Marshalls

Updated 8 Dec, 2014

1.9

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

One on one interview with assistant manager

Interview Questions
  • Describe a stressful time at a previous job and what you did to overcome it   Answer Question
No negotiation. Starting salary at minimum wage and a possible increase after a year of service

Other Interview Reviews for Marshalls

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marshalls.

When I first came in I called for the manager and was then lead to the side at the back of the store where the manager's offices were at. I sat there with other 1 other person in a white room waiting for the manager to come in. She left and came back with 2 people asking them to take a seat. She asked questions like if we were eligible to work there, etc. Not to many questions really. She then proceeded to hand all of us job applications and to fill them out as honestly as we can. After we were done filling them out, she thanked us and said she will see us on Monday.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marshalls.

I gave in my application to the manager and was told that I look great and he'll call me during the week to schedule and interview, its been a month and he has never called back.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, OH (US)

I applied through other source – interviewed at Marshalls.

They only do paper applications. Had to drop off at the store in person. No chance to talk to the manager. Got a call for a interview. Went in for the interview. The manager asked a few normal interview questions, but he mostly seemed like he liked to just talk. Very conversational.

Normal interview. Some questions about how my experience lined up to the stores model. Was just a conversational type set up. I said the pay was extremely low and that I was disappointed in that. When they called back to say I got the job they said I got 20 cents more than was originally offered. Still a really low pay rate for my level of experience.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Marshalls.

I went into the store and asked one of the supervisors if they were hiring and if I could get an application. I filled it out and brought it back within 20 minutes. I got a call a few MONTHS later (they weren't hiring at the time I gave in the application). The interview was pretty basic (describe what good customer service means to you, define teamwork, etc.) but I got interviewed twice by two different managers, first a man, then a woman. I got a call about three or four days later telling me that I was hired.

Interview Questions
    It's just minimum wage, no wiggle room.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Marshalls.

I filled in the in store application and was called into an interview later that afternoon for a few days later. It was a group interview where a little was asked about our backgrounds and I was given the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any. Very simple customer service type questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Marshalls in October 2014.

I saw a table with a sign that said "Now Hiring" and a stack of applications so I grabbed one and filled it out. I handed it to the cashier and she said the manager would be in later and he would call me. He called me the next afternoon to schedule an interview. I interviewed with the assistant manager who was very friendly and answered all of my questions. He asked me about my customer service experience and discussed my potential within the company since I have a college degree. I provided him a copy of my resume so he just asked a few questions about the details. I asked him more questions than he asked me. He said I would be a great fit there and I accepted the position at the end of the interview. He said he would call me about a date to start as he had to speak with all three work references that I had provided on my application. The next day, as soon as he had spoken with all of them, we scheduled my employee orientation and I got my work schedule. The process took about 4 days and the interview was really just a smooth conversation.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation- all employees start at the same rate and they are firm about this.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marshalls in October 2014.

Applied at Marshall's on SnagAJob, got a call back for an interview about a week later. When I showed up 15 minutes early to my interview I discovered that both myself and the lone man waiting at the entrance had interviews scheduled at the same time; I assumed it was a group interview. Well, it turns out the woman scheduling interviews simply made the mistake of double booking the 9:15am time slot, so it ended up being a 1:1 interview for the two of us. The manager interviewed the man waiting and about 5 minutes later the assistant manager came out and apologized to me for the inconvenience and decided to interview me. If you pass the 1st interview you will immediately be given a 2nd interview (with whichever manager didn't give you the first interview). The 1st and 2nd interview were more or less the same but with the different single question. 1st interview question: Why do you want to work at Marshalls? 2nd interview question: Why did you quit working at your previous job? I was informed that if I didn't receive a call by the end of the week, I didn't receive the position. I am still waiting on my call. Overall a very easy, simple experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why Marshall's? Why did you quit working at your previous job?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marshalls in September 2014.

I applied online and about a week and a half I received a call from the hiring manager to have an interview the very next day. I was first interviewed by the hiring manager in a pretty informal/unprofessional interview. She told me about what their store was all about and that they were looking for seasonal workers. She asked me a few questions and said that they do 2 interviews, so I will have to interview with one of the store manager right after this one. During the 2nd interview, the manager indicated to me that they do call references and if my reference check out, I will hear from them in 4 days if they decide to hire me. Both interviews lasted around 10 mins each and was fairly informal. I'm still waiting for a reply.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty basic.
      Why do you want to work at Marshalls?
      Tell me about yourself.
      How do you deal with a difficult customer?
      Do you have any questions for me?

View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Marshalls in August 2014.

The hiring process was a quick one. The hiring manager was on vacation when i turned in my application but, the following monday i got a call reuesting interview for that tuesday . After the interview she said she would be in touch by the next monday. But, the process was even quicker ! She called me back yesterday 8/20 hiring me on to start part time on wednesday .

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question : What makes you team player ? How would you handle disagreement at work ?   Answer Question