McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr, 2015

3.9

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Received an invitation to do a PST at the closest office. PST consists of 26 questions within 30 minutes - I don't think they expect you to complete it all. The advice I got was quality over quantity, which is what I think got me the interview. Interview was 2 rounds, with each round consisting of 2 interviews that has a behavioral and a case portion. The case portion is interviewer led, and the behavioral portion is mostly just one of your situations explained and analyzed in detail.

Interview Questions

• The CEO just walked in, what would you give as a recommendation?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. First round was with 2 consultants (30+30 behavior and case). Quant was a bit tough and I struggled slightly at first. But the interviewers were really nice in helping me out. 2nd round was with 4 directors/partners. Some unusual cases. Good conversations. Overall very relaxing experience. The interviewers really wanted to get to know me as a person. Make sure everything you say is super structured and logical. Interview decisions are made on the day of so you don't have to wait too long.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied online with resume and other required documents. They seem to be flexible with resume formatting if you are coming from academia (i.e. have a PhD). Staff and consultants during the interview process were super friendly but we were a bit crammed during the test. Other than that not much to complain about.

Associate Interview

Interview

3 rounds. 1-IWIA, 2-nearest city, 3-target office. Rounds 2 and 3 were all half behavioral, half case. Rejected in the last round, interviewed with 2 partners and an EM. Interviewers were all very nice, and recruiters extremely helpful in connecting to other consultants.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral were mostly around leadership experience and crisis resolution.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

hard process, wasn't what I expected. Important to network with people internally and learn more about industry. Every office does it differently I had to do a PST. Passed that with ease but failed at case studies.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

1st round, 2 case interviews, they asked about tell us a team you lead a team and did something great,. the 2nd person asked about tell us a time you worked with a team and turned out great. and got 2 case itnerviews about market entry and competition.

Interview Questions

• 1st person asked about team work, 2nd person asked about leadership   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Toronto, ON) in September 2014.

Interview

My hiring process was no traditional. I am a MSc student, and applied for their summer insight program and was recruited for a full time interview through that application.

The interview was straight forward and as expected. I didn't receive an offer because my insights were not straight forward and my follow up explanations were not super clear. Make sure you have a clear explanation for everything you say.

Interviewers are very supportive, and appreciate the amount of time it takes to prepare for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked in a group and had to resolve conflict.
      Tell me about a time when you had to learn something new/take on a new challenge in a short time period.

Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Montreal, QC) in September 2014.

Interview

I was invited for the PST and Group Interview and then the following week I had two first-round interviews (45 min each consisting of 15 min fit and 30 min case). Did not make it past first-round. Negative experience with one interviewer and positive with the other.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to convince someone of something where the outcome was very important for your career.   1 Answer

Interview

Two interviews, both of them walking through a sample case. Everyone was really friendly and did their best to take the pressure off of you. Interviewers were nice, but fair. I thought their hiring methodology is well thought out and developed. The Toronto office is very spacious and the waiting area is well-furnished.

Interview Questions

• There were no real unexpected questions, no "brainteasers" or anything stupid like that.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Toronto, ON).

Interview

Was interviewing after deciding to make a career switch. I have a professional degree and was more than qualified. Didn't buy it, were not receptive. The interview process is very stiff.