Marshalls Interview Questions

Updated 18 Oct, 2014
Updated 18 Oct, 2014

1.9

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I had dropped off my resume at a carer fair and honestly had completely forgot about it so the call asking me for an interview was a nice surprise. The interview was pretty standard, she had questions on a sheet and she was just recording my answer, I felt like I was being repetitive because I had only had one job before and a lot of the questions were work experience related. Overall, it was easy and she said she'd call my references, and if that went well, she'd call me to set up when I start.

Sales Associate Interview

One on one interview with assistant manager

Interview Questions
    • Describe a stressful time at a previous job and what you did to overcome it   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Starting salary at minimum wage and a possible increase after a year of service

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, OH (US)

I applied through other source – interviewed at Marshalls.

They only do paper applications. Had to drop off at the store in person. No chance to talk to the manager. Got a call for a interview. Went in for the interview. The manager asked a few normal interview questions, but he mostly seemed like he liked to just talk. Very conversational.

Normal interview. Some questions about how my experience lined up to the stores model. Was just a conversational type set up. I said the pay was extremely low and that I was disappointed in that. When they called back to say I got the job they said I got 20 cents more than was originally offered. Still a really low pay rate for my level of experience.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Marshalls.

I went into the store and asked one of the supervisors if they were hiring and if I could get an application. I filled it out and brought it back within 20 minutes. I got a call a few MONTHS later (they weren't hiring at the time I gave in the application). The interview was pretty basic (describe what good customer service means to you, define teamwork, etc.) but I got interviewed twice by two different managers, first a man, then a woman. I got a call about three or four days later telling me that I was hired.

Interview Questions
    It's just minimum wage, no wiggle room.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Marshalls.

I filled in the in store application and was called into an interview later that afternoon for a few days later. It was a group interview where a little was asked about our backgrounds and I was given the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any. Very simple customer service type questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marshalls in October 2014.

Applied at Marshall's on SnagAJob, got a call back for an interview about a week later. When I showed up 15 minutes early to my interview I discovered that both myself and the lone man waiting at the entrance had interviews scheduled at the same time; I assumed it was a group interview. Well, it turns out the woman scheduling interviews simply made the mistake of double booking the 9:15am time slot, so it ended up being a 1:1 interview for the two of us. The manager interviewed the man waiting and about 5 minutes later the assistant manager came out and apologized to me for the inconvenience and decided to interview me. If you pass the 1st interview you will immediately be given a 2nd interview (with whichever manager didn't give you the first interview). The 1st and 2nd interview were more or less the same but with the different single question. 1st interview question: Why do you want to work at Marshalls? 2nd interview question: Why did you quit working at your previous job? I was informed that if I didn't receive a call by the end of the week, I didn't receive the position. I am still waiting on my call. Overall a very easy, simple experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why Marshall's? Why did you quit working at your previous job?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Marshalls in October 2014.

I saw a table with a sign that said "Now Hiring" and a stack of applications so I grabbed one and filled it out. I handed it to the cashier and she said the manager would be in later and he would call me. He called me the next afternoon to schedule an interview. I interviewed with the assistant manager who was very friendly and answered all of my questions. He asked me about my customer service experience and discussed my potential within the company since I have a college degree. I provided him a copy of my resume so he just asked a few questions about the details. I asked him more questions than he asked me. He said I would be a great fit there and I accepted the position at the end of the interview. He said he would call me about a date to start as he had to speak with all three work references that I had provided on my application. The next day, as soon as he had spoken with all of them, we scheduled my employee orientation and I got my work schedule. The process took about 4 days and the interview was really just a smooth conversation.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation- all employees start at the same rate and they are firm about this.

Any Available Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Marshalls in September 2014.

It was my first interview EVER so I was really nervous, I practiced what I was going to say after reviewing this website. The Manager was very friendly & talkative. He totally made me feel welcomed & comfortable. We disscussed Marshall's background & briefly talked about the main rules. Honestly guys I only got asked one question. The rest was more of a conversation. He asked me to talk about myself & my futute goals. Very easy, nothing complicated. Just relax & be yourself. Let them see the real you & they'll take you in for that.

Interview Questions
    • Rate the customer from "Least Important" to "Most Important" .
      Customer #1: Walks in store to cool off the heat outside, buys nothing.
      Customer #2: Walks in to buy something refreshing to drink, does not look around at all.
      Customer #3: your regular customer, spends from $500-$1,000
      Customer #4: your true customer, spends from $1,000-$5,000+.
        View Answer
    No negotiations. I'm starting with $9.00 an hour, not bad for me. My first job so I'm not complaining. I was told my salary will increase as I have more time with Marshalls.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marshalls in September 2014.

I applied online and about a week and a half I received a call from the hiring manager to have an interview the very next day. I was first interviewed by the hiring manager in a pretty informal/unprofessional interview. She told me about what their store was all about and that they were looking for seasonal workers. She asked me a few questions and said that they do 2 interviews, so I will have to interview with one of the store manager right after this one. During the 2nd interview, the manager indicated to me that they do call references and if my reference check out, I will hear from them in 4 days if they decide to hire me. Both interviews lasted around 10 mins each and was fairly informal. I'm still waiting for a reply.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty basic.
      Why do you want to work at Marshalls?
      Tell me about yourself.
      How do you deal with a difficult customer?
      Do you have any questions for me?
        View Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marshalls.

First I filled out the application. Then I got a call back after a few weeks. I had actually forgot I applied for the job by the time they called me back. I set up an interview which went perfectly. He asked me the usual questions. I was studying engineering at the time and he was concerned I was over qualified at the time and was confused as to why I wanted the job, but I was honest and told him I needed money to pay for books and he respected that. I was hired and then started training shortly after the interview. The work environment I actually did not like at all, because everyone was rude. I can understand rude customers, but the employees were rude as well. I'm not saying all Marshalls have rude employees though. It could have just been my location. The store was always a mess too no matter how much you put clothes back where they belong someone always takes it back down and the employees don't put clothes back correctly either. I also worked in the dressing room giving people numbers. I never worked on the register. I was either on the floor organizing or in the dressing room. I liked working in the dressing room because it was quiet and I had control to keep it organized. It was peaceful back there most of the time too.

Interview Questions
    • My unexpected question was when he said "Well I see here your studying engineering? I'm confused as to why do you want to work here?"   View Answer
    I didn't have to negotiate he offered me a slightly higher hourly pay.