Los Angeles USD

Updated 31 Dec, 2014
Updated 31 Dec, 2014

2.4

Credentialed Substitute Teacher Eligibility Interview Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Los Angeles USD.

Applied online for a substitute position. I am credentialed. Waited forever (months) with no communication. I had to contact my connection and was able to get an eligibility interview. I thought since it was for a substitute position, the questions would be different but you're asked questions as if you're the teacher of record and would see the students long term and can make long-term decisions regarding the class. Questions were typical teaching interview questions. For other non-credentialed substitute applicants, the interview ends there. But since I'm credentialed, I had to go through the entire interview process as if I was applying for a fulltime record teacher position, even though I was just looking for a sub job. So I had to do a 12 min sample teach and essay writing sample.

No negotiation.

Maintenance Interview

Long process and lacked information on actual job responsibilities. Testing is required and was pretty straight forward. All interview activities are held in downtown Los angeles. The remaing are via phone calls.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions just lack of information where you will be assigned. They inform you after exhausting your time. If you hope to work in the valley, you might as well forget about that. They don't throw much resources there.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Teacher Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Los Angeles USD.

I had one interview for an elementary school teaching position. I was asked several questions, from the standard "Why do you want to work here?" to "Delve into your experience working with children." I am bilingual (Spanish), and the area where the school was located had a majority of Latino students, so that came in handy when explaining my ability to communicate with Spanish-speaking parents if necessary.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply to teach at this school and not X school in another district?   Answer Question
    I was straight out of undergrad so there was no negotiation. My salary was set.

Intern Interview

There wasn't much of an interview process. I got the position after a recommendation through networking. My general impression is that you don't make it into the district without having an "in". Of course, you will have to competent and good at what you do, but you will probably have to network yourself into the mix.

Adult Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Los Angeles USD.

I got this job by fluke. I applied as an adult ed sub. Called in one night to sub. I asked the administrator du jour to model instruction. She did, and asked if I could handle it. I said I did, and I did. I got the job permanently a few weeks later and never looked back until the recent job cuts have affected my pay and job security..

UTLA, the union, and the District, per collective bargaining agreement,

Senior BSA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Los Angeles USD in April 2014.

I had one telephonic and one in person interview. Lots of situation based questions were asked and some on SQL to test my technical skills. I got the offer next day after the interview.

English Teacher Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Los Angeles USD.

Panel with Principal, Administrator, and sometimes there is a teacher or parent.

Interview Questions
    • How would you... scenario questions, but as fellow educators we're made for these off the wall scenarios!   Answer Question

High School Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Los Angeles USD.

its was simple as far as meeting with the district to get fingerprinted, and processed. The interview comes from the school site

Interview Questions
    • basic interview questions regarding situational workplace questions   Answer Question

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Los Angeles USD.

It was fine, as long as you have a college degree and have passed the CBEST.

Interview Questions
    • It has been so long ago; maybe how much math did you have in college?   Answer Question
    None. It is what it is.

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Los Angeles USD.

I was hired at the school and told to go downtown to process the paperwork. After an hour drive in traffic I was told that the person I had an appointment with had gone for a root canal and would be back in 3 hours. I asked if there was someone else who could process my paperwork and the backup person told me that I couldn't be hired at that school because I am white and their numbers were out of compliance. I waited for the original person and he used a different calculator, so the numbers came out OK!

Interview Questions
    • How do you control difficult students?   View Answer