LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Updated Sep 5, 2014
Updated Sep 5, 2014

2.8

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional.

The interview process was pretty standard for this type of position. I applied online and got a call to schedule a phone interview within a few weeks. Phone interview was conducted by the HR person and they asked standard HR questions such as "tell me about a time when you assisted another colleauge" etc. They also asked basic questions such as what salary I wanted and when I would be available to start.

The next step was a face to face interview with the direct manager and it was very informal with no unexpected questions. The only thing that was a bit of a flag is there was not a lot of detail provided about the actual duties and expectations of the position.

The final step was a 10 minute case study presentation in front of the manager and director. They only gave 24 hours to do the presentation and not a lot of detail was provided. It was basically 2 lines of instructions with a small budget. The case study didn't seem to match the job description. As a coordinator you would normally be expected to implement a program once managers have determined strategy, but for the case study they wanted you to develop a strategy.

The most frustrating thing was after going through a lot of effort to prepare the case study they did not follow up at all, even though a week later I emailed the HR person and when I didn't hear back after another week I called. The HR person said they were still deciding and she would call once a final decision had been made which she said would be by the end of the week. Another few weeks passed and no word.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, but the case study did not match the job description.   Answer Question

Account Executive--Law Schools Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional in August 2014.

Really drawn out process; phone interview with one potential co-worker, then another potential co-worker; if you survive these two, phone interview with a THIRD potential co-worker and the boss. Following that, 2-4 go through personality test, in-person interview with a team of 5 where they have about 50 pre-selected questions, two presentations, role-play exercise, and 30-60-90 plan. AFTER THAT they pick one person and do a background check and make an offer. Generally a LOT of very structured questions, seemed like someone read about 10 HR books on interviewing and chose to apply them all, so you're asked to jump through a ton of hoops with silly questions like how do you prioritize your day--not a hard question, but really no chance to show your skills there there. They keep you busy, but without any real opportunity to get to know them or ask questions yourself. I went through the whole in-person process, but didn't get an offer, in fact didn't even get a courtesy email informing me that I was rejected--so they want you to check a lot of boxes for them, but they don't really care about communicating with you. Had I gotten the job, pay was 65k base + up to 10k variable (so you're capped at 75k).

Interview Questions
    • If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be? If you were a brand, what brand would you be? What are three misconceptions about you, and why are they wrong? LOTS of general questions about how you organize your day, how you work with others, sales experience, etc.   Answer Question

Account Executive - Law School Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional.

The interview process is extremely lengthy. There were a total of 5 interviews, including an in-person presentation interview with a panel of 4-5 people in the city where the job was located. 3 of the telephone interviews felt like the exact same interview with different people so it felt like they really wanted to make sure that the person selected was a good fit, but it suggested that they didn't communicate with each other or care about my time. I was given less than a week notice for the in-person interview, which would have been okay had it been in my home city, but since it was in another state in the middle of the week, it was difficult to get the day off and travel. Since it was so last minute, I was unable to get a surrounding day off so I arrived exhausted from the drive (flights were too pricey with so little notice) and returned about 5 hours before work the following day. While I'm certain that the company requires the extensive number of interviews, little notice for interviews, etc. to get the right person, it makes it more difficult if you're unsuccessful because you've invested a ton of time, energy, and money in the position. After all of that, I received no response from the company about the position and, frankly, after the amount of time and money invested in interviewing, no follow up email either way made it clear that they didn't respect my time or effort. I would not apply again.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult; they were standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional.

TEK Systems represented me to Lexis Nexis, back in 2007. TEK Systems paid one way to fly me from Naples, Florida to Dayton, Ohio. I was "too laid back" as they put it to TEK Systems.

Interview Questions
    • They wanted HTML, CSS and basic Javascript. When they prompted me to question back during interview, I was like, this sounds like a pretty easy job & said something like let me see what you've got going on-screen." They didn't want to do that.   View Answer

Legal Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dayton, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional in July 2014.

It took a month and a half from the initial application via their application system to being contacted by a recruiter. Initially, we set a date for a phone interview, but the recruiter canceled it with less than one hour before the interview VIA EMAIL and not by phone. This caught me off guard as I specifically took a day off of work to accommodate the interview appointment. This is also unacceptable given the short notice period and the lack of courtesy to notify me by phone as I am not always tied to my computer. We made subsequent attempts at re-scheduling the phone interview, but the recruiter flatly stated that she rather attends softball practices than to interview me for 15 minutes over the phone and was unwilling to fit me into her schedule. Because I already took a day off for this, I could not take more days off just to have further cancellations, as such I could only conduct interview at or after 5PM, which in many corporations are still considered within business hours. When I contacted her supervisor to lodge a complaint, I received a nice and professional response from him. Thereafter, she lied and called me during a time she proposed earlier at 3PM, a time which I stated clearly I would not be available due to my current employment. This is clear to me that it was her last attempt to show her "effort" to her supervisor at scheduling my interview. It's a "CYA" move at best. No further contact was made about the position even though I wrote her and tried to make nice by characterizing her call as "mis-communication". I am disappointed that such a reputable company would allow a recruiter to treat a job seeker this way since a lot of job seekers who are employed cannot just drop their work to answer phone calls. The fact that I already used a vacation day to accommodate her but she canceled with less than an hour to the interview time should speak volume about how you will be treated once hired. I went from being very excited to be given a phone interview to highly disappointed and irritated by the irresponsible behavior and lack of courtesy of LexisNexis.

Interview Questions
    • To be sure that the talent recruiter will keep the interview time with you.   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Providence, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Providence, NJ (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional in January 2011.

I was already working for the company for five years, so the hire was more of an internal transfer. I had a total of three interviews, one with the VP of our division, one with the Director of CX, and one with the hiring manager who was VP of Product. The most of the questions were related to my background and experience.

Did not negotiate

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durban (South Africa)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durban (South Africa)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 months - interviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional in September 2012.

The hiring agency was very good and professional and arranged everything very well. An initial lengthy test started the process. It was quite difficult to do because it was an extremely noisy environment at the time, so the maths questions were more difficult than they should have been because of the shouting in the office which housed the test booths. The actual interview was arranged by the agency. I was made to wait a while before the interview which started a bit late. Questions were fair. The second interview was with one of the managers. I personally felt that he lacked focus during the interview, or was distracted. He was very charming but I didn't think that he was sincere. I was then left hanging afterwards with no decision, although they'd given the agency the impression that they were keen. It all then dwindled away with the vague "they aren't quite sure what they are looking for" and no actual feedback. Most unprofessional.

User Experience Engineer/UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days - interviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional in May 2013.

I had several phone interviews with different dev teams at this great company in months prior to this opportunity. As soon as they recieved my resume from the contracting agency they called me in immediately for a 1-on1 interview. The entire process took about a week, from submitting my resume, to the interview, and the offer.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't say the interview was difficult, but because the position required advanced UI Design knowledge and experience, you would need to be on top of your game to even hold a conversation with these folks. So from my perspective I wasn't thrown any difficult questions in the interview as my portfolio and previous dev experience speak for themselves. We discussed my portfolio, prior work experiences, websites I've built and designed, and then we looked at some internal applications and discussed what my approach toward updating the UI would be.   Answer Question
    Contract position, initially for 3 months which "could be" extended after that. Generous benefit package (through contracting agency). My contract was extended several times for total engagement of 13 months on site.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dayton, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional in July 2014.

I applied through a recruiter, and received a request for an interview within a few days. Initially was a telephone interview and then followed up with an in-person interview with the team a few days later. Upon arrival I met with the team in a conference room with a projector screen, then we went over some previous projects I've worked on as well as some source code. Most of the process was going over a little bit of 'code review' as well as a conversation regarding their project and current challenges. At the end of the interview I felt confident that I would be resourceful to the team.

Interview Questions
    • I suppose some would find being questioned by a group of people difficult. However I found it exhilarating.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

After a phone screen I finally landed an in-person interview. It was very awkward from the beginning. The hiring manger sent a calendar invite with the location of "My Office." Sure, "My Office" might be recognized by his browser and log in credentials, but nobody else's (remember that this is an IT manager). After emailing for clarification, he didn't reply until five minutes before the scheduled interview. Luckily I had found the headquarters but still didn't know which building, etc. He replied "When you enter the campus there are two buildings on your left. Go to the entrance." This still didn't clarify whether one of the two buildings on the left or the main building. I managed to enter the main building, although it wasn't the one he was trying to tell me, he found me nonetheless. The people were friendly, didn't notice anything cult-like. Pretty standard interview despite being interrupted by someone attempting to deliver an ergonomic chair. I elaborated on my experiences with x, y and z appropriately. The very next day I received a rejection email. Next please.

Interview Questions
    • Any experience with functional programming languages?   View Answer

Worked for LexisNexis Legal & Professional? Contribute to the Community!