Marvell Technology

Updated 17 Feb, 2015
Updated 17 Feb, 2015

Physical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marvell Technology.

Phone call from HR, tell details about grounp, and On-Site with 7 rounds, each round takes 45 mins, 1:1 style, Very basic question, setup, hold, timing report,
    Manager took for lunch, and talk about the group, and visit campus.
    Logic effect calculation, draw stick picture of NAND, sample sequence detector, cross clock domain.
    Talk about your resume, and explain your project at school.
    Nothing surprises, pretty basic stuff.

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marvell Technology in November 2014.

apply online and after several weeks, I got phone interview. It is about ASIC design/verification. My background is more focus on Verification of microprofessor, FPGA. Not very familiar with ASIC flow.so it is very important for background match.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marvell Technology in November 2014.

I received a call for an onsite interview as I was in Santa Clara itself. I gave first onsite with 3 engineers. After 15-20 days I received call for another onsite with 4 engineers. The interviews were pretty basic stuff related to Verilog basics, FSM Design, FIFO related questions as well as on the resume. After 2nd onsite I waited for 2 months but I did not get any reply from HR or recruiter. Finally when I contacted manager, I was told that they had already selected some other candidate. They seriously should learn some professionalism and have the courtesy to give an update to someone who gave 2 onsite interviews. Totally disappointed with the process speed as well communication.

Interview Questions
    • Verilog tasks and functions, FSM Design, FIFO Depth, some system verilog questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Marvell Technology in March 2014.

one phone interview, asked about projects on the resume. Then asked about MESI protocol. Then Onsite interview. There are 5 people. First one asked basic CPU questions, such as 5 stage pipelined CPU. Second one asked me about reorder buffer in the out of order processor and load store queue. Third one asked about waveform questions. The last two asked me about some verilog questions.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marvell Technology in February 2014.

Applied online for several positions in December 2013 and was emailed by the hiring manager after ~ 6 weeks about a Sr. Product Manager position. After a 30 minute amicable phone interview which I passed, the on-site interview at Marvell HQ occurred 1 week later. The on-site interviews were fairly intense: I interviewed with the hiring manager (again) + 4 others for 45 minutes each. The next day, the hiring manager confirmed I had made a good impression but Marvell was in the early stages of their search and need to conduct diligence on several more candidates. This diligence was basically a delay of 5 weeks as they undoubtedly conducted a bunch more interviews with others until I heard back from them and then a second onsite interview for 2 more hours and 3 more people occurred. Each multiple week delay was basically using me as a baseline to see if anyone they liked better came along.

A week after the second on site interview, Marvell insinuated I would be offered the job once I completed Marvell's on-line application, provided pay information form my current employer (even though they had this info. verbally from day #1) and a thorough background & legal/education check of me was processed. But a job was not offered. After 3 more weeks of delays, HR only after a request by me stated 'The team has decided to move forward with another candidate. We will reach out if anything changes.'. That's it- No rationale was given for the decision. Based on Glassdoor reviews by current/former Marvell employees I firmly believe the dismissal of me was due to Marvell not wanting to pay even what I was making at my current employer. The entire process was too lengthy, required multiple days off on my part to travel to them and they offered little feedback in return. To top it all off, Marvell has not yet repaid me the ~$200 reimbursement I submitted 4+ weeks ago nor provided from the background check agency a copy of the legal documentation and review they supported conducted on me - they have my personal information but have not yet provided me a copy of my own information... Marvell's reputation of being cheap on pay and bennies is warranted fully.

Interview Questions
    • A Marketing Director asked me several detailed technical questions about Marvell's PCI-Express based Controllers even though my background was clear that I didn't have heavy depth in this area. After a set of satisfactory answers to his own admission he continued to probe deeper until I guess he received an answer not to his liking. IMO a waste of time to probe this deep on an area the candidate doesn't yet own.   Answer Question

Systems Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marvell Technology in February 2014.

Submit resume on Linkedin and received phone interview about 10 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions about 5-stage Pipeline, Cache Coherence, Out-of-Order processor   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marvell Technology.

I got this job 10 years ago. It was around the dot com bubble. Interview was simple. Different people covered different topics from CMOS design, combinational logic, Verilog, board design, instruments, puzzles, etc. But the process still seemed ad- hoc at that time since it was a small company. The questions were not complicated. I have had other harder interviews.

Interview Questions
    • I found it very simple. So hard to tell. Nothing a college grad would not know. But one question was what happens to the ground when a lot of lines suddenly draw current.   View Answer
    There were no negotiations. I was told the company does not negotiate. Take it or leave it. I needed it. So I took it.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marvell Technology in January 2014.

I was offered 2 phone interview. And then have an onsite interview. They pay for the flight and hotel. Their interviews are quite difficult. In the 1st phone, they asked to describe MESI's all transition on phone. And most question is on CPU design. They asked a lot of implementation details.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot questions on pipeline design. Like how to optimize the overall ipc regarding branch? Is it possible to get branch resolved in decode stage?   Answer Question

ASIC Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marvell Technology in December 2013.

The entire process took about a month. Two phone interviews followed by an onsite interview. Environment was very friendly. Basics of Comp. Arch., Perl, Verilog and OOPs asked.

Logic Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marvell Technology in October 2013.

Campus interview first during the career fair time. Followed by a phone interview one week after and scheduled onsite one week after. I heard back from the HR person after one week of my onsite. Great campus, nice people, fancy cafe.

The CPU group is a mix of design and verification. Average difficulty for the questions, some recruiters are also from the verification team.

Interview Questions
    • How to apply what we learned from school to the current going on project?
      Some verilog coding questions.
      Basic logic design questions.

More on the verilog project we did at school for a RISC processor.

Answer Question