Marshalls Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

1.9

Sales Associate Interview

One on one interview with assistant manager

Interview Questions
    • Describe a stressful time at a previous job and what you did to overcome it   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Starting salary at minimum wage and a possible increase after a year of service

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burlington, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, NJ (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Marshalls in August 2011.

I applied by paper and handed it in the store. I got a call a few days later. The interview was casual and simple and we just had a simple conversation. It wasn't too in-depth and it didn't make me nervous.

Interview Questions
    She told me how much the rate was and that was it. I didn't try to negotiate.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Marshalls in August 2011.

I applied and got a call for the interview the next day. It was only a seasonal hire for the holidays. The interview went well. I got a call back a few days later. I took the offer and after 4 months of being on seasonal, I was an official hire.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic situational "What would you do" type of questions and very customer experience based. What are your streghths and weaknesses; how do you handle stress, etc.   Answer Question
    Very simple. They are very flexible and willing to work around your start time.

Any Available Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Marshalls in September 2014.

It was my first interview EVER so I was really nervous, I practiced what I was going to say after reviewing this website. The Manager was very friendly & talkative. He totally made me feel welcomed & comfortable. We disscussed Marshall's background & briefly talked about the main rules. Honestly guys I only got asked one question. The rest was more of a conversation. He asked me to talk about myself & my futute goals. Very easy, nothing complicated. Just relax & be yourself. Let them see the real you & they'll take you in for that.

Interview Questions
    • Rate the customer from "Least Important" to "Most Important" .
      Customer #1: Walks in store to cool off the heat outside, buys nothing.
      Customer #2: Walks in to buy something refreshing to drink, does not look around at all.
      Customer #3: your regular customer, spends from $500-$1,000
      Customer #4: your true customer, spends from $1,000-$5,000+.
        View Answer
    No negotiations. I'm starting with $9.00 an hour, not bad for me. My first job so I'm not complaining. I was told my salary will increase as I have more time with Marshalls.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Marshalls in August 2014.

The hiring process was a quick one. The hiring manager was on vacation when i turned in my application but, the following monday i got a call reuesting interview for that tuesday . After the interview she said she would be in touch by the next monday. But, the process was even quicker ! She called me back yesterday 8/20 hiring me on to start part time on wednesday .

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question : What makes you team player ? How would you handle disagreement at work ?   Answer Question

Shoes Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cape May Court House, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cape May Court House, NJ (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Marshalls in July 2012.

1 interview, got the job. Not many hours, and minimum wage is what was offered. Some work is better than no work was my response. I also said that my first sales position was for Kinney Shoes in the early 80's. I thought it quite ironic that my life had come full circle.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about working for minimum wage?   View Answer
    I didn't even try to negotiate; I thought I was locked in to the minimal wage. I sort of froze up, but this experience has made me be more aware for future negotiations.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marshalls.

First I filled out the application. Then I got a call back after a few weeks. I had actually forgot I applied for the job by the time they called me back. I set up an interview which went perfectly. He asked me the usual questions. I was studying engineering at the time and he was concerned I was over qualified at the time and was confused as to why I wanted the job, but I was honest and told him I needed money to pay for books and he respected that. I was hired and then started training shortly after the interview. The work environment I actually did not like at all, because everyone was rude. I can understand rude customers, but the employees were rude as well. I'm not saying all Marshalls have rude employees though. It could have just been my location. The store was always a mess too no matter how much you put clothes back where they belong someone always takes it back down and the employees don't put clothes back correctly either. I also worked in the dressing room giving people numbers. I never worked on the register. I was either on the floor organizing or in the dressing room. I liked working in the dressing room because it was quiet and I had control to keep it organized. It was peaceful back there most of the time too.

Interview Questions
    • My unexpected question was when he said "Well I see here your studying engineering? I'm confused as to why do you want to work here?"   View Answer
    I didn't have to negotiate he offered me a slightly higher hourly pay.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Marshalls.

Had a over the phone interview, interview with the store manager, final with the district manager. After the interview with district manager I thought I had the job. I had to email the HR office 16 days later just find out they moved on to other candidates. Very very unprofessional.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Marshalls in July 2014.

Short easy interview (more like a conversation) with the assistant manager. Apply in person, it helps a lot. My interviewer was impress when I brought my resume in with me.

Interview Questions

Got a better paying job.

Manager Interview

it was okay from the start. I interviewed with several people aboutmy past. The process wasn't that bad. They do background checks and things like that. I was given an offer within 2 weeks of my first interview.

Interview Questions

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!