Marcus & Millichap

Updated 10 Nov, 2014
Updated 10 Nov, 2014

2.5

Commercial Real Estate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Easy sit down interview. Tried to drill me on my education and experience, but it was actually a test to see how easily I could respond to pressure. Ended up talking to the interviewer about absolutely random things such as famous individuals, educational methods, and cultural differences between the United States and Canada.

Interview Questions
    • What was your GPA in university, does it represent your ability?   Answer Question

Lack of base salary

Agent Assistant Interview

Applied online, received a call within a few days. Agent asked why Marcus & Millichap and if I one day wanted to pursue RE license, and if I wanted to one day become an agent in the office.

Financial Analyst/Agent Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Applied and received an quick email response the following day for me to call a phone number. I called the number multiple times throughout the next few days with no response. A month later received another email to set up an interview. The interview went well. They offered and I declined the low offer.

Low offer

SIP Investment Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in September 2014.

Went in fro 4 interview very repetitive. Want to see you have an interest and passion for real estate. What you know about real estate and why you want to get into it. Working directly under a senior broker you don't get to choose. John Horowitz is the regional manager and you must show your excitement to him don't hide emotions

Interview Questions

didn't like person I would be working under

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Entry-level position that requires little to no experience. I was interviewed by one of their Regional Managers. Began with a simple resume walkthrough and questions about interest in commercial real estate. This job is 100% commission based, and you are required to participate in their 3 month training program which YOU have to pay almost $2000 to do. Coming in with little to no experience, you will not make a single dime for a period on at least 8-12 months.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to sell off your stocks and other investments to support yourself during the 8-12 month period where you would be making no money?   Answer Question

Due to it being 100% commission based, and having to pay almost $2000 for a training program created too much financial risk. Also, I was asked personal questions about how much I had in savings and investments. The Regional Manager asked if I would be willing to sell off my stocks I own to support myself during this time period. This was a ridiculous request in my opinion, and creates a large amount of risk for someone who is fresh out of college and trying to support themselves.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in May 2014.

Resume screening straight to in-person interview. Didn't have a phone interview. Questions only on very basic real estate knowledge and more on attitude/career goals. Had to take an excel test later but it was very basic, no real estate related formulas or anything. Skills for the job were described as easily learned and they didn't seem too fixed on any particular skill set coming in.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just basic (biggest strength/weakness type stuff).   Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in May 2014.

It was extremely easy. I applied online. The first interview was a phone call to see how interested you were in real estate. The next interview was in person with the office manager. The third interview was with the regional manager. 4th interview was to tell me they wanted to hire me.

Interview Questions
    • None. Was a casual conversation to make sure you are interested in real estate and that you are okay working on commission only.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Typical sales job by the District Manager, smoozing the agent, with no detail and then hit them with reality after they've moved your license over. There were details of my job that were not in the employment contract. This caused friction for the next year and half and never got resolved.

Interview Questions
    • None really, except how much did you make at your highest point   View Answer
    Back and forth for a week.

Intern Interview

Very Straight forward. Found opportunity online, sent in resume, interview set up the following week. Received word 1 business day later

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Nice people very chill interview. Submitted my resume and they called the same day.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing to out of the ordinary. I think the most important thing is that they have a feel for how serious you are about working in the industry.   Answer Question