Macy's

2,501 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Merchandiser Interview

Merchandiser

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in August 2011.

Interview Details It was simple.

Negotiation Details – their stuck on paying $8.00 per hour

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Trumbull, CT (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in June 2012.

Interview Details it was a simple interview with a manager. typical interview questions. seasonal position for students. interview process was short an to the point lasting only about 30 minutes. they go over several basic questions with you, typical interview questions.

Interview Question – how to market the Macy's card to a customer   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor (Part-time) Interview

Beauty Advisor (Part-time)
Denver, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and received an invitation for an interview via email. Very easy process. Picked a time online that worked, and came in to interview with HR. He asked very basic questions and it lasted only 15 minutes. He said he liked my experience and would pass my resume on to the cosmetics manager. I was invited back a few days later to interview with her and she said she really liked me and I was what they were looking for because she liked my sales background - even though I had no cosmetics experience. Same type of questions, nothing difficult - standard questions. A week later I was interviewed with the brand manager. This one lasted 2 hours. An hour with him and I got grilled. Then he softened up and started to like me, so I knew it was heading in a good direction. He then brought me down to the counter. I was then interviewed by the counter manager and someone else associated with the brand but I forget what she does. They really liked me and offered me the job right after. I was able to negotiate a better base and I'm satisfied. Base plus 3% commission - and very happy with it. Everyone was super nice. Just be confident and you have to sell yourself. It was harder than I thought to get a beauty advisor job but I like the flexibility of the hours. Weekends are required.

Interview Question – All very standard: name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer; how comfortable are you working on a team; are you comfortable working for commission; can you work nights and weekends   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offered me a base. I asked for 3 extra dollars per hour. He said he couldn't go that high. I said I would meet them in the middle. I was offered $1.50 extra per hour.

SALES CLERK Interview

SALES CLERK
Reno, NV (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in June 2010.

Interview Details I was called in for an interview. Once I arrived, I participated in a group interview. After the group interview concluded, they selected me for a 1 on 1 interview. I was asked the standard questions. What is your greatest asset as an employee? What are your weaknesses? Why did you apply to Macy's? Do you have sales experience?

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Insufficient # of hours

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
Niles, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details . i had the interview on 23rd of july 2014. the interview was really easy and on the spot they hired me .Also told me to attend the training on 25th and 26th of july ,2014 and the next day onwards i started my job. there was prior experience on this position for me as my subject was different.

Negotiation Details – be calm and tell whatever you like.

Syracuse, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details I had a one on one interview with a store manager in a small room in the Human Resources department of the store. She had a paper with the questions she was going to ask and boxes where she would write in my answers. The first question she asked was why I wanted to work for Macy's. As I started to answer, her phone went off. She answered it and I guess it was an employee that needed help. She said she had to go deal with the problem, as all the other managers were in a meeting or something. She was gone for at least ten minutes! After that I pretty much knew that I did not want to work there. Something to keep in mind is that the interview is not only for the employer to see if you would be a good fit for their company, but also for you to decide if it's a company you truly want to commit your time to. Once she came back, the whole process felt rushed. The questions were very easy and basic: "How would you encourage customers to sign up for a Macy's card? Explain your role in a past team project." As we were finishing up the interview, her phone rang again. We ended with a quick, "Nice to meet you." as she rushed off again. One of the requirements for this position is that you must have total open availability Friday-Sunday. I explained to her that that just wasn't possible for me because I'm a college student that will have many other responsibilities, like homework and volunteer work, once the semester starts back up. I want to say that's why I wasn't offered a position, but it could have also been that she didn't think I was the right candidate. I would have to say this was the worst interview I've been on. Not saying it was totally horrific, but it was definitely the least professional one I've been on.

Interview Question – She asked me something like, "Tell me about a time from one of my previous jobs when there was a service or product that a customer wanted that we didn't have anymore and how I substituted it with something else."   View Answer

On-Call Sales Associate Interview

On-Call Sales Associate

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details Applied online. Got email back to schedule interview. Interview was not difficult. Asked about experience in working in retail. Also, asked situational questions and what you would do during such situation.

Interview Question – What qualifications would make you an ideal candidate for this position   Answer Question

New Castle, DE (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online then did personality test. I later got an email to schedule an interview which I did. I went, the interviewer was courteus and informative. I the interview went very well until the hours I need to work came up. I said I was fine but she did not believe me.

Interview Question – I f I will work 3 weekends a week full shift and more during the holidays   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in October 2010.

Interview Details Most interviews take less then 30 min. and they do almost all communication by email so don't call the store because they will direct you to check your email this should include your spam because sometimes it goes there. Unless they want you to interview with a manager from another department or your interviewing for a beauty consultant it is a one interview process. Most offers are made at the end of that first interview unless they need to second and you should get an email with in a week of the interview letting you know the hiring managers decision.

Interview Question – They often ask you to sell them a product by role playing and this can happen in he office or out on the sales floor.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – A lot of selling positions start at min. wage. If you have a couple years or you want them to match what your current employer is paying you then you must ask t the time they make an offer. Raises are on performance based yearly and not that big if you don't move up.

Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details You submit an application online and they have you fill out a 100 question questionare that asks you about work ethic, and how you respond in certain situations. They say there are no right or wrong answers on the test. Allow yourself some time to take the quiz, it takes about a half hour. I got a call back within a week of taking the online questionaire.

Interview Question – Why Macy's as opposed to another large department store. The questions were very straight forward. They ask you about your prevous work experience, how you get along with others, and ask you to pretend to "sell" an item to them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, they offer you the job on the spot and kind of force it upon you.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!