Macy's

2.1

37 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in December 2014.

The interview went really well. The person who interviewed me was very nice and energetic. She asked basic questions. Such as why Macy's? How are you with people etc. She also asked a lot of scenario questions. After the interview she left and then came back into the room within a matter of minutes and offered me an open position. Overall the experience was great.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you used teamwork to achieve a task?   Answer Question
    • If you just sold jeans to a customer how would get them to come back next time?   Answer Question
    Very fast. Minimum wage. Macy's discount. Must have open availability Saturday and Sunday.

Visual Merchandising Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I had been wanting to get into visual merchandising for a long time so when I got the call for an interview I was so excited! The day of the interview I couldn't have been more prepared and I drove an hour away to get there. Obviously that's how bad I wanted the job, anyways I drove all that way just to hear them say the position was filled. I never have been so disappointed. I understand they may have had other interviews, but they don't take the time to interview everyone and then decide? And they couldn't have called me ahead of time to let me know? They took the time to call and schedule an interview? They just told me to apply for other positions, but they were positions I wasn't interested in. I did get a second call from a different location and got to interview with them and it went great! Very comfortable and nice people. It was more than one person so it made me nervous at first, but talking with them made me feel right at home.

AST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

My interview was filled with surprised as I interviewed with 3 supervisors- the 1st in which after perusing my résumé felt there were two other positions more suitable than the one I was there to interview for. The final interview was with the HR Director. I was offered the AST position. The interview process was a very positive one.

Interview Questions
    A negotiation phase was not required.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in September 2014.

I applied online and got an invitation to schedule an appointment and did for the following day. When I arrived the first thing I noticed was the smell... it smelled like urine, the carpet was dirty and there were boxes everywhere. The receptionist asked for my name and said I was not on the "list", after ten minutes, she said that Carlos was on his way. Five minutes later a guy came to the reception and grab some papers, said hi Ms. My Name and started walking, I had to assumed that he was Carlos and followed him to his office. He closed the door and ask me to take a sit (chair was dirty), he had candy wrappers everywhere... anyways, after 30 seconds of silence (while he looked at my application) he said, "Yeah no, that's a problem". I said, "I'm sorry?", he said, "your schedule, that's a problem. I'm sorry". End of interview. I wasted my lunch hour to go to this interview. This people don't look at your application beforehand and don't even bother to make any eye contact.
    Very unprofessional.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macy's in September 2014.

I was contacted to interview for a Asst. Store manager position at a store farther away even though I applied for one here in my City. The manager said it wasn't available but they did have a sales manager position there. I agreed to interview for that one 2 days later.
    I arrived early and took a stroll around the entire store ready to be able to critique it when asked (any experienced hiring manager should ask that question to a prospective sales manager). I was very early so I headed upstairs where I overheard my hiring manager talking to another manager about a "cute Hispanic girl" she just interviewed and she loved her energy and that she wanted THAT girl (and she asked the other manager "don't you agree?!")
    I should have just walked out at that point because I knew this woman would not be open to my interview or the answers I had... I spent the first 10 minutes describing how I single handedly brought together various people together to work on a project I created for the City and the less fortunate families, which just so happen to include the store manager from another sister store. Focusing on my ability to not only identify a problem, observe the situation, come up with a solution and implement that solution by working as a team (obviously as the leader of such team)
    She then said "oh, I see that you worked in an office... You don't work very often with people do you".
    Very frustrating. I felt this woman was completely closed off and didn't hear a word I said. Worse, she asked nothing about my positions (one is pretty impressive) and nothing about my education (one of my degrees happen to be social studies, concentrating on Psychology) I understand how people think and how they will react to situations.
    She had no creative questions, they were all pre-printed in front of her. One of the questions was where do I see myself 5 years from now. Obviously I told her that I'd like to be given increasing responsibility hopefully within this company, learning every facet I can in order to move up to store manager. I mentioned that I appreciated the opportunity to have interviewed for the other position as store asst manager at X mall where she flat out lied to my face saying she never mentioned it. (Did I pull that information out of the air then?)
    I understand that hiring managers usually look for applicants that closely mirror themselves, and in this instance it's a shame, she will end up hiring that girl and they will continue with the status quo at that store. You should always strive to surround yourself with those that would make you and the company successful... And not worry about who might be too good and take over your job.
    I've interviewed for management in this company before and am well aware of the practices. You interview with one person, then they stick you in a room and interview with the 2nd. She said on a Friday afternoon during our interview that the next round of interviews were being held Monday and then let me walk out the door. (Have a nice day!)

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years   View Answer
    • What do you do about conflict
      (This should have been "how do you handle conflict between 2 associates")

View Answer
    • What type of manager do you think you will be.   View Answer
    • What do you know about this company   View Answer

Loss Prevention Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

HR person called and then they rescheduled. After rescheduled called and started explaining why the last interview didn't happen. Then HR asked why I didn't check the overnight button? I told the store is closed at 9 pm. HR told me there is some overnight work involved. Sounds like a lie to me. I told him applied for the shifts I could work days and evenings. HR then said your not needed and refused the interview !! That is it...

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Humble, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Humble, TX (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's.

Interview was uneventful. Basic questions about style and selling. I was called in and interviewed by the floor manager for my dept and was offered the job immediately after the interview. Everyone seemed really pleasant and welcoming. The manager that interviewed me seemed to pause and glare at times which was strange and mildly uncomfortable.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to tell in detail about my most challenging customer service customer.   View Answer
    non-negotiable offer although I was informed of opportunities to win cash via store selling contests for highest sales for the month

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Applied online...Got an e-mail two days later about an interview....Interviewed the next day and was hired on the spot. They was pretty much hiring those who was available without too much looking into retail experience. Interview questions was done from a sheet....The lady seemed more interested in my availability while asking the typical interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you caught a co-worker doing something wrong and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

There was an Initial Interview with a 30 minute behavioral interview and a 30 minute case study interview where they gave you a situation that had 4 different employee's and their sales plans and actual accomplishments for the period. You have to choose which employee you would focus your attention on and say why they need the attention. The second round interview was at the regional office. The first day is an informational day and the second day consists of 2 one on one interviews, one individual assignment much like the case study from the initial interview but instead you had to look at different departments and choose which 3 departments you would focus on and why. Then there is a group activity with the same parameters as the individual one but instead, each person is assigned a department, you are told that the company has a new full time position being added and you have to fight for your department to get the position. In the end you have to come together as a group and decide which department needs it the most.

Executive Development Store Management Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

I applied online and was contacted about a month later by a recruiter. The first interview was a 30 min behavioral interview. A couple days later I was asked to interview with another recruiter by webcam--this interview was also behavioral.

After my first two interviews, I received an email about a week after inviting me to Macy's "On-Site" interview--the final round. This interview lasted two days and consisted of 4 interviews: two behavioral interviews, a one-on-one interview, and also a group interview. Be sure to be knowledgeable about Macy's key marketing strategies!

After the final round interviews, I was contacted less than a week later with an offer. The entire process took about a month.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were behavioral so make sure to have 5-10 examples showcasing your leadership skills.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because the starting salary is great for a recent college grad.