McGladrey LLP

Getting the Interview

173 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tax Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

Interview Details applied online on university career resource website, was invited for first round interview on campus. attended a meet and greet (drinks and hors d'oeuvres) at a local restaurant the evening before the interview, interviewed with a partner the following day, very conversational, heard back from the recruiter 1-2 weeks later and was invited for a second round interview in the office, again very conversational met with a partner and a specialist in the office and attended a dinner while in town

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for McGladrey?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – did not negotiate

Consulting Supervisor Interview

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

Interview Details Started with a phone interview. I acutally received an offer directly after the single, phone-based interview. I turned it down as I wanted to meet/speak with other people in the organization who I would be working with and so that I had time to conduct my own due dilligence activities. Over the course of another 6-weeks during which I spoke with a number of other people both directly and by phone, I was told that I had the position but that a starting point would be contingent upon available work closing. The process became a back and forth conversation for the subsequent 6 months until another formal offer was made and we negotiated an agreement.

Interview Question – There were no questions that I found to be particularly difficult nor unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fairly short with me turning down the 2nd offer and then negotiating to a mutually agreeable solution.

Interviewed at McGladrey LLP

Interview Details First interaction was at a career fair, applied for the job and was called for an interview. One on one interview got an email for an office interview within 5 days. Office interview consisted of 2 interviews and a lunch. Received offer 9 days later.

Interview Question – There were no questions a reasonably prepared person would find difficult, interviews were simple and more conversational.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated nothing I liked the offer and the company. It was a phone call then an acceptance via email.

Audit Associate Interview

Audit Associate
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

Interview Details I was not hired for what I applied for, but I record excellent detail that I'm willing to share. A McGladrey interview will almost be 80% based on your personality, a few behavioral questions, and lots of "tell me about yourself" stuff. They're definitely just getting to know you as a person. Your qualifications to do the job is the main reason the interview is provided--they know that you can do the job, because they'll most likely put you to a formal training program anyway.

It's as described by many: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner, by some employees of the firm, to help ease your nerves. Whether or not they have any power in your hiring, that's unknown. Better be nice to everyone. We had a nice relaxing lunch with all the other candidates. Learn a little bit about the firm, the benefits, all that jazz. After lunch, the candidates went their separate ways to meet their respective interviewers. They'll each tell you a little bit about themselves before they get to the real deal.

For me, I had an Audit Partner interview me. Nope. I can feel I sucked. Why? He did not seem very pleased to even be doing interviews, which was an immediate sign that I was not going do well, or have a fair chance. He was interviewing my INTEREST in the position by asking if I have any questions about the job; I had a few, but not enough to last 10-15 minutes conversation. But being that I've always dreamed about being a part of McGladrey and for my dream career choice, what didn't I already know? This was my fault; should've prepared better. It's not an interview about how much you want the position & company, it's about showing the ambition you want for yourself in YOUR career. He had NOTHING scripted, and it was all spur of the moment questions...well, in my case, expecting me to have questions for him.

Interview #2 was with a junior HR person. It was more formal, with the questions I've prepared for in personality questions and a few behavioral. Definitely felt I aced it. But again, I think most of the hiring powers come from Partners. If not, you probably need the approval of both. I already knew I was a lost cause, and accepted defeat after all this.

Below, I share with you some questions in exact form:

Interview Question – 1) Tell me about yourself
2) Why do you want to work with McGladrey?
3) Why did you not apply for the Big 4?
4) Why public and not private?
5) Why do you like Audit? (or whatever your position is)
6) Tell me about a time you made a mistake, and how you dealt with this?
7) Run me down with your resume
8) Do you have any teamwork/leadership skills?

Have some questions ABOUT the position you're applying for, even if you know most of it already, to show interest. Be ready to wing random moments of conversation
  View Answer

Assurance Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

Interview Details Participated in on campus recruiting event. Meet with representatives at an on campus career fair. Was offered an on campus interview with an assurance manager in the Chicago office. A week later I was invited to their Chicago office for another interview. The entire process took about four weeks.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had a successful group project and and unsuccessful one.   Answer Question

Tax Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

Interview Details I went through the campus recruiting process- career fair, on campus interview, and then office visit. Everything was pretty relaxed, yet you can tell you're being evaluated based on all of your behavior. Be yourself and it'll come naturally if you're the right fit for the firm, overall both you and the firm should feel comfortable as it is a mutual relationship.

Interview Question – Why tax?   Answer Question

Assurance Summer Intern Interview

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

Interview Details I was so nervous prior to my first interview with McGladrey. However, after meeting with career planning and going over the expected questions, I was much more relaxed. Going into the interview, I felt very prepared to talk about myself and my experiences on my resume. The interview was much more conversational than I expected and I found that it is easiest to talk than to wait for the interviewer to prompt you with questions.

Interview Question – What makes you YOU?   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Audit Associate

Interviewed at McGladrey LLP

Interview Details I was surprised at how relaxed and conversational the first interview went. The employees were all extremely informative and excited to tell you about their experience at McGladrey. Most of the interview we discussed my abroad experience and some past work at my internship.

Interview Question – There was nothing unexpected or difficult!   Answer Question

Assurance Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

Interview Details I was able to skip the first round interviews because I was part of their Summer Leadership Program. First-round interviews are usually held on campus. Second round interviews were held in-office. We were first given a presentation on the different opportunities McGladrey has to offer and an office tour. Then three different people interviewed me, who were managers or directors. They really tried to make it a relaxed environment.

Interview Question – Honestly there were no unexpected questions, but the one I had most difficulty with was asking about a teamwork conflict from my work experience (most of my internships were individual work).   Answer Question

Audit Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

Interview Details The entire process was very painless. It started with a short on-campus interview. I was then invited into the office for a half day experience early the next week. The in office experience consisted of two interviews, an office tour, an informational session, and lunch with several employees. Everybody was great to deal with. The interviews were very laid back and mostly conversational. I received an offer a few hours after I left the office.

Interview Question – None. The interviews were mostly conversational. There were a few behavioral based questions, but nothing unusual. Be sure you can talk about yourself and have questions about the company.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at McGladrey LLP