MSC Industrial Direct

Updated 11 Dec, 2014
Updated 11 Dec, 2014

2.9

Process Improvement Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interviewed multiple ways, via phone and face-to-face, (total of 8 interviews), Interviewed with HR, hiring manager (several times), interviewed with three other managers, interviewed by VP and hiring manager again. HR reviewed the benefits on last interview. Process was long and time consuming. No regard for interviewers time.

Internal Audit Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Several phone interviews with various managers in the department. Interviews lasted approximately 30 minutes to an hour. Some repetitive questions asked by different managers. Straight forward questions about my experience along with some questions regarding team building, etc.

Verifyer Checker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fernley, NV (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fernley, NV (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in July 2014.

Takes a long time to get hired on, I'm on my 3rd week now and still not confirmed hire. It's ok though, they should do a good job on investigating potential employees.

Interview Questions
    • Previous employment and solidifying dates with companies   View Answer
    No negotiation. It is what it is.

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in July 2014.

I was contacted by an external recruiter about a Director position at MSC in North Carolina. The overall process took 4 months and I interviewed with about 10-12 people. 3 of the interviews were with HR representatives. Overall the process was structured like interviews in other large companies, but there were some warning signs along the way: (1) job title and job level was not in line with everybody else reporting to the hiring manager, this position was 2 levels below peers (2) HR interviews were primarily focused on disciplining under-performing employees (3) Nobody would give a true representation of what the company is like, everything was great. I personally prefer to get a honest idea of what is going on, so I know what I walk into (4) Long times between interviews (5) the personality testing and review with an industrial psychologist was very repetitive and even though some standard tests were used, there was a strong focus about depression/suicidal tendencies/daydreaming. The supervisory questionnaire again focused on dealing with under-performing employees. (5) I traveled to North Carolina for a second round of interviews. They were all conducted through video conferences with New York. No personal interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you have a stellar employee who has been a high performer for a long time and she suddenly starts to fail what would you do?   Answer Question

Payroll Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in July 2014.

This position was in the Davidson, NC office.
    First point of contact after submitting my resume was from a recruiter in New York just to pre-screen. The next day, another call from the same recruiter to schedule a phone interview with one of the hiring managers the following day. Two days later, an interview with a slew of people in the Davidson office. Two who were physically in Davidson, and four people in New York via video conference.
    All of them were nice enough, though only one was directly related to Payroll. The next closest would be an HR person (to discuss benefits mostly) and an Accounts Payable Manager. This seemed a little odd.

Though the interview seemed to go well, I did not get a second interview. After following up with the recruiter, I was told that I was not selected for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Several people in the interview process asked questions regarding how I discipline my staff. I have been with my current company for a number of years and pride myself on the due diligence I put into my hiring process, and as a result, have had very few instances where I have had to discipline my staff. They did not seem pleased with that. Looking back on it, it seems that they may have been looking for more of a disciplinarian than a manager. It is unfortunate. In the course of management, you may have to discipline people, though I believe that if you put in your work on the front end and hire a top notch staff, you would gain more from having a leader than a disciplinarian.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Recruiter call, phone interview, face to face interview with Branch Manager, phone interview with Market Manager. Background and credit rating check, but no drug test. They want metal working experience when they can get it - those with it will be ranked as more valuable. New trend os to hire younger people with less experience and low ball on salary with a Ford Focus. Experience is not valued. They are now trying to be like Fastenal, not MSC.

Messy, they tried lowballing on salary. Ask for what you want or you won't get much.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview process was good in the 90's They actually spoke to you and treated you like a human being not a number

Interview Questions
    • didn't really ask a difficult question   View Answer

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

We typically have the OSA (Outside Sales Associate) meet with Recruiting, then Recruiting and the hiring manager. Depending about the accounts and territory, perhaps a third round with interested parties.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer how you will generate new business.   View Answer
    I've been with MSC for a number of years.
    I'm a hiring manager and I do not negotiate all that much.

National Accounts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Was contacted by 3rd party recruiter, went through MSC's process which took literally 11 weeks. Including a 3 hour skills assessment test and phone call with a NYC Psychologist.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me 2 things that are not on your resume that should be.   Answer Question

Management Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Process took 4+ months. Initial phone screening interview with HR Recruiter followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Then no communication, i tried to get feedback on progress from recruiter, got the standard line of "we'll get back to you when any decision has been made". Asked to have a few more phone interviews with seemingly random people. Between each interview I had to chase the company for results, next steps and general trying to keep on their radar. Requested that I complete an application form but that had already been done a month before (great paperwork tracking system, not! - this should have been an early warning flag for me). Then 'radio silence' for 2 months, I actually thought that I had been dropped as I couldn't get any response from the internal recruiter.

Final interviews at HQ and were organized very poorly. I was told to arrive at 10am, but when I got there my first interview was scheduled at noon so I had to sit in the building foyer for two hours. The interviews themselves were pretty standard and all the interviewers were very positive about my skills and experience. Then never heard from the company. I contacted them weekly for four weeks asking for an update, eventually I gave up. When they finally got back to me I was told that they were going to repost the position with some different job tasks.

MSC is clearly internally disorganized and has difficulties executing on decisions. I should have listened to my gut early on and not wasted 5 months.