Macy's

Updated 25 Nov, 2014
2,865 Interview Reviews

2.3

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

The interviewing process wasn't really all that difficult. For the First interview it was just the basics : "Tell me about a time when..." and "How would you handle this situation". I got called back for a second interview, but they told me the position was filled and offered me another position instead which was great.

Interview Questions
    • How would you make a customer feel better if they're feeling guilty about leaving the store without buying anything?   View Answer

Holiday Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

Applied to Macy's online during the holidays, was called for a phone interview and got hired right on the spot. The lady who interviewed me was very friendly. Always greet the interviewer politely, ask how they are doing before the interview. She begin to explain that she was going to ask me a series of questions. I have never been in retail before but I came well-prepared for the questions. She asked me around 9 questions: 1. Q: Why Macy's?
    A: It's a long-standing company with a good reputation. There's a lot of opportunities for upward mobility.
    Notes: That's all you need. She said that answer was great.
    2. Q: Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.
    A: Well, sometimes people are in a hurry when they are shopping, so I would be sure to tell them that it's a very quick process. They would get all of the discounts without having to present a coupon. It's very convenient to check the balance online whenever internet is available. Also, there is no need for a receipt when you return an item, no matter how long ago it was to purchase the item.
    Notes: She said this answer was fabulous and explained a little more about the credit card.
    3. Q: Tell me about a time when someone you worked with did something you knew was wrong, how you handled it, and what was the outcome?
    Notes: I explained to her a story about my previous job as a hostess at Texas Roadhouse. I told her that after we were finished with our shift we had to sweep the corral before we left to go home. One girl didn't sweep and I notified the manager so she wouldn't do that again. He told her that it wasn't right, and she's swept ever since. (The example doesn't have to be a great important story)
    4. Q: Explain to me an example of when you were on a team, what was your role, and what was the outcome?
    5. Q: Were you ever working in an area that was always constantly changing?
    6. Q: Tell me how you would greet a customer and assist them.
    A: I would smile and be polite and ask them how they were doing. I would ask them what they were looking for and how I could be a help.
    7. Q: If someone came in needing a pair of jeans, what kind of questions would you ask them?
    A: I would ask them what kind of brand they were looking for, what style, what length (pants, capris, shorts).
    8. Q: How would you upscale the jeans into a bigger purchase?
    A: I would say, Oh you know you need a shirt for those jeans to tie it all-together (interviewer loved that answer). I would then proceed to show them some accessories and shoes to go along with it.
    9. Q: How would you celebrate a purchase?
    A: I would tell them to "have a nice day" or "see you tomorrow!". Also, comment on how great that outfit will look on them.
    Notes: Something to flatter them.

Interview Questions
    • 2. Q: Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.(VERY IMPORTANT)
      Q: How would you upscale the jeans into a bigger purchase?
        Answer Question

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's.

The interview was simple and the person interviewing was very kind. She asked about previous jobs and why I'd had left. We made small talk and we had a few laughs. It was very forward and fast.

Interview Questions
    • Was there a time when you had to make a difficult choice? What did you do and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's.

I searched on Indeed.com and found an opening for a seasonal associate at Macys, I received an email 3 days later telling me to schedule my interview, I just did the interview yesterday (Friday, November 21st, 2014) at 3:30pm. I got there 30 minutes early and waited with 2 other people. I got called in around 3:15, (I highly suggest getting their early) and was greeted with a handshake and eye contact. He said they were under construction, so he had to pull two chairs from a separate room into a closet type room and kept apologized for it being so small and kept saying "This feels weird" (kind of unprofessional) but anywho, he read my application quickly and then went on to the questions which were read of a sheet, (about 9 questions) he wrote them down and I definitely stumbled over my answers which but he said I can take my time, no rush. He then said "Okay I will be right back". A hiring manager then came in who was very talkative and did most of the talking and asked me a few questions here and there. Very easy. He told me he could see me selling men's clothing and that he actually needs to fill permanent commission based position. He asked if I could see myself trying to meet a goal, I said "The pressure of having to meet a goal would give me more motivation which would definitely help me learn faster". He likes that answer. He then asked my availability, which I think is really all their looking for, people who can show up to work any day, any time. I was then taken to a different room where a woman printed out a paper for me with dates of my training pay (8.25) and regular pay (9.50 with commission) she joked and said "Wow you already got a raise". I think he liked that I was really listening to him and smiled a lot.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the Macys credit card and how will you go about selling one?   View Answer
    No negotiation, I was happy with the starting pay since I have no sales experience.

Merchant Office Assistant Interview

First interview with HR, first half was behavioral questions, second was retail math exam. The basics, not difficult. Second was interview with who the boss would have been about past experience in field.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time that you had to solve a problem using numbers   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I was contacted very quickly. The person interviewing me was extremely polite and straight to the point with duties and responsibilities that were expected. While there was very little room to negociate the pay rate, it was a pay that was pretty standard.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions that were asked were that of what one is to expect, working with others, handling responsibilities, etc. There wasn’t anything too difficult to answer.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's.

I applied online and within 3 days they sent me an email saying that I had to schedule my own interview. I scheduled the interview for the next day at 11am. The interview lasted about 30 minutes but there were soooo many questions. There were 15 questions, all of which can be found here on glassdoor. The interview was pretty boring, after I answered all the questions the woman left for about 15 minutes. She came back and asked if I could come back Thursday to interview again with the shoe department head. So now I am awaiting how that interview will go. I'm confused why there needs to be 2 interviews for a seasonal sales associate position, oh well.

Interview Questions
    • The only question I didn't have a good example planned for was "Name a time when you helped out someone else with a problem, how did you resolve it"   Answer Question

Cosmetic Sales Interview

I have a second interview this week. The first interview went very well. The manager said she liked me and wanted to know if I was willing to work in different departments. I said I was more than willing. She then said she would contact me for a second interview.

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

I applied online and the next day I got an email saying I got an interview! I scheduled my interview for two weeks later. It was very easy and quick! I got there 15 mins. early and waited until my interview time. It took about 30 min. A lot of "describe a time when.." questions! Nothing too hard to handle!

Store Management Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Macy's.

Started with an on-campus recruiter at a career fair. There's a phone interview with the recruiter and than a skype interview with an HR manager. Interview consists of behavioral questions. There aren't too many interviews to go through. At most it's only three interviews, but on average people go through two interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was what do you expect to contribute to the position   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate, but I received an hourly wage of $15 an hour