MIT

Updated 25 Nov, 2014

2.9

Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MIT in August 2012.

I was hired for a biomedical research position in a professor's lab. My hiring process seemed very informal, especially compared with my interviews for industry positions and former job at a company. A week after applying, the PI contacted me, and we had an agreeable conversation over the phone. About a week later, he arranged for some other folks in the lab to meet me, show me around and take me out for lunch. None of the questions were very difficult and I was given the impression that an offer was likely given that I was invited in in the first place. Things moved quickly with an offer; I received a verbal offer from the PI, and he asked for my thoughts, got a sense that I seemed likely to accept, and sent me a formal offer a week later. I was working in the lab 2 weeks after my in-person visit. The process was curiously simple, and I would caution others not to assume this is a reliable pattern from lab to lab.

On the downside of "informal", starting at the lab was a bit awkward. On the plus side, a grad student did take initiative to help me get situated, and someone had put together a welcome packet- more than my others before me had gotten. But there really wasn't much by way of official "orientation" or a clear message or timeline concerning what I needed to do to appropriately integrate into the lab.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing stands out. Nobody really went for the tough questions.   Answer Question
    I didn't really manage to negotiate.

Research Assistant Interview

No interview

Received similar offers from multiple universities. Invited for a tour and visiting faculties.

Head Corporate Communications Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MIT in June 2012.

Extremely unprofessional. First of all they have not checked my salary expectations still they have called me over.

MIT Media Lab Undergraduate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at MIT in April 2012.

Earlier in the Spring, I emailed a bunch of labs in the Media Lab for a UROP for the summer. I received very few responses, one of which was from the lab I worked in, which told me they didn't have any open positions, but they would email me if anything came up. The last day before the UROP application deadline, I emailed them again, and they had an open position. I went in that day, and they gave me the job after a few talks with the professor and the grad student I would be working with. So I got the position.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate, as they were not paying me - it was through the MIT UROP office, which has a set wage.

Student Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MIT in February 2012.

I was applying for a student position at MIT. I was interviewed by a graduate who worked in cognitive science. I was in high school at the time and had no prior interview experience. I thought the whole experience was a bit awkward; we didn't find too much common ground to talk about.

Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MIT in February 2012.

it was quite nice and informative and i really enjoyed that plus the environment was quite cooperative and comfortable. i made a good impression and i am quite optimistic about the result :)
    i will advise all to be confident and mature about their interview and by being mature i mean to say be prepared mentally and physically for the interview and don't try to be what you are not. its always the best choice.

Interview Questions
    • what do you really want to do in your life   View Answer
    be confident and natural

Technical Associate - Sponsored Research Staff (Temporary) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MIT in January 2012.

I spoke with the supervisor while a fellow lab researcher listened in, and later the director of the lab group stopped by very briefly. They mostly asked me questions about my technical background based off of my submitted resume, and there was also a simple, open-ended question about the experimental problem the job entailed to assess my thoughts and approaches. Later, I was shown an experiment in progress similar to what I would be working on. The interview was mostly informational in nature, and took 30 minutes total.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose the driver of a push-button ignition vehicle finds his/her vehicle is suddenly accelerating out of control. What would their first reaction be? What improvements need to be made to today's systems to address this?   Answer Question

BA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colombo (Sri Lanka)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colombo (Sri Lanka)

interviewed at MIT in January 2012.

Three interviews and an aptitude exam

Interview Questions
    • Given a scenario and how you can handle the client's requirement   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MIT in December 2011.

Application for admission to graduate school needs to be completed online. It requires GRE score, 3 letters of recommendation (minimum), TOEFL score, SOP (statement of purpose). The deadline for submitting the online application is around December 1 for mechanical engineering department. Once the application is submitted, it is reviewed by the admission committee. If successful in getting admission into graduate school, one can talk to professors in their field of interest to join their group as a research assistant.

Interview Questions
    • Getting admitted into graduate school is the hardest part   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MIT in October 2011.

Wrote an email with my cv; then skype interview about what they're doing and what I'm going to do there; had to provide 3 references that were checked; got applied after references were spoken to

Interview Questions
    • I knew one person there that was interviewed before; I told him that I could conduct some research on a different university. He obviously told them about it, so they asked me what I would do there and why I would prefer to work here.   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate