MSC Industrial Direct Interview Questions

Updated 18 Jul, 2014
Updated 18 Jul, 2014

2.9

Verifyer Checker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fernley, NV (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fernley, NV (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in July 2014.

Takes a long time to get hired on, I'm on my 3rd week now and still not confirmed hire. It's ok though, they should do a good job on investigating potential employees.

Interview Questions
    • Previous employment and solidifying dates with companies   View Answer
    No negotiation. It is what it is.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Recruiter call, phone interview, face to face interview with Branch Manager, phone interview with Market Manager. Background and credit rating check, but no drug test. They want metal working experience when they can get it - those with it will be ranked as more valuable. New trend os to hire younger people with less experience and low ball on salary with a Ford Focus. Experience is not valued. They are now trying to be like Fastenal, not MSC.

Messy, they tried lowballing on salary. Ask for what you want or you won't get much.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melville, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview process was good in the 90's They actually spoke to you and treated you like a human being not a number

Interview Questions
    • didn't really ask a difficult question   View Answer

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melville, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

We typically have the OSA (Outside Sales Associate) meet with Recruiting, then Recruiting and the hiring manager. Depending about the accounts and territory, perhaps a third round with interested parties.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer how you will generate new business.   View Answer
    I've been with MSC for a number of years.
    I'm a hiring manager and I do not negotiate all that much.

National Accounts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Was contacted by 3rd party recruiter, went through MSC's process which took literally 11 weeks. Including a 3 hour skills assessment test and phone call with a NYC Psychologist.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me 2 things that are not on your resume that should be.   Answer Question

Management Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Davidson, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Process took 4+ months. Initial phone screening interview with HR Recruiter followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Then no communication, i tried to get feedback on progress from recruiter, got the standard line of "we'll get back to you when any decision has been made". Asked to have a few more phone interviews with seemingly random people. Between each interview I had to chase the company for results, next steps and general trying to keep on their radar. Requested that I complete an application form but that had already been done a month before (great paperwork tracking system, not! - this should have been an early warning flag for me). Then 'radio silence' for 2 months, I actually thought that I had been dropped as I couldn't get any response from the internal recruiter.

Final interviews at HQ and were organized very poorly. I was told to arrive at 10am, but when I got there my first interview was scheduled at noon so I had to sit in the building foyer for two hours. The interviews themselves were pretty standard and all the interviewers were very positive about my skills and experience. Then never heard from the company. I contacted them weekly for four weeks asking for an update, eventually I gave up. When they finally got back to me I was told that they were going to repost the position with some different job tasks.

MSC is clearly internally disorganized and has difficulties executing on decisions. I should have listened to my gut early on and not wasted 5 months.

Management Postion Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Phone Interview with HR and the following week with the hiring manager.
    No communication for 6 weeks (thought they moved on)…
    Got an email from HR asking for application to be filled out (even though had already sent it) and that I take a management assessment test.
    Followed up 4 weeks later by onsite interview, all day, 8-9 interview sessions, a little overboard but all pretty standard. Very positive feedback from interviewers, very positive feedback from HR.
    Never heard from company again, not one word good or bad. Professional courtesy would dictate you thank someone for the considerable amount of their time you wasted and let them know you are going in another direction!
    This company clearly has issues making decisions and executing, can’t imagine how hard it would be to actually accomplished something there.

Interview Questions
    • Management Assessment - Pretty standard IQ, management aptitude and personality tests (outdated though). Interview with Psychologist was a joke, he seemed more interested in what I currently earn then assessing ‘my personality’ and he had a tantrum when I questioned why he was asking certain things. Most unprofessional conversation I have had as part of an interview.   Answer Question

Driver Interview

Submitted by temp agency, shot interview and drug test and I got the job

Senior Manager Digital Marketing Interview

Very lengthy phone interview that appeared to be more about the the HR person proving that she knew the marketing industry.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were fairly granular, but nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Java Developer III Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in October 2013.

Initial HR round, followed by technical phone screen and then a final on-site interview with 3 to 4 people.

Interview Questions
    • Why would make method arguments final?   View Answer
    They were not very willing negotiate, It was more like take it or leave it.
    They ended making a very decent offer, so I accepted.

Worked for MSC Industrial Direct? Contribute to the Community!