsey & Company employees and interview candidates.