Mary Kay

Updated 30 Nov, 2014

1.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Mary Kay in March 2014.

I was almost sucked into this cult. Thankfully, I did some research first and discovered that it is a pyramid scheme that uses cult-like manipulation tactics.

I was harassed, for months, by a Mary Kay consultant to attend a "pampering session." She eventually managed to manipulate me (guilted) me into attending. I was very skeptical, at first, but as they lavished us all with compliments and cheesecake and told us their stories, even those most skeptical in the room was ready to sign up for an "executive level income" working only part-time.

Interview Questions

It's not exactly a "job offer" it is an opportunity to buy in to a multi-level marketing pyramid scheme. Do your research and you will see for yourself. (even Harpers magazine calls it the Pink Pyramid...Forbes also wrote about the scam)

Contractor (Corporate Design Division) Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Mary Kay.

I secured my interview through an outside recruiting agency and was told where to go, which HR rep to ask for upon arrival, and how long the process should take (they wanted it on a day when I already had a doctor appointment scheduled so I needed to be done by a certain time). When I arrived, I went to the "Human Resources Lobby" which was completely abandoned. I went to the main front desk and asked Security to let the HR rep know I was there. She never arrived. About 10 minutes after my interview was scheduled to begin, the actual managers came in to interview me. The interview itself lasted for the time I was told to expect, but then I was required to take multiple skills tests that I was not told about. The HR rep finally made an appearance to set these up for me, then quickly left me alone again without any means of contacting her should I have any problems. Which I did. The computer froze when I was about halfway into the first test (over an hour after I was scheduled to leave forcing me to cancel my doctor appointment at the last minute). I ended up having to finish the skills tests at home over the weekend and miss more work to make up the doctor appointment I had missed. The whole thing was ridiculous and thinking back on it, I'm questioning why I took the job.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult or unexpected questions but I was required to take time-consuming, intensive skills tests that I was not expecting, causing me to miss additional work/personal commitments. These should have been mentioned when I asked about the length of time needed for the interview so that I could plan accordingly.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Mary Kay.

The interview was great. Some tough questions, but I was able to answer them all. I was connected to this job through a hiring agency. I met with the Corporate International Marketing Director, which was who I would have worked for. They offered me the position, then I found out I have a family member who works for Mary Kay- So I was unable to take the position.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you would be able to take on a global position?   Answer Question

Human Resources Gen/Recruiter Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Mary Kay.

They ran around scattered. There was a man in the department who sadly seemed to be the only person who knew what was going on, and the women were bombarding him with questions about what to do with me. I was embarrassed for him.

Interview Questions
    • The person I met with professed she didn't have a lot of interviewing experience and wasn't sure why her director wanted her to speak with me.   Answer Question

Lacked professionalism. I saw no growth. Stated 3 HR ppl had already left this year. Not a good sign.

Independent Beauty Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Mary Kay.

You are recruited without any qualifications or screenings. Mary Kay builds their business by recruiting more sales consultants. If you attend a party or facial with a consultant expect to be tempted into becoming a consultant yourself. The interview is more about getting to know you and showing you how Mary Kay can positively impact your life.

No negotiation, just purchase your starter kit and you are ready to go.

Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mary Kay in April 2014.

They gave me a phone call interview. But it took almost 1 month waiting for the result although I emailed to check for several times. The interview process was quite good. However they didn't accept me.

Interview Questions
    • How do you utilize your leadership skill and give us an example?   Answer Question

Intern Logistics Interview

On-site interview

Independent Beauty Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mary Kay in March 2014.

Basically asked who I was and my family and what my goals were. Three things I wanted to get out it. What things were important to me.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Mary Kay in March 2014.

Phone screen, then a group interview then met the decision maker. They LOVED ME according to recruiter. They had never met someone like me and wanted me. Little did I know what awaited me - boredom and looking for work to stay busy. Started looking elsewhere after the first 3 weeks.

No nego - my rate was met.

Independent Beauty Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Mary Kay.

you just meet somewhere with a recruiter and talk about Mary Kay, they will ask you a number of questions, tell you what the company is about, ask you about yourself and see ask you if you would like to join if they think you are right for Mary Kay